What's new

Who should the jazz get for PG next season?

What direction do you see the Jazz taking for a PG next season?

• Re-sign George Hill

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Deron Williams

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • CAKK BAKK let exum live or die

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Darren Collison

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade for reggie Jackson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Patty Mills

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Draft (Jackson or Evans)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Milos Teodosic

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Kyle Lowry Max

• Jrue Holiday

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Colour me intrigued with Teodosic. He'll probably be the guard we end up bringing in if we lose Hill.

Colour me intrigued with Teodosic. He'll probably be the guard we end up bringing in if we lose Hill.
If Hill is asking for anything more than 18 per year for 3 years then you move on.

Obviously other teams will pay him more. I like Teodosic or DWill while really working hard with Exum to develop.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If Hill is asking for anything more than 18 per year for 3 years then you move on.

Obviously other teams will pay him more. I like Teodosic or DWill while really working hard with Exum to develop.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Agreed about Hill. And this is part of why I like the thought of DWill. I think he plays fewer minutes than Hill would, giving Exum more playing time. Don't know enough about Teodosic to decide what I think of him. I'll have to take a look.

George Hill might be cost prohibitive - or maybe the Jazz can work it out, if so great! If not, there are other options.

Milos Teodosic seems like a more than perfect fit for the system the Jazz run. His passing would be a huge benefit to Gobert, Hayward, and anyone who wants to cut to the basket. Not to mention a great portion of the Jazz offense revolves around being able to catch and shoot - which he clearly excels at. I think he's a smart player and knows which systems would fit his game best, and that is why he named the Spurs and Jazz as teams he could see himself playing for.

DWill would be fun to see back in a Jazz uni, but I fear, he's not quite the catch and shoot player we'd need to fit out offense - he likes to dribble too much. That would take the ball out of Hayward's hands and cut down on the passing over all.

On the other hand, a PG who intrigues me is Shaun Livingston. He is hit 50% this year specifically on catch and shoot 3 pointers, finishing higher than:

Chris Paul - 49%
Steph Curry - 46%
Joe Ingles - 46%
Kyle Korver - 45%
JJ Reddick - 45%
Rodney Hood- 42%
Joe Johnson - 42%
George Hill - 41%
Deron Williams - 38%

Livingston is 32 I believe, and wouldn't demand to be a starter or take a ton of minutes. His length (6'7" tall, 6'11" wingspan) would fit in with what the Jazz are trying to do defensively. Also, he's a player that can play the 2 and 3 positions depending on matchups.

A Jazz PG rotation of Milos, Livingston and Exum would give us three guys that can play at least 2 positions. Also it would seem to make more sense to spend 20 million on (Milos 9M + Livingston 11M) than put all of our eggs in one basket with George Hill getting 28 million of our cap - especially if George Hill is injured for part of next season. Whereas if Milos or Livingston miss some games, you still have an additional competent combo guard.

If the spurs throw a tonne of money at either Chris Paul or George hill ... perfect chance to nab patty mills for a reasonable contract. He isn't going to give the spurs another discount, especially after the playoffs and would be a terrific starter for a few years and could play off the ball if Exum graduates from middle school before then. I'd much rather him than an unproven Euro with potentially dreadful defense

You should divide G-Hill into two.
1- Re-sign G-Hill for 12-16 range.
2- Overpay G-Hill.

Also add D-Rose. He would do bigger impact than all of these guys if healthy. It is a big if but not bigger than if George Hill healthy.

Why would deron come back. Some of you we are ready rude after he left and even years later. Dwill will have championship caliber teams ready to sign him. So why should he come back to Utah when he can play with Some of the games best and have a real chance at getting a ring. He has about 2 percent. Chance getting a ring with utah

If he gets a ring this year with cavs, im sure he will pay to be in Jazz uniform next year.

On the other hand, a PG who intrigues me is Shaun Livingston. He is hit 50% this year specifically on catch and shoot 3 pointers, finishing higher than:

Um, this stat is a little deceiving. This is far far too small of a sample size to draw anything from, he attempted a total of 3 3's for the entire season. I dont think he is going to help space the floor and shoot threes for you. I like Livingston but not as a three point shooter. For his entire career he has attempted 66 3 point shots and is shooting 19.7% on those.

