What's new

Which Jazz player was biggest disappointment ever to you?

AK is the easy answer here. He was a huge drain and disappointment after signing his huge deal. Killed the Jazz flexibility for years. 86 million and they got one average to slightly above average player who didn't play every night.

Probably someone else is more disappointing if I think about it, but Kris Humphries was the first player that came to mind.

That was the player I wanted going into the draft and I thought he was gonna be awesome for us.
That's a good choice. Because of his draft position and the fact that he subsequently developed into a nice player puts him high on the list. The Jazz just couldn't wait on him to grow out of diapers.

1. CJ Miles. This kid had SO MUCH potential. Easily the most athletic player the Jazz have had and by all accounts was a fantastic player in practice. Had flashes here and there, but could never perform on a high level with consistency in actual games.

2. Carlos Arroyo. Could have been a great PG, but he spent too much time looking at his reflection as he dribbled, and dribbled and dribbled some more. Thankfully when he left, so did the rabid Arroyoheads who were ruining Jazzfanz.

3. Jose Ortiz. Should have learned not to draft Puerto Ricans after the failure of Ortiz. Dominant player in the PR leagues (> 20/10 for several seasons). Lazy and soft as Charmin in the NBA.

4. John Amaechi. I don't care what his orientation was(is). This guy signed a FA contract with little intent of earning his money. You want to listen to Streisand and put pretty flowers in your entryway? Fine. That's your life choice. But your employer is paying you to play BB, not rehearse musicals in the back of your mind.

5. Derek Harper and Rony Seikaly. Could either have been the "missing piece" for a championship? We'll always wonder what would have happened had they not refused trades to Utah.

6. Derek Fisher. Because he either a) believes LA is closer to New York than Utah, or b) wasn't aware the Concorde did not make supersonic coast-to-coast flights. I'm glad he was widely despised during the CBA negotiations, and then dumped by the Lakers at the deadline. He got what was coming to him.

7. Greg Miller. Larry H. may have been TOO passionate about the Jazz. At times some of his actions were over the top or embarrassing. But at least he cared. Greg? Well, he failed to give his support to a HOF coach and let a petulant all-star PG win the battle of wills, only to then turn around a week later and trade him. NICE flip-flop, Greggy Boy.

I won't list Wright and Snyder as they had mental problems. Was there a failure by Jazz scouts or during the interview process to notice signs of mental instability or just an unfortunate turn of events post-draft?

HM goes to AK and Boozer who could have/should have been among the league greats, but never had the right attitude or toughness to man up and play at 100% effort all the time, despite their outrageous salaries. By no means "busts," but I had such high hopes for those two.

We're still paying Wright? He just jumped to the top of my list. Kirelenko is high on my list, too. I loved the guy early in his career but he bailed on us mentally once he got paid.
I thought this was a great settlement. Mental illness is so sad. I have a relative with bipolar disorder. I kind of know what brought it on, or at least was a major contributor. Some of it her fault, some of it not. In Luther's case, who knows why the guy just snapped and started banging on garbage can lids? The 25-yr payout should have supported him for the rest of his life: living expenses and medical care/counseling. Hope his relative is using most of the money to take care of Luther instead of on herself.

Please stop repeating that BS nonsense about his contract and production.
AK did what drives me nuts about NBA contract negotiations: He saw Pau Gasol get a max extension and said 'me too'. This is why contracts go up and up, because players see the other guy get a big contract and then hold out until they get one. Then someone else does the same thing and it goes on and on. I was a pretty big AK fan before the max contract, but his demand for a max contract rubbed me the wrong way and I never felt the same, and coincidentally, he never played the same. Frankly, I didn't think that Deron should have been given the max. Maybe close to it, but the max should really be given to the Lebrons, and only after they have proven their worth, not based on potential.

But that's only my opinion.

AK did what drives me nuts about NBA contract negotiations: He saw Pau Gasol get a max extension and said 'me too'. This is why contracts go up and up, because players see the other guy get a big contract and then hold out until they get one. Then someone else does the same thing and it goes on and on. I was a pretty big AK fan before the max contract, but his demand for a max contract rubbed me the wrong way and I never felt the same, and coincidentally, he never played the same. Frankly, I didn't think that Deron should have been given the max. Maybe close to it, but the max should really be given to the Lebrons, and only after they have proven their worth, not based on potential.

But that's only my opinion.

Only a hard cap would fix the problem. After Stern leaves and more small-market teams wise up and get fed up with being feeders for LA, NY and Miami, there MIGHT be changes. I really hope the league shuts down for 1+ years when the next CBA negotiations come around. This model is broken. And nothing changed with the stoppage. Rich owners got their amnesty (just like last time) and were able to go out and spend like drunken sailors again. Big market teams don't mind exceeding the luxury tax mark because they make up for any penalties with additional revenues.

May as well go to a 6-team "Super League" with a minor-league system for the rest of the teams.

Only a hard cap would fix the problem.
I disagree only with the 'only', because revenue sharing would fix it, too, but the fact the owners balked at that shows they weren't serious about fixing the problem. Ideally, though, you'd have both a hard cap and revenue sharing.

