What's new

What does LeBron need to do to surpass Jordan?

power yes, speed no. put it this way, bron's speed advantage on karl is bigger than karl's strength advantage on bron.

so overall power/speed ratio, i gotta give it to 2007-2009 bron. 88-91 karl was very close. but just didn't have the 2nd gear like bron did IMO.
Imagine a soldier injured on a battle field. Which guy should carry him while running away? You are underestimating Karl's speed and overestimating bron's strength, imo. LBJ is the better baller but Malone's strength advantage is bigger than bron's speed advantage fo sho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uWPKNUwEtw

agree to disagree

karl did not have the best straight line speed in his position IMO. 76ers charles was faster. i know charles was smaller, but charles did play at 255-260lb almost his entire prime. charles was very dense in his core and he probably had twice more bodyfat. i bet half of his weight was in his big fat ***. i never seen them in a foot race, so it's all speculation, but that's how it appeared on tape. and we all know charles was strong as an ox.

but bron has the fastest straight line speed in his position IMO. probably top 5 all time.

i hate discrediting karl, but IMO Bron is a one of kind. in a freak power/speed ratio scale, karl is tier below to wilt/shaq/bron. and i have to say most basketball critics would agree. if karl did what he did at 7ft / 285lb frame than yes he should be up there.

frankly, i think karl carried too much muscle. i always wished he drop 10lb of muscle so he becomes more fluid.

...Karl had the perfect combination of muscle and finesse! Any less muscle and those "and 1's" he got would have been cut in half! Anymore muscle and his free throw shooting would have suffered along with his deft touch around the basket! Lebron is definitely faster than Malone, but Malone trumps that little bit more speed with a little bit more basketball brains, true or false?

...Karl had the perfect combination of muscle and finesse! Any less muscle and those "and 1's" he got would have been cut in half! Anymore muscle and his free throw shooting would have suffered along with his deft touch around the basket! Lebron is definitely faster than Malone, but Malone trumps that little bit more speed with a little bit more basketball brains, true or false?

i don't know what you are smoking, but lebron has a great basketball brain. he really studies the basketball, knows the history, and plays the game right away. he may not be the killer, but his basketball brain cannot be questioned.

Shaq may be a 99 on physical ability but he was far from a 99 as far as specimens go. For the far majority of his career, he was overweight. He should've hovered right between 285-305 and instead always seemed to be in the 310-330 area.

Shaq may be a 99 on physical ability but he was far from a 99 as far as specimens go. For the far majority of his career, he was overweight. He should've hovered right between 285-305 and instead always seemed to be in the 310-330 area.

285lb shaq ain't shaq. he was 300lb+ from day 1. just look at his massive frame. and it doesn't matter if he was overweight or not. he averaged well over 36min first 12 years of his career. he could power over dudes because he was that much bigger than everybody else yet still ran like gazelle. if shaq isn't a physical specimen than nobody is a physical specimen.

Lebron will never surpass Jordan in my eyes. I don't remember Jordan ever flopping and the 265 lb. Lebron falls over like a feather when touched. I also don't remember Jordan ever shoving the man guarding him out of the way time after time, then breaking to the basket for a wide open shot. Yes I remember one time Jordan pushed off. Lebron and Wade both push and shove and then cry to the refs if anyone touches them. I dislike both of them no end.

In terms of passing MJ, this beat down at the hands of the Spurs extinguished any chance LeBron had left.

In other words, LeBron will never be GOAT.

This fact refreshes me. Let's talk about something else. Maybe we could try talking about TEAM BASKETBALL?

I don't remember Jordan ever flopping

6081114162_eae14ba471_o.gif

I think a lot of it had to do with the era MJ played in. The late 80's-90's in the NBA was just a ton more physical than it is today. If LeBron/MJ switched places and LeBron had the accolades that MJ had the conversation would be the exact same if MJ was playing now. But if LeBron played in that era and had the finals record he had today (I don't think he would have 4 MVPs playing in that era) he wouldn't be in the GOAT conversation. I get LeBron is built like a freight train but when you are getting flat out punched when driving in the lane it takes a toll on you. So unless LeBron wins 4-5 more Championships and I would say 3 MVP's I don't think he will surpass Jordan.