What's new

Who should the Jazz draft at #30?

Choose up to 3 players you'd like the Jazz to draft at #30, assuming they're available.

• Joel Ayayi

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Vrenz Bleijenberg

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Jared Butler

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Josh Christopher

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Ayo Dosunmu

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Nah'Shon Hyland

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Trey Murphy III

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Josh Primo

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Roko Prkacin

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • JT Thor

Votes: 23 52.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just whoever we pick dear god please make it make sense instead of the weird **** we have done lately.

The chances of a rookie at #30 helping us next year is next to none. Trade it for a vet by itself or in a package.

We were somewhat close this year. We choked pretty bad especially the final game. We also we're very unlucky with injuries again. We just need a few changes especially at defense. But we are all in right now. Trading draft picks hurts us in the future but our window is now. We have to make a few good moves this off season and then get really lucky.

The chances of a rookie at #30 helping us next year is next to none. Trade it for a vet by itself or in a package.

We were somewhat close this year. We choked pretty bad especially the final game. We also we're very unlucky with injuries again. We just need a few changes especially at defense. But we are all in right now. Trading draft picks hurts us in the future but our window is now. We have to make a few good moves this off season and then get really lucky.

I think this is pretty spot on. Quin never plays rookies and that's definitely not going to change next season. All reports seem to suggest that we're going all in next season for one more shot at a championship, so if we can use the pick to acquire a veteran that will bring us closer to that goal then we probably need to do it.

I think this is pretty spot on. Quin never plays rookies and that's definitely not going to change next season. All reports seem to suggest that we're going all in next season for one more shot at a championship, so if we can use the pick to acquire a veteran that will bring us closer to that goal then we probably need to do it.
Quin played Donovan quite a bit as a rookie, IIRC.

Grayson played some too. What do they have in common? Oh that’s right, they’re the only two rookies we’ve had that are actually NBA players. If they draft someone that isn’t garbage, Quin will play him.

I’m out on all the euros. Get a good college player — Murphy, Jones, etc.

Quin played Donovan quite a bit as a rookie, IIRC.

Grayson played some too. What do they have in common? Oh that’s right, they’re the only two rookies we’ve had that are actually NBA players.

Donovan's obviously the exception because he was a lottery pick and his talent was obvious to everyone. The only minutes I remember Grayson playing were due to injuries, resting players at the end of the season and garbage time, he wasn't in the rotation when everyone was healthy.

Donovan's obviously the exception because he was a lottery pick and his talent was obvious to everyone. The only minutes I remember Grayson playing were due to injuries, resting players at the end of the season and garbage time, he wasn't in the rotation when everyone was healthy.
So, Quin’s playing our rookies as much as their talent level warrants?

Name a single player that Quin hasn’t played that has gone on to do anything anywhere? Grayson has developed and played well but he is still just a nice bench guy, I still think Quin played him the appropriate amount.

If we draft someone that can actually help us at 30, Quin will play him. If Duarte or Murphy falls to us, I am certain Quin will play them.

If we draft someone that can actually help us at 30, Quin will play him. If Duarte or Murphy falls to us, I am certain Quin will play them.

I don't agree. We're almost certain to bring back our top 7 and replace Niang and Favors with other vets and that will be our 9 man rotation. We may add a couple more vets as end of bench guys and they will most likely also be ahead of our rookie on the depth chart. Other than injuries and garbage time I just don't see any rookie seeing the floor next season.

I can't argue with your point that most of our draft picks haven't been talented enough to warrant playing time.

Last edited:

I kinda felt like last offseason was the offseason we needed to get lucky and nail the draft because it takes a year to get rookies to be functional basketball players. We muffed it up pretty bad instead.

I kinda felt like last offseason was the offseason we needed to get lucky and nail the draft because it takes a year to get rookies to be functional basketball players. We muffed it up pretty bad instead.
Yep. Offseason 2020 will be looked at as one of the biggest missed opportunities in the history of the franchise.

