Who Should the Jazz Cut?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Saint Cy of JFC, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I think best case NWG is like a score first Neto, but there have been a string of physically underwhelming PG's in the NBA who have had a lot of success (VanVleet and Monte Morris) so maybe there is room for potential.

2. NAOS

NAOS Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Would old-school rep this.

3. NAOS

NAOS Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I think if NWG can hit on better than 40% of his threes (the bulk of which would be catch-n-shoot), then he’s a nice piece. Body control and finishing on his drives looks much improved. If he can get people closing out hard, then he can create advantages.

4. Catchall

Catchall Well-Known Member 2019 Prediction Contest Winner

May 27, 2010
    I was at the game last night. Here are a few comments...

NWG: The Jazz just brought him over from Europe. He can do the things that Neto did for us. He plays decent position-defense, can hit some open shots, and can credibly drive to the rim and finish without getting injured. He's fine for a 3rd-string PG, and he'll make the roster.

Bradley: He has gravity at the rim, he rebounds as well as Kanter did at the same age, and he's a credible roll-man who can catch and finish efficiently. He's fine as a 3rd-string center. He'll get exposed a bit guarding out on the floor, but against back-ups it shouldn't be too big a problem.

Oni: He is already a multi-positional defender, an adequate corner-3pt shooter, and an athlete who can fill the lane and finish at the rim. He's not going anywhere. He's a steal for a late 2nd-round pick. If he could dribble and change directions, he'd have star potential. He's going to be a text-book 3/D wing with plus speed and athleticism. He's smart and disciplined, perfect for the Jazz's system, and he's better than Royce was as a rookie.

Where the Jazz have a log-jam is the 3rd-string PF spot, where we have Niang, Kidd and Howard. The Jazz can keep two of these guys and play one of them as a 3rd-string SF. That's why both Howard and Kidd were on the floor together last night. TBH, I'd like to see Brantley in that mix as well, but the Jazz can develop him in the G-League and give him a few assignments with the Jazz if they want.

Howard: He's really a wing, so think of him as the 3rd SF. He's not used to the speed of the NBA game, and he needs to work on his strength a bit. He likes to hang out on the perimeter for catch-and-shoot opportunities. He's a knock-down shooter with an easy, smooth stroke out to 28 feet. He keeps his composure and shoots well under game pressure. He was 3/3 last night and hit from multiple locations around the arc. Guys were passing up shots to get him the ball. I also liked the way he attacked a close-out and finished with a reverse lay-up. The Jazz bought out his contract in Europe, and even though it isn't much, I'd be surprised if they cut him.

So to me, the question comes down to keeping Kidd or Niang. The problem with Kidd is that he's an inconsistent shooter. If he shoots a 3, I expect it to miss. If he'll defend and rebound that makes up for some of it, but I'm not sure how consistently he does that. The problem with Niang is that he's a non-athlete by NBA standards. That limits his defense, rebounding and play off the dribble. He's a smart player who knows the system. He's a better shooter and passer than Kidd, and that will probably make the difference.

Probably Kidd is the guy who gets cut, and the 15-man roster would look like this:

Conley / Mudiay / Williams-Goss
    Mitchell / Exum / Oni
    Bogdanovic / O'Neale / Howard
    Green / Ingles / Niang
    Gobert / Davis / Bradley

colton, Eminence, Jonah and 8 others like this.
  5. Shad

Shad Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Exum

6. nateboz

nateboz Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I agree with everything here. Must be the end of times.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

7. UtahJazz32

UtahJazz32 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Cut niang

8. Revolution 9

Revolution 9 Well-Known Member Staff Member

May 26, 2010
    Howard came out of nowhere.

If he can shoot like that all the time he has to stay. His shot looked so smooth.

Lets see how he holds up against better comp

9. Wayne_Kenoff

Wayne_Kenoff New Member

Aug 20, 2019
    The Jazz simply cannot cut Exum. If they did he would bleed to death.

10. Jazzta

Jazzta Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Great analysis that I agree with.

11. gregbroncs

gregbroncs Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    NWG should be the guy cut. I thought for the entire 1st half he looked like the worst player on the floor, and that includes dudes playing for the Australian team. Turned the ball over while trying to drive without anybody really even challenging him.

Oni looked like a player. He may not play much this year, but if we lose O'neal next off season. Oni looks like he could replace him with a little experience.

12. homeytennis

homeytennis Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I think you're right about the Turk visiting Kidd. I was surprised when he got invited to camp after a stinker of a summer league. The front office loves Niang so he gets to stay on the island.

13. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2015
    NWG

14. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Jun 13, 2014
    Ain’t gonna make my prediction until I’ve seen the whole pre-season. Kidd or Howard are the obvious candidates based on contract. I’d hope we don’t make decisions based on purely contract issues... but it may be more simple.

15. Shad

Shad Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Well played.

16. SCS

SCS Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2016
    So far I'd say Kidd

17. rjfan

rjfan Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Oni seems the first plan to some "O'Neale overpaying assurance". I'd be higher on Kidd if i had more confidence over his shot, but i struggle to imagine he doing the 3 part of 3nD at the nba level.

I wonder if they took NWG thinking on having him as a minor part of some future trade.

18. rjfan

rjfan Member

Nov 1, 2018
    But so far, too early to tell, just one preseason game, and down to a really low level, much little to take

Jazzmix likes this.
  19. Ironankle

Ironankle Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2016
    True, I also think it's too early because if Niang puts next game 20 pts 50% 3pt 4 rb 4as 2steals in 25 mins and Howard puts 2 pts with 0/5 3pt in 20 mins we won't say the same as we say now. So let see what's happen next games.

Sent from my MI 9 using JazzFanz mobile app

20. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Won't be NWG. Jazz need 3 PG's. I consider Mitchell as the backup behind Conley. We'll see one or the other on the court at all times, except during garbage time.

Exum is injured right now and i think he's not even seen as a PG any more, more of a wing.