What's new

What would you consider good sophomore season for Dante?

I'm just gonna say it because Of the apparent thirst for knowledge on this thread. Exum is gonna have a rough 2nd year. People like Yamers and Green will be shouting bust (!!!) a lot next season. There will be some serious doubt but then, in his 3rd year, the clouds will part rays of light will flood down and destroy the darkness of doubt. Dante will have a great year his 3rd year and we will be looked at as a contender in the West.

I'm just gonna say it because Of the apparent thirst for knowledge on this thread. Exum is gonna have a rough 2nd year. People like Yamers and Green will be shouting bust (!!!) a lot next season. There will be some serious doubt but then, in his 3rd year, the clouds will part rays of light will flood down and destroy the darkness of doubt. Dante will have a great year his 3rd year and we will be looked at as a contender in the West.

Dante will be like Hayward. Figure it out by his 5th year. Very cerebral player, it takes time.

I want to see Exum initiate the offense, attack the basket and try to beat opponnents off the dribble....but mainly initiate the offense.

7pts 3.5 assists 2 rebs % 40 and % 33 is where I expect him to be next year.

With Dante, all I'm asking from him is to put up George Hill production.

For next season, Id be tickled pink with 10/5/3 with 35% from 3, and 42% from the field.

Hopefully he grows to average like 14/6/3 with 40% from 3 and 45% from the field. That's enough offense from our PG-- Hayward, Burks, and Burke will be putting up points too, as far as guards are concerned.

The Utah-Indiana comparison (of a couple years back) is an interesting one, now that Gobert is playing like prime Hibbert on defense (not yet the offense).

Exum vs. Hill
Burks vs. Stephenson
Hayward vs. George
Favors vs. West
Gobert vs. Hibbert

We have the better bench-- but Stephenson of that post-season run > Burks. I think George and Hayward are a wash (always have felt that way). An interesting team to compare ourselves to, moving forward.

Yeah... He's played a lot like how Brevin Knight played for us his las year here on offense. Hardly got into the paint dribbled around for no reason up top, would pass and then just hoist jumpers from his mother in laws house. Knight by the way had no business being in the league when he was in Utah. He was done. As Jalen Rose says, just keep collecting those checks.

dante is already more impacctful than brevin was at that stage of his career while he was in utah, but man, he role is so passive. not sure who to blame

dante is already more impacctful than brevin was at that stage of his career while he was in utah, but man, he role is so passive. not sure who to blame

At this point his lack of physical strength and experience with this level of physicality is the main culprit, methinks.

I also think that if he was as impactful in offense as he's on defense and as clueless in defense as he's in offense, people would be much happier with him.

I like winning, but I love the process of becoming winners. It has been so fun to see Hayward go from that rough diamond in his rookie year to the polished one he is now. And Rudy go from ugly duckling to prom queen. And Favors...

What really excites me now is guys like Dante and Rodney rising up to their full potential. And with them the Jazz becoming a juggernaut.

This is fascinating stuff.

Why would I call him a bust? I've been saying all along it will take time with him, but he is every bit as good as advertised.

Heck, I said all summer to pretend Exum isn't even on the team this year.

There is a reason why most freshmen red shirt their first year on campus: to get their bodies up to par.

This year is Exum's redshirt year.

I like winning, but I love the process of becoming winners. It has been so fun to see Hayward go from that rough diamond in his rookie year to the polished one he is now. And Rudy go from ugly duckling to prom queen. And Favors...

What really excites me now is guys like Dante and Rodney rising up to their full potential. And with them the Jazz becoming a juggernaut.

This is fascinating stuff.

i like this post and agree with 99.99% of it.
what exactly do you mean by juggernaut tho.

My bad Greenie, I must have misunderstood you in a few of your posts. I suppose I am not on enough to obtain a firm enough grasp of how people feel about most things. I'll try and be more careful in the future.

The Utah-Indiana comparison (of a couple years back) is an interesting one, now that Gobert is playing like prime Hibbert on defense (not yet the offense).

Exum vs. Hill
Burks vs. Stephenson
Hayward vs. George
Favors vs. West
Gobert vs. Hibbert

We have the better bench-- but Stephenson of that post-season run > Burks. I think George and Hayward are a wash (always have felt that way). An interesting team to compare ourselves to, moving forward.

Your comment about Gobert not equaling Hibbert's offense is an interesting one, Dal. Truth he told, Hibbert uses a possession below the league average and I wanna say Gobert is better than that. I get that maybe he does not try to do a lot in the post but there is a lot to be said about trying to only do things you can do efficiently. Its like Josh Smith shooting jumpers: It should never happen. Maybe Hibbert and Gobert should never try to do much offensively.

jug·ger·naut
ˈjəɡərˌnôt/
noun
a huge, powerful, and overwhelming force or institution.
"a juggernaut of secular and commercial culture"

Can't a guy dream?

Why would I call him a bust? I've been saying all along it will take time with him, but he is every bit as good as advertised.

Heck, I said all summer to pretend Exum isn't even on the team this year.

There is a reason why most freshmen red shirt their first year on campus: to get their bodies up to par.

This year is Exum's redshirt year.

Name me all the pro basketball stars who red shirted their freshman year? Damain Lillard maybe. I understand your premise, but the idea that big time athletes are red shirting regular in hoops just isn't accurate.

I see him on a Hayward development trajectory so far. I'll bet he puts up a few solid games towards the end of the season.