What's new

Which name do you prefer for our team?

Which name do you prefer for our team?

• Utah Jazz

• Utah Mountain

• Utah Wasatch

Results are only viewable after voting.
Confession: I only ever ate the fries. But I would specifically go there for the fries and fry sauce.
Part of me is glad its gone. It would 100% be something you remembered being awesome as a kid and then as an adult its not nearly as good.

Until he moves it to draper

Oh I see someone beat me to it. Point still stands

Draper Jazz?
Draper City Jazz?
Draper would actually work better with Ryan's preferred names... "Draper Dribbling Yetis." It's gonna be really, really cool. There's going to be a lot of trick shots and acrobatics. It will be like the Harlem Globetrotters. We're not gonna win but everyone's gonna leave being very entertained. There will be bounce houses for kids.

Part of me is glad its gone. It would 100% be something you remembered being awesome as a kid and then as an adult its not nearly as good.
Yeah, I've wondered how many things from my childhood I would actually like right now if I wasn't biased from watching it as a kid. Like I really love The Naked Gun films and Spaceballs... but any kind of new stupid movie post 1995 that's come out, count me out. I wonder if that's how I would have felt about those movies if I saw them for the first time as an adult.

As a kid, I also remember thinking Sizzler was a fancy restaurant. It was my last meal the afternoon I went into the MTC and I finally realized it was garbage. That was the last time I ate there.

Also, someone mentioned Golden Swirl. HOWEVER, did anyone ever eat at Paradise Yogurt, by the Smith's on 1300 East and Sego Lilly in Sandy? It was there up until like maybe... '91 or '92... that was the most incredible frozen yogurt in the world. Absolutely amazing. Golden Swirl tasted like ground cardboard in comparison.

New Orleans would never be able to offer enough for the name back.

Did you know New Orleans only had their team for 5 years before moving to Utah? We've had the name "Utah Jazz" for 45 years compared to their 5. If a Jazz owner ever thought of changing our name, I would question their intentions of even being a "Utah Jazz" fan.

It's just a name and a rather silly one. Nobody really listens to jazz anymore, it has nothing to do with basketball, sport or any idea of competition. This name is hard to graphically represent on the uniforms and merchandize, it is awkward to call the players "jazzmen". Compare it to the iconic bull of the Chicago Bulls - there is no contest whose name is cooler in any conceivable way.

If they change the name you all will whine for a year, totally get used to it after 2-3 years and 5 years later only few old men shouting at clouds will remember and care.

There are so many good names that sound great and can look on the uniforms. The Utah Tigers... Lions...Panthers...Orcas...Owls...Spiders. Any of them is better than the music that was popular 100 years ago in a far away city. Even the Utah Square Dance somehow sounds more meaningful.

It's just a name and a rather silly one. Nobody really listens to jazz anymore, it has nothing to do with basketball, sport or any idea of competition. This name is hard to graphically represent on the uniforms and merchandize, it is awkward to call the players "jazzmen". Compare it to the iconic bull of the Chicago Bulls - there is no contest whose name is cooler in any conceivable way.

If they change the name you all will whine for a year, totally get used to it after 2-3 years and 5 years later only few old men shouting at clouds will remember and care.

There are so many good names that sound great and can look on the uniforms. The Utah Tigers... Lions...Panthers...Orcas...Owls...Spiders. Any of them is better than the music that was popular 100 years ago in a far away city. Even the Utah Square Dance somehow sounds more meaningful.

1718052820949.gif

People definitely still listen to Jazz and it's highly influential on popular music today. Are you 12 years old?

The subject itself is kind of interesting.
I believe fans in and out of Utah will still go for the team if the team is successful, no matter the name.
And I believe if the team continues the uncomprehensible path it's been walking lately, fans will falter in spite of the Jazz name.
All that said, some empiric data would be nice.... anyone knows if there are any stats regarding fandom impact for the Washington Commanders or Capitals?

People definitely still listen to Jazz and it's highly influential on popular music today. Are you 12 years old?
People still listen to opera too, all of those three old guys in New York and San Francisco. So what? How many of the under 30 crowd listen to jazz? 1%? Jazz is part of an old geezer generation even in the USA and it is even worse in other countries. It is something the overwhelming majority of young(ish) people have no emotional connection with. This name is really, really bad long-term. And, as I said, it is really hard to market for merch.

And that's OK, the world is changing and we don't have to have our teams named the Utah Halberdiers or the Chicago Gentry. The names should be cool and attractive to new generations of fans, don't you agree?

And, anyway, the name "Jazz" is not associated with any past glory. Rather, it is firmly tied to probably the most universally disliked NBA player, Karl Malone. A clear break would be awkward at first but clearly beneficial in the long run.

Last edited:
People still listen to opera too, all of those three old guys in New York and San Francisco. So what? How many of the under 30 crowd listen to jazz? 1%? Jazz is part of an old geezer generation even in the USA and it is even worse in other countries. It is something the overwhelming majority of young(ish) people have no emotional connection with. This name is really, really bad long-term. And, as I said, it is really hard to market for merch.

And that's OK, the world is changing and we don't have to have our teams named the Utah Halberdiers or the Chicago Gentry. The names should be cool and attractive to new generations of fans, don't you agree?

And, anyway, the name "Jazz" is not associated with any past glory. Rather, it is firmly tied to probably the most universally disliked NBA player, Karl Malone. A clear break would be awkward at first but clearly beneficial in the long run.

Jazz music is the the zenith and The Mailman is a god to anyone who knows **** about basketball. You need to rethink your life.

Hopefully I didn't skim past it, but did I miss something about Ryan wanting to change the team name?

I'm pretty pessimistic about the upcoming NHL team name so I sure as hell don't want to roll the dice on Ryan renaming the Jazz.

People get excited about celtics in Boston? People really love wearing their knickerbockers in New York? The Philadelphia under 30 crowd is really into 1776? People in Brooklyn like nets... maybe we like shoe laces? You could've made an argument for guns and bullets in DC but no, we get Wizards (Ryan was behind that rebrand, BTW). The pelicans? Suns? Nuggets? Trail blazing really gets the blood pumping for those in Portland?

Hopefully I didn't skim past it, but did I miss something about Ryan wanting to change the team name?

I'm pretty pessimistic about the upcoming NHL team name so I sure as hell don't want to roll the dice on Ryan renaming the Jazz.
The discussion was opened in very non-reassuring terms from Ryan.

good point but these last ones all make sense
They definitely make sense but the only reason they sound okay is because we grew up with them and they’re normalized. They’d sound pretty stupid if we hadn’t heard them before and they were new expansion teams.