What's new

what do you think ? Jazz should not rush to trade Enes Kanter

Article blows as evidenced by this quote

Kanter's ability to go from "ZERO outside shooting reinforcement for his entire career" to being "a guy who can hit threes on the regular" is unprecedented.

1. Kanter can;t hit 3's on the regular
2. It's not unprecedented at all. Paul Millsap is a name that immediately comes to mind.
3. Favors has been a better mid-range shooter than Kanter this year.

Also not sure how you can write an evaluation on Kanter and not mention he is one of the worst passers in NBA history, which isn't even a hyperbole. Dude makes Al Jefferson look like Magic Johnson.

Also not sure how you can write an evaluation on Kanter and not mention he is one of the worst passers in NBA history, which isn't even a hyperbole. Dude makes Al Jefferson look like Magic Johnson.
Lol

Is this your day off Cy?

Lol

Is this your day off Cy?

It's early morning, just getting my Kanter rants in early.

If the dude could ever learn how to pass at an above average level he would be a monster on offense. We could actually run offense through him in the post and he would either punish single coverage or find open shooters when teams doubled. He has the worst court awareness I have ever seen mixed with extreme selfishness. If he could even become an average passer he would be a very good offensive player.

I have no hope for his passing ability though. He has had over half a season with a coach who preaches passing and he has actually regressed as a passer.

It's early morning, just getting my Kanter rants in early.

If the dude could ever learn how to pass at an above average level he would be a monster on offense. We could actually run offense through him in the post and he would either punish single coverage or find open shooters when teams doubled. He has the worst court awareness I have ever seen mixed with extreme selfishness. If he could even become an average passer he would be a very good offensive player.

I have no hope for his passing ability though. He has had over half a season with a coach who preaches passing and he has actually regressed as a passer.
I mean how hard could it be to pass the ****ing ball? It is like the first thing they teach you when you sign up to a basketball school as a kindergartener or a prime-er. 6-11 is enough to kick it out of doubleteams but his perception is horse sighted. But he has passing skills. He can pass it if he intends to. Just needs to get it into reflexes. I have hope for his passing. No hope for defense though. Pretty sure he is just shy of fouls and injuries. Boring bball.

You guys talk about Kanter -- passing is not usually one of the major skills of bigs.

But you should be talking about Burke. It's not that he can't pass, the pig-headed hero-baller won't pass the damn ball. Last game, in my opinion, he was why the Jazz lost. There were a number of situations when he was either double-teamed or forced a shot when there were other guys wide open. I just hope the Jazz find a way to trade Burke for something valuable.

If we could somehow trade Kanter for Sap straight up we would nearly instantly be contenders.

You guys talk about Kanter -- passing is not usually one of the major skills of bigs.

But you should be talking about Burke. It's not that he can't pass, the pig-headed hero-baller won't pass the damn ball. Last game, in my opinion, he was why the Jazz lost. There were a number of situations when he was either double-teamed or forced a shot when there were other guys wide open. I just hope the Jazz find a way to trade Burke for something valuable.

Passing is EXACTLY what made Malone such a force to be reckoned with. They knew they couldn't just simply double him every time he touched the ball because he could find open team-mates. He averaged close to 4 assists per game on top of 25 pts and 10 boards. For a 20 freaking year career. Good golly I miss Malone. :/

Anyway, back to Kanter. If he could simply learn to pass out of a double or even play back and forth with the PG while in the post it would open up his offensive game immensely. But he doesn't, and doesn't even try, and so he is able to be doubled to force turnovers, which he produces at a MUCH higher rate than assists.

I've changed my opinion of Kanter...again.
Any trade offer we get is going to be peanuts. Frankly, there's a much better chance of Enes continuing to improve than of getting a steal in the late 20's or early second round. Yes, I know...we got Rudy at #27. That's like getting struck by lighting.

There was a play last night that absolutely gave me hope. Kanter came out and set a DEVASTATING screen. Knocked the guard flat so Trey could get a shot. Enes quickly turned around and ran in to get in position for a rebound (shot was made). He had some nice moves around the basket. But yes, he did turn into that one double team and was tied up.

Jazz are in a conundrum. Enes would be a great player off the bench. But if they were to start Exum AND Gobert, that puts two offensive duds on the court at once. As much as I like Rudy, he only scores off putbacks and lobs. And that's ok...IF the Jazz have guards who can shoot (which they don't).

