What's new

What would you consider good sophomore season for Dante?

stitches

2023 Prediction Contest Winner
Well... with all the offensive struggles Dante has had in his first season, I think we all expect him to be better in his second season. How much better though? What kind of statline for next season would you consider as good from him?

My expectations for his current season were kind of low - you can check here... and to a certain extent I was correct. His 3P shooting has been better than I expected, but his overall offensive game hasn't.

For me to consider his next season as a good step forward he'd need to post something like:

25MPG, 9PPG, 4.5APG, 2.5RPG, 1SPG, 42% FG, 33% 3PFG, 70% FT... oh and preferably >2.5FTA/36

What about you?

Anything. Just contribute ANYTHING.
Just found this picture of Dante in his native land.

lahr_lion.jpg

You have to admit "Cowardly Lion" would be a helluva accurate nickname for Dante right now.

My real wish would be for the Jazz to acquire a decent starting PG and send Dante to the bench, but that isn't going to happen. The Jazz are so frightened he might be outplayed by Neto, Perrrin indicated Raul will probably stay in Europe for another season. This kind of ******** needs to be stopped by the NBA. If a player WANTS to come over, the team that drafted him should bring him to camp or forfeit his rights. If he's good enough to stick on a roster, then he sticks and the team maintains his rights. If the team cuts him, he's a free agent. Why should a guy like Ingles be able to search for a team, when a talented player like Neto is prohibited from coming to the NBA?

This is from another thread but I think it's worth reposting here:

Post ASB with Exum starting.
The Jazz are 6-2 (lost to Lakers and Celtics)
+8.4 point differential (2nd in the NBA)
83 ppg allowed (1st in the NBA)

He offense might be terrible but he is a smart kid and a pesky defender already. And his team is winning games!

Good thread, we're all wondering about this. I would want to come up with a certain number of FT's per game, that would mean that he's actually starting to look to attack the rim. Not sure what number to put out there but yeah...

I mean come on Dante, where's your Australian pride, make Utah fans the proudest fans in the NBA, we have put a lot of hope in you. Remember the loud ovation you got when you were selected in the draft and the hundreds of people that left their homes to watch this happen live at the ESA. Come on Dante, you'll be alright, you have the physical tools to be able to shine in this league.

I want to believe. I want you to be one of the reasons the Utah Jazz get a ring. Cause' that's another thing folks, fans like Spurs, Lakers or Celtics fans have already been there, they've tasted the glory. Guys, can you imagine winning a championship here? Our Utah Jazz? The reason why we spend so much time on this page, throwing out our ideas on how we think this team could finally become the NBA champs , hence the World Champions of basketball? I'm feeling sentimental about the Jazz tonight, maybe it's the dozen beers I've ingested, but I'm gonna go ahead and click on 'Save'.

Utah%20Jazz%20Suites.jpg

Utah Jazz forever baby

Last edited:
I hope Exum case does become Kanter case. Most Jazz fans are doing the same thing with Exum that they were doing with Kanter. Young and inexperienced player, getting drafted at rare high pick because of potential by a franchise that resides in a state that sees basketball as their main sports so more radical and intense than other fan bases, has nearly no pro experience, but has high expectations over him.

Young and inexperieneced players sometimes need to be set free and let the game come to them. Sometimes expectations and responsibilities block them from their potential.

It's pretty simple in my book: same defense, increased shooting percentages, increased assists, and drive to the rim at least a couple of times per game.

It's pretty simple in my book: same defense, increased shooting percentages, increased assists, and drive to the rim at least a couple of times per game.

Agreed, I don't expect a great leap forward next year, but hopefully by the year after. Coming along slower than we could have dreamed, but realistically I do not think you could have expected a lot more. You can see the potential in there though.

green said:
Exum - 15 mins/7 PPG/2 RPG/2 APG/1 SPG
Hood - 20 mins/7 PPG/3 RPG/1 APG/<1 SPG

I've said this and I'll keep saying it. Exum isn't playing for Utah this year. We just have some skinny DLeaguer and Exum is taking a RS year. You'll enjoy that DLeaguer more this year and Exum more next year if you look at it this way.

I posted that in the other thread that was linked here. I like my prediction. Right now Exum is at 5pts/2 Rebs/2assists/1 steal. Me likey. Mall I'd change for this year is Exum taking three more shots per game. His defense is a lot better than I had hoped for. I actually feel better about Exum now than I did before the season.

What I want for his "rookie year" next year (because he is on his redshirt year this year, and we have a DLeague scrub wearing Exum's jersey):

Stronger. 25-30 mins per game. 10 shots per game. 10 pts, 3 assists, 2 Rebs, 1 steal, increase percentages. Shoots three FT's a game.

If he can do that, I think he breaks out big time in his third season. Big time.

I think so much of his improvement will rely on him getting stronger. Without that there won't be a big improvement. But if he gets stronger we'll see a Hayward-like improvement, maybe more. When he beefs up his assists will probably go through the roof as he draws more attention and goes for the rim.

number one thing i'd like to see is his attempts at the rim up ten-fold. Would do wonders for his development to have to think in the paint in stead of the stand-still catch and shoot game he's at now.

12ppg, 5.5assists, 3reb, 35% from 3pt.

I think this is way too lofty. This is hopefully where he is at by his 3rd year. I think he's gonna have a rough 2nd year tbh. But I keep having to remind myself that Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors kind of looked like busts early on too at times so its okay.

number one thing i'd like to see is his attempts at the rim up ten-fold. Would do wonders for his development to have to think in the paint in stead of the stand-still catch and shoot game he's at now.

Yeah... He's played a lot like how Brevin Knight played for us his las year here on offense. Hardly got into the paint dribbled around for no reason up top, would pass and then just hoist jumpers from his mother in laws house. Knight by the way had no business being in the league when he was in Utah. He was done. As Jalen Rose says, just keep collecting those checks.

I think so much of his improvement will rely on him getting stronger. Without that there won't be a big improvement. But if he gets stronger we'll see a Hayward-like improvement, maybe more. When he beefs up his assists will probably go through the roof as he draws more attention and goes for the rim.

4 years from now, hopefully his body looks like its been chisled by the hands of Zeus. Hopefully he looks like Corey Maggette when he was playing for the clippers and getting to the line like 13 times a game.