I think Jeremy Lin might be someone we could trade for and could be interesting. He is shooting 48% on catch and shoot threes. He has a contract for 11 million next year and a player option for the same amount the year after.

Seth Curry could be another good PG to trade for. He is cheap and unrestricted next year. I am not sure what Dallas is doing though so they might see him as more valuable but I am guessing they would trade him for cheap. He offers shooting but not a whole lot else.

Rajon Rondo actually shot 49% on catch and shoot threes this year on 45 attempts and is shooting well. He also plays Defense well and passes. His three point shot has improved and he is signed for one more year at 14 million. If Chicago trades Butler they probably make Rondo and Wade available and start the rebuild but who knows.

I think Snell would be an interesting player to go after as our backup SG. He is a good catch and shoot player. Bucks might not want him now that Middelton is back and healthy.

Um, this stat is a little deceiving. This is far far too small of a sample size to draw anything from, he attempted a total of 3 3's for the entire season. I dont think he is going to help space the floor and shoot threes for you. I like Livingston but not as a three point shooter. For his entire career he has attempted 66 3 point shots and is shooting 19.7% on those.

Okay, I've looked more at his career stats, and I totally agree. I didn't take long either. I'm only thinking of him as a backup PG - he can handle, hit his shots, and brings some big defense, and rebounding to the guard positions. Also because 3 point shooting is at such a premium - he should be fairly inexpensive.

In other news Locke mentioned this idea again this week in talking about securing a PG before July 1st to be able to use last season's cap room - but this time he mentioned some specific names/ideas:

* Damian Lillard - Portland is hitting 138 million in salary next summer, and that's before they sign any draft picks (Portland has 3 first rounders this summer - in a PG rich draft).
* Goran Dragic - Miami is in re-building mode, and looking at upgrading talent either through the draft or free agency - but they have 94 mil in committed salary. Getting the 31 year old Dragic off the books, and his 18 mil per season over the next 3 years could help.
* Ricky Rubio - has been rumored to be on the block all year and makes 14 mil per season through the summer of 2019. Good fit with Utah defensively, but he might be too ball dominant for the Jazz offense, and doesn't shoot particularly well, not even in catch and shoot situations- 34%.
* Matthew Dellavedova - Milwaukee also has over 110 mil in salary next season, before signing any draft picks they may want to keep. Delladova at 6'4" gives us another big PG, and an Aussie, who makes 9 mil per season through the summer of 2020. At 27 years old, he's in the prime of his prime and may be ready to take another step. Locke said Jazz officials have been high on him in the past.

Okay, I've looked more at his career stats, and I totally agree. I didn't take long either. I'm only thinking of him as a backup PG - he can handle, hit his shots, and brings some big defense, and rebounding to the guard positions. Also because 3 point shooting is at such a premium - he should be fairly inexpensive.

In other news Locke mentioned this idea again this week in talking about securing a PG before July 1st to be able to use last season's cap room - but this time he mentioned some specific names/ideas:

* Damian Lillard - Portland is hitting 138 million in salary next summer, and that's before they sign any draft picks (Portland has 3 first rounders this summer - in a PG rich draft).
* Goran Dragic - Miami is in re-building mode, and looking at upgrading talent either through the draft or free agency - but they have 94 mil in committed salary. Getting the 31 year old Dragic off the books, and his 18 mil per season over the next 3 years could help.
* Ricky Rubio - has been rumored to be on the block all year and makes 14 mil per season through the summer of 2019. Good fit with Utah defensively, but he might be too ball dominant for the Jazz offense, and doesn't shoot particularly well, not even in catch and shoot situations- 34%.
* Matthew Dellavedova - Milwaukee also has over 110 mil in salary next season, before signing any draft picks they may want to keep. Delladova at 6'4" gives us another big PG, and an Aussie, who makes 9 mil per season through the summer of 2020. At 27 years old, he's in the prime of his prime and may be ready to take another step. Locke said Jazz officials have been high on him in the past.

