What's new

What happened to Gobert???

bumping this thread one game later. lol we <3 you rudy

Sent from the JazzFanz app

After the early season has passed, I'm gonna ask the same question.

What happened to Gobert?

He didn't progressed a bit and it looks like he regressed.

(The opener in my thread has this preseason clip of Adams and lately Utah played in the regular season against OKC again, and he got smashed again by Adams for example).

After the early season has passed, I'm gonna ask the same question.

What happened to Gobert?

He didn't progressed a bit and it looks like he regressed.

(The opener in my thread has this preseason clip of Adams and lately Utah played in the regular season against OKC again, and he got smashed again by Adams for example).

The officials let Adams get away with a lot of physical play that should've been called. The main issue with me for Rudy is that he needs to get more physical. It seems that he tries not to foul and they call it anyway if it looks like a foul, at least that's what it looks like to me. So, even if he's more aggressive I don't think they will call any more fouls than they are already calling. Also, he's dropping a lot of passes and fumbling the ball. It looks like he's not ready to take on a more offensive role. I think he needs to do that, mentally, and I think his turnovers will decrease. It's a mental thing, just like with Trey missing all those shots. Since he started thinking he was entitled to shoot and that he would make them, his percentages have gone up.

Yeah, Rudy has fallen back to earth a bit. I think it's to be expected as no one really knew who the **** he was last season. This season, opposing teams know that the kid is light and easily toppled so they go at him and are physical with him. He's unfortunately been on the wrong side of a lot of highlights this season, the most recent one being the **** CP shoving him to the ground. That's some garbage. Go!bert needs to gain some muscle and work on his hand strength in my opinion.

hand strength is a real issue, but solvable to some extent, Going strong and just clasping that ball hard is something he can work on. Becoming significantly stronger generally will be hard. He can't really gain girth, he is not a bulky or lowerbody strong type of guy, and will probably never be. But anyway it is clear that teams know better how to fight against him, how to make him uncomfortable on O and use his weaknesses in D.

Nevertheless while going through these growing pains and his own form of rookie wall (after having started playing a lot more early 2015 than having had the Euro) he remains a defensive monster, intimidating the crap out of offenses around the league.... And while he will never be Kareem nor Hakeem on O, there is some margin there, we will see where it goes.

Beyond his personal skills and improvement, let's not forget that he is a big guy and big guys are a lot more dependent on the rest of the team to be efficient on O. Maximising how the team uses him, learning how to leverage his size and relative speed, etc... all those things take time but will make a difference. My guess is that we are still looking at a 10/12/2,5 to 3 type of season from him and stats putting him up there as one of the best defenders in the league and close to already being the best defender at his position...

So it's not going to bad as it stands, it's just that we shouldn't think of him as something else as a Mutombo style of player : D is where he will reigns supreme, the O will always be and extra.

He hasn't regressed. His opponent FG% at the rim is even better than last year. So are his blocks.

He still has real issues on O but his D is as good as ever.

One of the best things to do for him is to get him a reliable back up so he isn't playing long minutes at the speed he plays at. Witness what happened to Davis in the 4th quarter of the last game. It is impossible yo physically dominate big minutes every game.

One of the best things to do for him is to get him a reliable back up so he isn't playing long minutes at the speed he plays at. Witness what happened to Davis in the 4th quarter of the last game. It is impossible yo physically dominate big minutes every game.

Agreed, and TBH I've liked what Withey has done in limited minutes. Give him a few more and let Rudy rest a bit.

If you watch closely CPs foot actually trips him and puts him off balance. Then at the same time CP shoves him in the groin. It was just a cheap play by CP. Nothing to do with his strength.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I would not say that 9 points 11 rebounds and 3 blocks is regressing. He looks lost at times still, which to me says he has a lot of room for improvement. It is encouraging to see his passing improving. I would be that he can up his rebound totals as his mental focus improves, as well as his scoring and assist totals.

He needs to improve hand strength and coordination, but it is lightyears ahead of where it was a year ago at the beginning of the season. He will look a bit better by the end of the season. I am really excited for him to get a little older, smarter and stronger. I really think he could be a guy that gets 5 blocks and 14 rebounds a game, while averaging double digits in scoring. The passing is the thing that has me really excited though. That, along with finishing well around the rim, is huge for spacing.