#1 - Using 2nd rounders to dump a bunch of contracts only to go and still be over the luxury.

#2 - Used our two biggest assets (a 1st rounder and the full MLE) on the same position which is the least important position in the league and especially for us.

I don't agree. We're almost certain to bring back our top 7 and replace Niang and Favors with other vets and that will be our 9 man rotation. We may add a couple more vets as end of bench guys and they will most likely also be ahead of our rookie on the depth chart. Other than injuries and garbage time I just don't see any rookie seeing the floor next season.

I can't argue with your point that most of our draft picks haven't been talented enough to warrant playing time.
Maybe not, but in your scenario, that Rookie isn’t playing because he doesn’t give us the best chance to win. If our Rookie ends up being someone that gives is the best chance to win, he will play.

I think a Duarte or Murphy stands a good chance to play immediately next year over whatever minimum guys we bring in. There’s not a chance in hell Quin doesn’t play a rookie just to keep a one-year minimum guy happy if the rookie gives us a better chance to win.

But Quin will play whatever guys give us the best chance to win. If that’s the minimum guys we sign, then absolutely they will play over the rookie.

I think the narrative that Quin “doesn’t play rookies” is a silly one. There’s not a single example of a rookie player anyone can look back on in hindsight and say “Quin really should have been playing that guy more.” If you wanted to say Quin prioritizes winning over player development, then yeah, that’s absolutely true (but again true that we’ve really not had anything in the cupboard worth developing). And if you’re trying to contend, that’s how it should be.

If the Trib article from last month is to be believed the beef between Quin and DL was basically about that. DL said “play my young guys,” and Quin said “get me some young guys I can actually play.” And Quin is right. DL has not, other than Mitchell and Allen, given Quin any young players worth playing.

Last edited:
At this point I'm assuming the Jazz use the pick to offload Favors, but if not, I think they should go for a pure-upside guy unless a dude like Duarte falls. Give me a Christopher/Thor. Jazz might have to blow this **** up in two seasons, so it would be nice to have some prospects who could potentially be part of the next era of Jazz basketball so they wouldn't have to start from ground up.

What’s not to love about a player with more turnovers than assists who shot 30% from 3 in Josh Christopher?! If that doesn’t reek of awesome iq and decision making I don’t know what does.

What’s not to love about a player with more turnovers than assists who shot 30% from 3 in Josh Christopher?! If that doesn’t reek of awesome iq and decision making I don’t know what does.
Yeah, it's a lot of projection. Most of my calls are for upperclassmen I feel are overlooked but this is a different case. Think he's being too undervalued because the combo guard spot is pretty strong in this draft. That and I think the Covid season was especially hard on freshman, so there is opportunity for value.

Didnt he start Exum his rookie year? Ironically, the only year Exum stayed healthy. Didnt he start Mitchell? Didnt Allen play a lot? And I don’t remember when Hood and Gobert were drafted, but I remember them both playing a lot when they were young players.

Didnt he start Exum his rookie year? Ironically, the only year Exum stayed healthy. Didnt he start Mitchell? Didnt Allen play a lot? And I don’t remember when Hood and Gobert were drafted, but I remember them both playing a lot when they were young players.
Grayson played 10.9 minutes a game in just 38 games. Garbage and injury time.

Hood and Gobert played because we were a mediocre team and there was no harm in seeing what we had. Same with Exum. Who didn’t get hurt only because he simply camped out in the corner.

Grayson played 10.9 minutes a game in just 38 games. Garbage and injury time.

Hood and Gobert played because we were a mediocre team and there was no harm in seeing what we had. Same with Exum. Who didn’t get hurt only because he simply camped out in the corner.
I mean, Hood was legitimately very good early in his career (like a majority of the board thought after Year 2 Hood was going to be better than Hayward). Hood being able to stay healthy is a big "what if" that gets forgotten about because his ultimate fall coincided with the rise of Donovan.