What's new

Which Jazz player was biggest disappointment ever to you?

CJ, Kirk Snyder, Robert Whaley, Humphries, and this year's Raja Bell would have to be at the top of the list for me. With honorable mentions to Al Jefferson...

Didn't red everyone's responses, but I have to go with John Amaechi. It was thought that he'd be an amazing force, given his time in Orlando, but once he got here, the chemistry was so horrible (especially with Sloan) that he really never proved anything.

I read somewhere that Luther's mother took control over the $153k/year "annuity" while he was wasting away his life on drugs, and now the money is likely all gone.

I'm not sure if it was his mother, but I do remember reading that he sold his annuity to one of those JG Wentworth sort of companies and pissed away the money. Though it's possible he also let someone else do it and they screwed him, but regardless he's not seeing it.

Here's an excellent article on him from 5 years ago.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/660226789/At-rock-bottom-Luther-Wright-finds-salvation.html

When the Jazz cut him in 1994, DiFazio, converted his five-year, $5 million contract into an annuity that would pay Wright $158,000 for the next 25 years. But Wright's mother, Mae, had gained control over the annuity when Wright was mentally unstable, he says. She used it as collateral for a large loan. Payments on that loan ate up much of the money.

Wright won't say how she spent the money. He refuses to allow access to his mother, whose health, he says, is deteriorating.

Most of the rest of the money went to child support payments to four children Wright supposedly fathered with four different women, leaving just a small piece — he won't say how much — for Wright himself.

Sounds like he's had a rough go of it, but about 1-2 years before the article was written he started turning his life around. Hopefully he's continued to do well in the 5 years since.

I think it has to be Carlos Boozer. But with this attitude, it just might be a good thing he stayed out. I wouldn't want him on my roster.

Hehe. This comment earned me an obviously butt hurt AKMVP neg rep

AK is the easy answer here. He was a huge drain and disappointment after signing his huge deal. Killed the Jazz flexibility for years. 86 million and they got one average to slightly above average player who didn't play every night.

Thread: Which Jazz player was biggest disappointment ever to you?

you have short memory. AK played same or even better for two years after he signed his max deal. His production dropped during 3d year after Sloan and Deron made him irrelevant on Jazz offense. Hardly his fault.

Rigby was on the radio and he said that the Jazz have received two offers from groups to buy the team in the last three months. He stated that the new CBA now makes owning a team extremely profitable. Owners don't care about winning. I bet half the owners in the NBA are disappointed in the super teams, but after they cash their checks, they will realize that being Sterling is better than competing.

This CBA may have ruined the NBA. If another is negotiated with out at least a one year lockout, then the NBA has resigned itself to WWE status.

Definitely a strong exaggeration, but I was screaming from the rooftops that the owners really didn't give a **** about the parity of the league and that the lockout was more about investment firms improving the return on their investment than anything related to basketball.

Easily it has to be AK. He may have not been used the most efficiently, but his lack of work ethic is what really disappoints me. Instead of working on his game in the off season, he spent the summers playing for the Russian team. He was the last one to practice and the first one to leave. He spent more time reading Russian comic books than working on his jump shot. Why in the world did Larry give him a max contract.

Hehe. This comment earned me an obviously butt hurt AKMVP neg rep

Thread: Which Jazz player was biggest disappointment ever to you?

you have short memory. AK played same or even better for two years after he signed his max deal. His production dropped during 3d year after Sloan and Deron made him irrelevant on Jazz offense. Hardly his fault.

Well, you stated wrong facts - just admit it. You are entitled to your opinion who is most disappointing player, but give other reasons. Say his production went downhill starting 3d year of his max contract ( if you ignore real reasons and want to blame AK only - that's fine as well ) - I would have no problems with that. But when people forget that his stats were great during first two max contract years, that he lead league in blocks after max contract, that he had 5X6 after max contract and was elected to NBA ALL defensive team after max contract it makes me really question if you even remember what happened in 2005-2007.

In retrospect, Luther Wright stands out as a disappointment. However, I was only 9 when Wright was drafted. In terms of who disappointed me the most once I was old enough to know more of what was going on with the team, I'd go with Raul Lopez. It might have been Kirilenko, but I saw him play one season in 2001-02 and a small part of 2002-03 before going on a mission. He had already signed his max contract when I got home, and while I got to see him do very well for a couple of seasons, I never felt that my expectations for him were as high as many other peoples'.

has anyone mentioned Jamie Watson yet?

!Bw68Qm!Bmk~$(KGrHqZ,!hIEv1+0HSMuBMLMq-,uSw~~_3.JPG