5. Derek Harper and Rony Seikaly. Could either have been the "missing piece" for a championship? We'll always wonder what would have happened had they not refused trades to Utah.

In Seikaly's case, nothing would've happened. He got hurt right after and never played again. Actually dodged a bullet there.

In Seikaly's case, nothing would've happened. He got hurt right after and never played again. Actually dodged a bullet there.

So the same sequence of events surrounding his injury would have played out if he was on another team in another state?

Why hasn't AK been mentioned. It was simply a breath of fresh air to watch him play the first few years, then he got paid. The jazz brought in better offensive players in D-Will Boozer and Memo, and no longer did we see the AK that was 5*5 player who was all over the place blocking shots getting steals and all the hustle plays. Was he used incorrectly? Maybe, but great players find a way to fit in, and contribute.

For me AK was the most disappointing in jazz history. All those other guys were all hype. AK was an Allstar for the jazz then fell off, and kept us from getting better because of his max deal. I like AK but he should've done more.

Why hasn't AK been mentioned. It was simply a breath of fresh air to watch him play the first few years, then he got paid. The jazz brought in better offensive players in D-Will Boozer and Memo, and no longer did we see the AK that was 5*5 player who was all over the place blocking shots getting steals and all the hustle plays. Was he used incorrectly? Maybe, but great players find a way to fit in, and contribute.

For me AK was the most disappointing in jazz history. All those other guys were all hype. AK was an Allstar for the jazz then fell off, and kept us from getting better because of his max deal. I like AK but he should've done more.

This is the right answer.

I didn't want to say it earlier because I didn't want all the kirilenktards ruining this thread. But yeah, it's AK by a mile.

just a note:

Because we've historically drafted outside the lottery and added complementary pieces to a core of Stockton and Malone, the chances that the biggest disappointment in jazz history is CURRENTLY ON THE ROSTER is relatively high. Scary.

Had this exact thought.

For me personally - and I think this is more of personal thing than an objective right or wrong answer - it was CJ Miles. Quite frankly, I'm too young to have deep impressions on players before the Deron era (considering I took '98-'07 off for sport-hating adolescent time).

Miles did have one good year, and it was the first full regular season that I was crack-addled and following everything (07-08). It also happened to be a contract year. And he happened to sign an offer sheet with one of the best FOs in the NBA (which in retrospect actually validates my being high on him). He was an efficient scorer, but he would also just go off. After the Heat game in December, he was a focused, productive, and young player. He looked like he could maybe turn into that long-sought legitimate 3rd option. Or at worst, a really nice release valve on the offense with a well-rounded skillset and physical profile. I went to bat for him, and I did so pretty hard. Somewhere in the '10-'11 season I had finally had enough. He made me look bad for putting my neck out for him.

So yeah, that's mine. Even though I understand that the Jazz have really paid him squat and he was drafted in the 2nd round.

How Andrei Kirilenko wouldn't win a vote on this, though, I would never understand.

Check his stats after the signing, mate. It gets ridiculous.

Correct. He didn't fall apart until the Jazz could start running the offense they've always wanted to run and always been most successful at. At the end of the day, AK played just for fun, and once he got his feelings hurt, he was never the same player. I wouldn't call putting a lien on your organization and your ability to win to pay that guy anywhere in the universe of a good thing.

Greg O: seeing stock and malone come to camp in great shape, busting their asses day in and day out, and thinking how great the finals teams could have been with 1/2 that effort from GregO. I can't imagine what it must have felt to stock/ malone to have this guy drag them down, when compare to his potential if he had given a rat's patooee and got into shape. If he had, we'd have a championship in SLC.

Though I'm one of AK's biggest fans, it has to be AK because he's the only player for whom I ever had expectations. Like others say, all the rest were based mainly on potential. AK had shown more than just potential; he showed that he had abilities that should've developed a lot more than they did.

AK could have been a HOF player. Imagine if he had embraced his 5*5 abilities. Hasn't a 5x5 only been accomplished by 4 or 5 players in the HISTORY of the NBA? Imagine if he had retired with 20+ 5x5's, top 5 in blocks, and 4-5 All NBA defensive POY awards. He would have been in the hall of fame for sure. Too bad he felt scoring 15 a night was more important than the Hall.

Only a hard cap would fix the problem. After Stern leaves and more small-market teams wise up and get fed up with being feeders for LA, NY and Miami, there MIGHT be changes. I really hope the league shuts down for 1+ years when the next CBA negotiations come around. This model is broken. And nothing changed with the stoppage. Rich owners got their amnesty (just like last time) and were able to go out and spend like drunken sailors again. Big market teams don't mind exceeding the luxury tax mark because they make up for any penalties with additional revenues.

May as well go to a 6-team "Super League" with a minor-league system for the rest of the teams.

Rigby was on the radio and he said that the Jazz have received two offers from groups to buy the team in the last three months. He stated that the new CBA now makes owning a team extremely profitable. Owners don't care about winning. I bet half the owners in the NBA are disappointed in the super teams, but after they cash their checks, they will realize that being Sterling is better than competing.

This CBA may have ruined the NBA. If another is negotiated with out at least a one year lockout, then the NBA has resigned itself to WWE status.