What's new

What Became of Player Development?

homeytennis

Remember in days of yore when folks would rave about the Jazz development of young players. How is that working now? It seems like we have zero prospects ready to bubble up and help the varsity. Emmanuel Mudiay anyone?

What's wild is Donovan and Udoka are the only 1st round guys on the roster we've drafted the past few seasons. The next earliest pick we drafted who's still on the roster is freaking Rudy. All other players have either been traded or let go.

As far as the undrafted, 2nd rounders go... yeah - it's kind of depressing. Mostly guys who fill out the roster. It's wild the undrafted guys (Ingles/Royce) cracked our rotation so quickly after arriving and the 2nd rounders are meh.

Remember in days of yore when folks would rave about the Jazz development of young players. How is that working now? It seems like we have zero prospects ready to bubble up and help the varsity. Emmanuel Mudiay anyone?

so...the jazz are currently holding the #1 recording in the league

joe ingles a guy cut by the clippers
donovan mitchell drafted 13th
rudy gobert drafted 27th
clarkson 6th man of the year
royce o neale a good defender undrafted
the minivan

i mean wth are you going on about here? the development has been insane. some players are just not good enough for the NBA. u can't turn everybody into a damn NBA started. If you can take a player drafted late to become a good role player thats called successful player development. if you can take a late draftee and turn them into a starter you've hit way above expecations. if you can turn a late draftee into an all star you hit the jackpot.

so...the jazz are currently holding the #1 recording in the league

joe ingles a guy cut by the clippers
donovan mitchell drafted 13th
rudy gobert drafted 27th
clarkson 6th man of the year
royce o neale a good defender undrafted
the minivan

i mean wth are you going on about here? the development has been insane. some players are just not good enough for the NBA. u can't turn everybody into a damn NBA started. If you can take a player drafted late to become a good role player thats called successful player development. if you can take a late draftee and turn them into a starter you've hit way above expecations. if you can turn a late draftee into an all star you hit the jackpot.
Holy **** yamers was positive

Part of the answer is the management went all in on Conley and the cap space he took with him. I realize there has been bad luck with Dok but Hughes picture is on the back of a milk carton as is Oni and Brantley's right now. I shudder to think if Rudy went down.
That's been my point all along. A few of us actually. Conley cut so deep into our money, and then we didn't really ever address our biggest issues. Favors has been decent to get Gobert rest for a few minutes a game, but there is no way in hell he could carry our defense if Gobert went down. If we lose Gobert we are done, period. We'd be out in round 1, likely swept. Yes Conley played like an all-star, and when everyone plays with purpose we are very tough to beat. The problem is you tip the scales just a bit and we are a paper tiger. We didn't address our 2nd biggest problem, which is perimeter defense, and that has cost us games and might cost us our chances in the playoffs. I think we can go far this year, we might have what it takes to win it all, but it will take focused play. And the way we played against the wolves absolutely won't cut it.

That's been my point all along. A few of us actually. Conley cut so deep into our money, and then we didn't really ever address our biggest issues. Favors has been decent to get Gobert rest for a few minutes a game, but there is no way in hell he could carry our defense if Gobert went down. If we lose Gobert we are done, period. We'd be out in round 1, likely swept. Yes Conley played like an all-star, and when everyone plays with purpose we are very tough to beat. The problem is you tip the scales just a bit and we are a paper tiger. We didn't address our 2nd biggest problem, which is perimeter defense, and that has cost us games and might cost us our chances in the playoffs. I think we can go far this year, we might have what it takes to win it all, but it will take focused play. And the way we played against the wolves absolutely won't cut it.
Then consider how expensive/impossible it is to bring back an equally competitive team next season............... This is our shot......... And we’re sorta pissing away our best odds right now.

This year in some games it would have been really helpful for the deep bench to step up when the rotation players couldn't catch a cold. Like the last two games.

RJ is breaking out and randle is having a career year. Don’t know how much of it is attributable to Johnny but still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stars had a player (Yogi) just sign a rest of the season contract with the Clips yesterday. Everyone's fav RHJ also signed a rest of the season contract with the Blazers.

Part of the answer is the management went all in on Conley and the cap space he took with him. I realize there has been bad luck with Dok but Hughes picture is on the back of a milk carton as is Oni and Brantley's right now. I shudder to think if Rudy went down.
That is not part of the answer. That is part of the *reason why we need player development in the first place because that is how you get decent players without paying the big buck. We spent it all on Conley so we desperately need the likes of Oni, Brantley, Hughes, Dok to turn into something. Teams with money to spend like the Lakers can afford to disband their player development entirely. Not us.

That is not part of the answer. That is part of the *reason why we need player development in the first place because that is how you get decent players without paying the big buck. We spent it all on Conley so we desperately need the likes of Oni, Brantley, Hughes, Dok to turn into something. Teams with money to spend like the Lakers can afford to disband their player development entirely. Not us.
Our history with two way players is sad. Nate Wolters, Eric Griffin, Eric McCree, Naz. JWF. Bolomboy, Ty Wallace, Tyler Cavanaugh, NWG and Marcus Paige. You would think we would have hit on a higher percentage. I guess Niang and Royce will be it.

Undrafted players who have been development successes, last five years:

- Ingles
- O'Neale
- Niang (and I thought I'd never say that as recently as six months ago)

Brantley looks promising, too.
As far as Ingles, O'Neale and Niang, these are guys that just fell into our lap. Not a lot of player development was necessary as they all had skills.

Shaquille scored 11 points yesterday against the Raptors.
I still can't believe we gave away Shaquille Harrison to keep Forrest.