I would be interested in Dragic or Lillard but it depends on what it takes to get them. Lillard I very much doubt they trade and if they do I think it would take a lot to get him. More than we have to offer or more than we are willing to offer.

I think I am cold on Rubio. Dellavedova would be okay, but depends on what it takes to get him. I am not sure they will be interested in trading him either. Delly would be a step back from a healthy Hill but he is much cheaper.

I would be interested in Dragic or Lillard but it depends on what it takes to get them. Lillard I very much doubt they trade and if they do I think it would take a lot to get him. More than we have to offer or more than we are willing to offer.

I think I am cold on Rubio. Dellavedova would be okay, but depends on what it takes to get him. I am not sure they will be interested in trading him either. Delly would be a step back from a healthy Hill but he is much cheaper.

Yeah, trades are hard because you have to be the team with the very best offer. We could offer picks, but Portland seems to have more than enough already. Unless we offered them a future 1st that was totally unprotected + Exum as a starter, I don't see them even accepting the call. That being said, they either HAVE to pay the luxury tax next season, in a big way for a marginal playoff team - or they have to move someone.

Unfortunately for them the league is Point Guard rich right now, and I don't see them getting a lot of partners looking for:

Alen Crabbe - 19M per year through 2020.
Evan Turner - 18M per year through 2020.
Meyers Leonard - 10.5M per year through 2020.
Mo Harkless - 10M per year through 2020.

Add to that the 50 million you are paying CJ McCollum and Damian Lillard and something has got to give. We'll see what happens, they might not move anyone - Paul Allen can certainly afford to burn cash if he chooses to.

Yeah, trades are hard because you have to be the team with the very best offer. We could offer picks, but Portland seems to have more than enough already. Unless we offered them a future 1st that was totally unprotected + Exum as a starter, I don't see them even accepting the call. That being said, they either HAVE to pay the luxury tax next season, in a big way for a marginal playoff team - or they have to move someone.

Unfortunately for them the league is Point Guard rich right now, and I don't see them getting a lot of partners looking for:

Alen Crabbe - 19M per year through 2020.
Evan Turner - 18M per year through 2020.
Meyers Leonard - 10.5M per year through 2020.
Mo Harkless - 10M per year through 2020.

Add to that the 50 million you are paying CJ McCollum and Damian Lillard and something has got to give. We'll see what happens, they might not move anyone - Paul Allen can certainly afford to burn cash if he chooses to.

I could see them trading Lillard if the team thinks Lillard and CJ are a bad fit. But I think it would take a lot.

As far as the salary cap situation goes for them:
1. They have a very rich owner who is willing to pay whatever.
2. They can dump/trade most of those players. Worst case they pay someone a draft pick to take the bad contract. That is a better option than trading your star player.

Jazz should definitely look into Lillard though even if it's unlikely.

You'd rather have Dellavedova starting over Rubio? Serious?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

You'd rather have Dellavedova starting over Rubio? Serious?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app
With our players and system yes. We can't have a starting PG, PF and center that can't shoot threes. Plus a SG on Hood that is inconsistent. We need a PG that can shoot spot up threes well. Plus we need a PG that can play off the ball well. Plus I think Exum will develop past both of these players in the next couple years, maybe next season.

I'm sick of these shoot first pg's that don't know how to run an offense and ends up with 3-4 assists per game. I'd love to have a guy that can set up Rudy or Favors and take pressure off Hayward.

I'd love to have Rubio and get a stretch 4 to pair up with him. I don't care that he can't shoot, he'll get others good looks and turn Gobert into an offensive weapon like Paul did for DJ against us in the playoffs

With our players and system yes. We can't have a starting PG, PF and center that can't shoot threes. Plus a SG on Hood that is inconsistent. We need a PG that can shoot spot up threes well. Plus we need a PG that can play off the ball well. Plus I think Exum will develop past both of these players in the next couple years, maybe next season.

We would have plenty of three point shooters around him plus as I said above. He turns Favors and Gobert into weapons. Imagine how much more insane Gobert's fg% would've been with Rubio setting him up. He would bring so much more versatility to the offense and energy. The shooting weakness is overcome by his other strengths