What's new

Who Should the Jazz Cut?

I think pretty much just Houston.
And Golden State. And probably the Clippers (Jamychal). Those happen to be the teams I’m worried about not by coincidence.

This team has been quite exploitable by 5-out teams and the playoffs are all about exploiting other teams’ weaknesses. I think Green is second string C in situations like that.

Bradley is a body to soak up damage and minutes when no one else should. Hopefully he’s up for that.

There’s also a distinct possibility that the Jazz absolutely crush with Green at the 5 by creating the mismatch and it’s an ace up their sleeve.

And Golden State. And probably the Clippers (Jamychal). Those happen to be the teams I’m worried about not by coincidence.

This team has been extremely exploitable by 5-out teams and the playoffs are all about exploiting other teams weaknesses.
Golden State will rarely play small anymore, if ever.

Clippers go "small" by playing a 6'8 center in Harrell.

Golden State will rarely play small anymore, if ever.

Clippers go "small" by playing a 6'8 center in Harrell.
They played Green (and Harrell) there after they acquired him. It apparently was a reason he was brought back.

When facing a team that can protect the rim and suck up rebounds from the 5, it is in a team’s best interest to drag them away from the basket or off the floor. Teams that can employ that strategy will. The first answer to that strategy is absolutely beasting, which I think Gobert will do. I’m not sure Davis will.

The whole point here is that Bradley isn’t in this conversation.

Two more teams on the list: The Sixers and Bucks. The way they can suck 5s away from the basket creates some issues I’m not sure the Jazz have a simple answer for, though.

They played Green (and Harrell) there after they acquired him. It apparently was a reason he was brought back.

When facing a team that can protect the rim and suck up rebounds from the 5, it is in a team’s best interest to drag them away from the basket or off the floor. Teams that can employ that strategy will. The first answer to that strategy is absolutely beasting, which I think Gobert will do. I’m not sure Davis will.

The whole point here is that Bradley isn’t in this conversation.
Bradley is the kind of post player who can exploit smaller lineups.

It was interesting last night how often the Jazz went to a no PG lineup, and even with NWG in the game he rarely played the part of a PG. Quinn seems intent on letting everyone handle the ball, Royce had the ball in his hands a lot with the "second" unit. All this to say, he seems intent on being able to survive without a natural PG on the floor. NWG can go in my opinion, I liked Howard.

Joakim Noah is a better player and presence than Bradley is if we’re dead-set on having three or four centers.

Lmao. As much as I hate agreeing with Cy, this kind of comment is just pure derp. Both Favors and Udoh were very good backups at the 5 last year. The fact that Bradley couldn't beat them out for minutes in his 2nd year doesn't mean a ****ing thing.

Bradley may end up being good or he may not, but right now there just isn't enough evidence to be drawing conclusions either way. Not being able to beat out Favors or Udoh for minutes doesn't mean jack ****.

I feel confident with Bradley soaking up Udoh's minutes. In the playoffs you go 8 or 9 deep, so of course Bradley won't matter. Getting there with less mileage on Gobert and Davis would be nice. Jazz are going to blow out a lot of teams this year. Don't need Gobert closing those games.

I say Kidd, Howard’s shot looks really smooth and I definitely want to see more of him. NWG would be my 2nd choice to cut, but I think Kidd is more redundant at this moment.

It was interesting last night how often the Jazz went to a no PG lineup, and even with NWG in the game he rarely played the part of a PG. Quinn seems intent on letting everyone handle the ball, Royce had the ball in his hands a lot with the "second" unit. All this to say, he seems intent on being able to survive without a natural PG on the floor. NWG can go in my opinion, I liked Howard.
NWG seemed to struggle bringing the ball up the court at times.

Stanton Kidd. I believe NWG will show a lot more than he did. He improved a lot in Europe.

Howard or Niang competes for minutes.

Stanton Kidd. I believe NWG will show a lot more than he did. He improved a lot in Europe.

Howard or Niang competes for minutes.
I think best case NWG is like a score first Neto, but there have been a string of physically underwhelming PG's in the NBA who have had a lot of success (VanVleet and Monte Morris) so maybe there is room for potential.