What's new

Which Jazz player was biggest disappointment ever to you?

colton

All Around Nice Guy
Contributor
I was listening to Locke yesterday, https://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjazz/ (Sept 6 Tip-Off), and he gets into which players have been the biggest disappointments in Jazz history. Could be a player the Jazz drafted that never turned out, one they traded for, etc. For him, he said it was Chris Morris and he gives his reasons.

For me, the person I immediately thought of was Kirk Snyder. I'd have to think longer to be sure he's the *most* disappointing, but for now that's who I've got.

Anyone else?

I disagree with Chris Morris, because I thought he did help the team in the playoff runs.

I agree with Snyder. Also Morris Almond, Quincy Lewis, Luther Wright, Curtis Borchard, Jose Ortiz, Kosta Koufus, Raul Lopez (because we could have taken Parker).

And I'd have to add CJ Miles.

Probably someone else is more disappointing if I think about it, but Kris Humphries was the first player that came to mind.

That was the player I wanted going into the draft and I thought he was gonna be awesome for us.

just a note:

Because we've historically drafted outside the lottery and added complementary pieces to a core of Stockton and Malone, the chances that the biggest disappointment in jazz history is CURRENTLY ON THE ROSTER is relatively high. Scary.

Last edited:
just a note:

Because we've historically drafted outside the lottery and added complementary pieces to a core of Stockton and Malone, the chances that they biggest disappointment in jazz history is CURRENTLY ON THE ROSTER is relatively high. Scary.

I was thinking the same thing. It's almost a guarantee.

Intially, I was going to Say Luther Wright or Curtis Borchardt, as they could have been the starting centers that the Jazz needed during the mid-to-late 90s. Then I thought of Raul Lopez and Jose Ortiz because the Jazz could have drafted Tony Parker and Reggie Lewis (RIP) instead. Ultimately, I think the biggest disappointment thought is Kris Humphries because he wasn't good in a Jazz uniform, but has since blossomed into a solid player. That to me is the biggest disappointment for a team: when a draft pick doesn't produce in your uniform but excels elsewhere.

i have to agree that it is CJ.. because he would show moments of greatness just to show us 20 more times of disapointment.. he kept getting our hopes up.

I don't know about this. I was never too high on any FA, because I never thought a good FA would come to Utah. Also, I didn't get too much into the draft hype, because our draft position has always sucked. I think the player I was MOST excited for joining the Jazz was Boozer, and while I was glad to see him go, he did very good (and bad) things while he was here. Hard to hate a guy that helped you get to the WCF's.

The players that immediately come to mind are Magic Johnson, Dominic Wilkens.

Like mentioned above, I am worried our biggest bust is one of the big 3 (Burks was taken too low to be that big of a bust).

With dishonarble mention going to Kris Humphries, Felton Spencer and Keon Clark I'd have to go with Luther Wright.

Wright joined the Team in 1993 as the #18 draft pick. Wright had been projected to go higher but 'fell' to the Jazz. The team had struggled the year before losing in the first round of the playoffs to Seattle. Mark Eaton had retired, Mike Brown was not getting the job done at center and Ike Austin was about to cash in on a big payday and leave town. The team was going through a major reload around Stockton and Malone and the center and sg spots were the positions needing upgrades.

At the time Karl was tearing the league up despite being gaurded night after night by the opponents Center and doubled by the pf.

To me at the time Wright seemed too good to be true, a gift sent down from heaven. When does a skilled, big bruising center fall to playoff team at #18? --NEVER, but he did!

Yes he was young, but the Jazz were also bringing in Felton Spencer. Two young centers, I was stunned. But it was Wright who captured my attention and inspired dreams of Jazz championship. He was a young, relativley unknown 7-2 270 lb guy and the highlights they showed about him on the local media were of thundering dunks and swatting shots out of the air. And everyone talked about how he had played for an established team at Seaton Hall and his coach gave the Jazz glowing reviews.

Even after he went crazy I wanted to believe that maybe just maybe..........

To add insult to injury I read where the jazz had reached a settlement with him on his contract. He went crazy, couldn't do his job and the Jazz still had to pay him his full contract, but the lawyers argued and got the payments stretched out over 25 years so me and the Millers can continue to be dissappointed until 2020.

With dishonarble mention going to Kris Humphries, Felton Spencer and Keon Clark I'd have to go with Luther Wright.

Wright joined the Team in 1993 as the #18 draft pick. Wright had been projected to go higher but 'fell' to the Jazz. The team had struggled the year before losing in the first round of the playoffs to Seattle. Mark Eaton had retired, Mike Brown was not getting the job done at center and Ike Austin was about to cash in on a big payday and leave town. The team was going through a major reload around Stockton and Malone and the center and sg spots were the positions needing upgrades.

At the time Karl was tearing the league up despite being gaurded night after night by the opponents Center and doubled by the pf.

To me at the time Wright seemed too good to be true, a gift sent down from heaven. When does a skilled, big bruising center fall to playoff team at #18? --NEVER, but he did!

Yes he was young, but the Jazz were also bringing in Felton Spencer. Two young centers, I was stunned. But it was Wright who captured my attention and inspired dreams of Jazz championship. He was a young, relativley unknown 7-2 270 lb guy and the highlights they showed about him on the local media were of thundering dunks and swatting shots out of the air. And everyone talked about how he had played for an established team at Seaton Hall and his coach gave the Jazz glowing reviews.

Even after he went crazy I wanted to believe that maybe just maybe..........

To add insult to injury I read where the jazz had reached a settlement with him on his contract. He went crazy, couldn't do his job and the Jazz still had to pay him his full contract, but the lawyers argued and got the payments stretched out over 25 years so me and the Millers can continue to be dissappointed until 2020.

too long, resume it bro.

i'd go with cj freaking kilometers

just a note:

Because we've historically drafted outside the lottery and added complementary pieces to a core of Stockton and Malone, the chances that they biggest disappointment in jazz history is CURRENTLY ON THE ROSTER is relatively high. Scary.

Hats off to you, sir!

al-jefferson-jazz.jpg

David Benoit vs. Houston in 1995 stands out for me.
My expectations for Chris Morris weren't that high, but he was a disappointment.
Larry Krystoviak was supposed to be this great player, but wasn't.
Eric Murdock was potential unfulfilled. Same with Blue Edwards, but whatever.

Everybody is happy with John Amaechi? He was signed to quite large contract at that time to be starting center next to Malone but sucked so bad that he barely played.