What's new

What the Jazz offense might look like.

Utah Jazz offence under coach Snyder

Here's the video posted by one of the better basketball channels on youtube BBALLBREAKDOWN about the offense we can expect from the Jazz in the new season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMQAIdo40uU

There's a nice variety and some Spurs influence it seems :)

Well looks like Quin has installed some pretty nice sets already basing off of what the Spurs are doing.

Coach Nickkk forgot to mention we'll also have Booker who is a good mid-range shooter and Novak who's the very definition of 'Stretch 4' so I think these sets will suit them very well indeed.

Cool video other than the fact that Coach Nick has no idea that Favors can't shoot mid-range and Kanter actually can. Every time he talked about a big popping out for a shot, it was Favors and Kanter was the guy down low cleaning up or cutting. Pretty big error for a guy who usually knows his stuff.

Reactions: ema
He called the Jazz a shot for the eight spot!

Put this guy to the nutjob house.

I kid. I hope it will be much more entartaining and rich basketball wise for the Jazz. And healthy. Nothing is more important than health.

Well looks like Quin has installed some pretty nice sets already basing off of what the Spurs are doing.

Coach Nickkk forgot to mention we'll also have Booker who is a good mid-range shooter and Novak who's the very definition of 'Stretch 4' so I think these sets will suit them very well indeed.

Cool video other than the fact that Coach Nick has no idea that Favors can't shoot mid-range and Kanter actually can. Every time he talked about a big popping out for a shot, it was Favors and Kanter was the guy down low cleaning up or cutting. Pretty big error for a guy who usually knows his stuff.
These.

I actually followed that guy's videos for a while and like his stuff but he sounds like he didn't even study the Jazz roster. Like he doesn't even know that Kanter has a better range and Novak signed with the Jazz.

Yah, the thing about Kanter is an oversight, but I believe him overlooking Novak or Booker is not a big deal, he was simply using our starting lineup and main rotation to give examples about what we can expect. Novak probably won't see enough time, and Booker is clearly a backup for Favors/Kanter at the 4 spot.

These.

I actually followed that guy's videos for a while and like his stuff but he sounds like he didn't even study the Jazz roster. Like he doesn't even know that Kanter has a better range and Novak signed with the Jazz.

I tweeted this to him last night

@Konsickwence
@bballbreakdown Good breakdown, but Jazz expect Kanter to shoot 3s, and we got Steve Novak, so plays for shooting bigs make a lot of sense.

To which he replied

@bballbreakdown
@KonSICKwence OMG - I forgot Novak will be there. Offensively, that should help him for sure

Seems like he doesn't believe Kanter has that range. I hope Kanter can surprise some people this year.

Reactions: ema
Optimistic approach: Our big men will shine in this system. Kanter's PnP and Favors' PnR will destroy opponent's frount court. Both of them are gonna be living on the FT line. Kanter's offensive rebounds will reach the sky. While motion offense, solid double screens will be opening lots of ways for Hayward and Burke to operate ; midrange shooting will be key for the offense.

Pessimistic approach: As we see the sets, big men's offensive awareness and passing skills are obligation for the motion offense and Kanter has got really weaknesses about them. The other area is; sharing the ball perfectly and not holding the ball as Kanter type on the low block. Screen, pass and then roll or shoot. So lots of turnovers will happen from big men and fast break points will bite our ***. Also, outside shooting is so so much matter in this system. All goal is, make comfort zone for the shooter and we do not have solid options on this. Inside-outside unbalance on offense will cause selfish plays of Burks, Hayward and we will see good but less efficient numbers of both of them.

Still, so encouraging to see someone try to create several ways to score unlike Corbin.

Well to be honest, who would know Kanter has the range? We don't even really know. We hope and we have heard from other people from the Jazz's practice that he can do it. I wouldn't be so critical about him glazing over Kanter, plus Favors mid range game has improved each year.

Oh Lord Almighty! Let this season begin and let your creation prove his range for all the world of JazzFanz community to see and get convinced! Amen.

Well to be honest, who would know Kanter has the range? We don't even really know. We hope and we have heard from other people from the Jazz's practice that he can do it. I wouldn't be so critical about him glazing over Kanter, plus Favors mid range game has improved each year.

Anyone who can read a shot chart. Not that Kanter's shot chart shows an exceptional mid-range shooter, but it shows he is a way better mid-range shooter than Favors.

Here's a second video showing some of the plays. They aren't explained, but it's still nice to see. I really liked the BLOB Box Double STS play and the Elbow X play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj2paWXXmm4

Can you link me to some stats? It'd be interesting to see.

Shot charts from vorped.com

Kanter 13-14. Keep in mind shoulder injury, mid-season bicep injury, and just how cramped the offense was.
attachment.php

Kanter 12-13
attachment.php
]

Favors 13-14
attachment.php

Favors 12-13
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 74
So I'd say Favors would look like the better jump shooter and is improving, just by the shot charts.