What's new

Who gets waived?

Which player(s) will be waived before the season starts?

• Butler

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Dok

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • NAW

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Bolmaro

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Stanley Johnson

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Saben Lee

Votes: 53 60.2%
  • Gay

Votes: 44 50.0%

• Total voters
He's a negative-value contract right now. Next year, he might have value in a trade as an expiring, but in the meantime he doesn't want to be here and doesn't fit.
He's barely negative. He wasnt even that bad last year and he was coming off injury. He proves himself this year and he will opt out to sign to a team that wants to give him minutes on a playoff roster. He's a great salary matching piece and we got no reason to waive him.

I still think there's a chance that Butler can turn into a George Hill-type player. He's not as long defensively as Hill, but his instincts and feel actually look a bit better to me. He hasn't had much opportunity to play on a spaced floor with rotation-level players around him. It's just too early to give up on him.

The more I watch THT, the more he's starting to give me Emanuel Mudiay vibes, but as he's still so young it's worth trying to develop him.

There's ZERO reason to be optimistic on JB at this point and he absolutely deserves to be one of the players cut and based on tweeting from Larsen he has not impressed this off-season.

He's barely negative. He wasnt even that bad last year and he was coming off injury. He proves himself this year and he will opt out to sign to a team that wants to give him minutes on a playoff roster. He's a great salary matching piece and we got no reason to waive him.

I think Rudy Gay is in an Ed Davis situation. Try to move him to a team that wants a wily vet. Hopefully, he's not a negative in the locker room. If Dennis Lindsey were here, he'd probably attach a pick to move him.

Gay has no future with the Jazz. He may not have a future anywhere.

Why would we waive Gay? He's a huge salary matching piece in any potential trade.
I’d consider it… salary matching shouldn’t be too big a problem. I might send him home and wait until after the trade deadline though. Only reason to do it now is if there is someone you really want to keep and there are no trades out there.

I think Rudy Gay is in an Ed Davis situation. Try to move him to a team that wants a wily vet. Hopefully, he's not a negative in the locker room. If Dennis Lindsey were here, he'd probably attach a pick to move him.
Ed Davis was truly awful.

Rudy Gay was OK but was a bad fit for Quin's system/style.

Ed Davis was truly awful.

Rudy Gay was OK but was a bad fit for Quin's system/style.

Gay fell behind both Hernangomez and Paschall in the rotation by the playoffs. Coaches argue that it was matchup-dependent, but that's probably being generous. Jazz will get a read on his status within the first two days of camp.

If it were me, I'd try like hell to trade him or consider buying him out. Jazz need to know if there is any team in the entire league that wants him. We have to assume the Jazz tried to trade him all summer.

Would Suns trade Crowder for Gay
Would that work money wise
Next question is what Jazz do with Crowder
What would Suns do with Gay

Gay fell behind both Hernangomez and Paschall in the rotation by the playoffs. Coaches argue that it was matchup-dependent, but that's probably being generous. Jazz will get a read on his status within the first two days of camp.

If it were me, I'd try like hell to trade him or consider buying him out. Jazz need to know if there is any team in the entire league that wants him. We have to assume the Jazz tried to trade him all summer.
No **** the Jazz are trying like hell to trade him lmao.

They arent going to just waive him for nothing though when he can be used for salary matching in big trades. His 16 mpg isnt going to ruin our roster.

Would Suns trade Crowder for Gay
Would that work money wise
Next question is what Jazz do with Crowder
What would Suns do with Gay

If the Heat get desperate and don't get Crowder, I could see them taking Gay. That's the kind of situation he'd need to go to -- a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency backup option for a veteran playoff team.

The argument is that they lost PJ Tucker and their rookie is nowhere close to being ready.

Maybe I'm wrong and Gay is making a huge stink behind the scenes and they come to a buyout agreement, but I'm not seeing it.

There's ZERO reason to be optimistic on JB at this point and he absolutely deserves to be one of the players cut and based on tweeting from Larsen he has not impressed this off-season.
There’s also zero reason to give up on him. He had a ****** summer league. He had a great preseason last year and had a few sparkles last year. He showed the ability to get a separation last year. Didn’t hit his step back but it’s a shot he showed he can create. I’d like to keep him but with our present roster situation he won’t be playing much.

We’ll see I guess… they got a month to figure some shot out.

There’s also zero reason to give up on him. He had a ****** summer league. He had a great preseason last year and had a few sparkles last year. He showed the ability to get a separation last year. Didn’t hit his step back but it’s a shot he showed he can create. I’d like to keep him but with our present roster situation he won’t be playing much.

What you mean there is no reason? Somebody has to get cut. You aint really got an option, some players have to go. And I'm sorry, a 2nd year guy who was an upperclassmen from college shouldnt be that bad in SL in their 2nd year.

Like I said, I truly think this isnt predetermined. Players will have a chance to prove themselves. Butler has a lot of factors working against him though, so he really has to be above and beyond better.

Maybe I'm wrong and Gay is making a huge stink behind the scenes and they come to a buyout agreement, but I'm not seeing it.
I don’t think you are wrong… I just think it’s all on the table right now. If they decided to just let him go now to remove a potential distraction I wouldn’t be surprised. If he’s still on the roster at year end I’d be mildly surprised.

I don’t think you are wrong… I just think it’s all on the table right now. If they decided to just let him go now to remove a potential distraction I wouldn’t be surprised. If he’s still on the roster at year end I’d be mildly surprised.
I think the realization that Gay will probably be on the roster all year is what led them to selling a bit low on Bogey.

It's not that hard to construct minutes around giving Gay enough minutes to keep him relatively content. It would be hard to do that w/ him and Bogey.

The Jazz's whole summer league team sucked. Yeah, Butler didn't shoot well, but a lot of that is because he's dancing around with the ball and shooting off balance. He needs to just spot up and either shoot or make a simple play. He's not *that guy* at this level.

What you mean there is no reason? Somebody has to get cut. You aint really got an option, some players have to go. And I'm sorry, a 2nd year guy who was an upperclassmen from college shouldnt be that bad in SL in their 2nd year.

Like I said, I truly think this isnt predetermined. Players will have a chance to prove themselves. Butler has a lot of factors working against him though, so he really has to be above and beyond better.
There’s no on court reason to give up on him as a prospect. He had a ****** summer league… it’s not ideal obviously but it’s a small wonky sample to make judgements. There is enough history as a college shooter to believe he brings those percentages up. Roster crunch sucks but development isn’t always this linear progression… sometimes you have to give it a little time.

The fact that he has the shortest and lowest contract means he is likely the guy that gets axed but that shouldn’t be the reason you give up on him as a prospect. I’d put more stock in his awesome preseason last year than summer league. Especially playing in the tiny cramped hs gym at cox…

No **** the Jazz are trying like hell to trade him lmao.

They arent going to just waive him for nothing though when he can be used for salary matching in big trades. His 16 mpg isnt going to ruin our roster.
Also, if they just wait until next offseason, they can stretch the $6 million.

They of course will try to trade him in the interim.