The Jazz have 4 bigs with different skill sets. Quin has shown he's willing to mix and match according to the situation. Sure, Utah could go after a stretch-4 in the draft. But we may already have that in Booker. He only has 1 year left, but I'd bet he'd stay if given the MLE. Ultimately, I don't think DL or QS is going to give up on Enes. Call it the Wesley Matthews or Howard Eisley syndrome. Utah is terrified of having Kanter turn into a great player elsewhere. And I mirror their concern. IMO, Kanter suffered the most under the reign of Ty the Terrible. He had his playing time yo-yo, received inexplicable DNP-CD's after good games, and last year was made the scapegoat by the media for many losses. Add to that no college experience and injuries and he's been set back a few years of development. I still think he has considerable upside.

Passing is EXACTLY what made Malone such a force to be reckoned with. They knew they couldn't just simply double him every time he touched the ball because he could find open team-mates. He averaged close to 4 assists per game on top of 25 pts and 10 boards. For a 20 freaking year career. Good golly I miss Malone. :/

Anyway, back to Kanter. If he could simply learn to pass out of a double or even play back and forth with the PG while in the post it would open up his offensive game immensely. But he doesn't, and doesn't even try, and so he is able to be doubled to force turnovers, which he produces at a MUCH higher rate than assists.

I'm not saying that it won't help Kanter to be a good passer or even adequate passer. It's just that Burke's aversion to passing is so egregious and not because he lacks court awareness like Kanter, which makes his inability to pass more inexcusable.

We lost the game when Kanter gave up 16 points to Aldridge in the first quarter. Quinn is grooming Burke for the 6th man role who is in there to shoot off the bench. If you want a starter to pass more, you need to look over at Exum who can't even stay in the damn game and is forcing Trey to do his job too.

Yes, but you take good shots not force it up because your role is to be a shooter. You make yourself more valuable when the defense keys on you and you can hit the open man. Burke sometimes doesn't even look to pass no matter what the situation.

I've changed my opinion of Kanter...again.
Any trade offer we get is going to be peanuts. Frankly, there's a much better chance of Enes continuing to improve than of getting a steal in the late 20's or early second round. Yes, I know...we got Rudy at #27. That's like getting struck by lighting.

There was a play last night that absolutely gave me hope. Kanter came out and set a DEVASTATING screen. Knocked the guard flat so Trey could get a shot. Enes quickly turned around and ran in to get in position for a rebound (shot was made). He had some nice moves around the basket. But yes, he did turn into that one double team and was tied up.

Jazz are in a conundrum. Enes would be a great player off the bench. But if they were to start Exum AND Gobert, that puts two offensive duds on the court at once. As much as I like Rudy, he only scores off putbacks and lobs. And that's ok...IF the Jazz have guards who can shoot (which they don't).

If Rudy could only develop a jumpshot from the elbow, where they like to place him a lot on offense, he would instantly be a top 10 player.

I'm not saying that it won't help Kanter to be a good passer or even adequate passer. It's just that Burke's aversion to passing is so egregious and not because he lacks court awareness like Kanter, which makes his inability to pass more inexcusable.

I agree with you about Burke, but they are two separate issues, not an either/or situation at all. Both need to learn to pass the ball.

I mean how hard could it be to pass the ****ing ball? It is like the first thing they teach you when you sign up to a basketball school as a kindergartener or a prime-er. 6-11 is enough to kick it out of doubleteams but his perception is horse sighted. But he has passing skills. He can pass it if he intends to. Just needs to get it into reflexes. I have hope for his passing. No hope for defense though. Pretty sure he is just shy of fouls and injuries. Boring bball.

Passing is one of the hardest things to do in basketball. You have to see the whole court know where guys are and read where defenders are going. If you don't do it quickly the lanes close. I think it's much harder personally.

I coach 1st and 2nd grade basketball... all of them can shoot and score... One of them can pass. It's like being a quarterback... generally it takes a lot of studying and the right kind of intelligence. I don't think Kanter is stupid, but I think he's a stupid basketball player. I agree with Cy if he figures this out he'll be amazing on offense... if not he a decent bench big that can get you some buckets if you feed him.

I agree with you about Burke, but they are two separate issues, not an either/or situation at all. Both need to learn to pass the ball.

Or even just do something with it quicker. Kanter can actually score on his guy though, whereas Trey dribbles endlessly for contested long twos. How the hell did he not give the ball to Hayward last night in the fourth... guy was killing it and didn't see the ball for 4 or 5 possession because Burke was going hero ball... sad thing was that he'd had a decent game until that.

If Rudy could only develop a jumpshot from the elbow, where they like to place him a lot on offense, he would instantly be a top 10 player.

Yes yes yes.

Hell give him one move, just ONE solid decent move around the basket and his value jumps immeasurably. I would love to see a 10-foot and in jump-hook. Just that. His release would be ridiculously high so no one could ever even bother it, let alone block it. And then boom...12 ppg, 12 rpg, 3.5 bpg, 2 apg, 1+ spg. BOOM BITCHES!

Heh.