What's new

Who's back next season?

Which of these guys do you think are still here on opening night next season?

• Quin

• Rudy

• Donovan

• Conley

• Bogey

• Royce

• Clarkson

• Gay

• Whiteside

• House

Results are only viewable after voting.
My read on the Quin Snyder situation is that it's up in the air for two reasons:

1) I think Quin might want to keep his options open if an attractive coaching situation comes up. I could see him wanting to jump and go to San Antonio if Popovich retires this off-season. He may also be looking for some hybrid coaching/front office role as a promotion of sorts. If that gets offered to him, both sides may amicably part ways.

2) Tony Jones reported recently that the Jazz do want Quin back and have offered an extension. However, if Quin wants to negotiate on that extension, he's going to be non-committal as part of his negotiating position. When Quin says he doesn't want to discuss his contract situation publicly, it implies that his contract situation isn't resolved and both sides may still be negotiating.

I think the latter situation is more likely. Quin may be willing to sign an extension, but would like to improve the offer or change it in some way.

I can handle being a tire fire of a team, I have a much harder time tolerating the dishonesty contained in this PR hogwash in an apparent attempt to run back the tire fire squad.

This build is totally ****ing cooked and only a stupid homer or capitalist won’t acknowledge that. It’s garbage and a waste of everyone’s time, money, and energy.

I think Ainge is going to take out a red pen and make some significant changes, but until he does people around the organization are going to offer vague platitudes. If Conley, Royce, Bojan and Gay are still on the roster on opening night, then we can throw a fit about it.

What would Quin possibly hang any kind of negotiation on for his extension? The fact that he completely lost the team, couldn't make any adjustments to save his life, and couldn't even remotely get the best performance out of his "star" players? Not sure what he thinks he is using as leverage there.

What would Quin possibly hang any kind of negotiation on for his extension? The fact that he completely lost the team, couldn't make any adjustments to save his life, and couldn't even remotely get the best performance out of his "star" players? Not sure what he thinks he is using as leverage there.

The fact that he's widely regarded as a top-5 or so coach in the league and that if he quits today, he'll have three offers by tomorrow--Charlotte, Lakers and whoever else fires their coach later this month.

I think the fact that he wasn’t fired immediately makes him feel he’s got leverage. And, unfortunately, that’s probably right.

I can handle being a tire fire of a team, I have a much harder time tolerating the dishonesty contained in this PR hogwash in an apparent attempt to run back the tire fire squad.

This build is totally ****ing cooked and only a stupid homer or capitalist won’t acknowledge that. It’s garbage and a waste of everyone’s time, money, and energy.
Now tell us how you REALLY feel.

I seriously doubt he would've tweeted that if he believed the Jazz were about to trade Rudy.

I doubt the Jazz know what they are doing themselves, I mean how could they. Over 25% of the league is still playing basketball, the draft lottery hasn't even happened yet, there are a lot of things that have to happen before they can get a clear picture of what their options really are.

I don’t at all get the “Quin is a Top 5 Coach in the League” mumbo jumbo. He is rigid AF and is always good for a playoff flame-out. Not saying there are good grounds to fire him, but I would be thrilled to see him move on.

And those press conference quotes were borderline delusional about how close (or not) this team was.

This franchise is really close to losing my interest. The FO will have talked themselves into running it back by June. Sick of it, honestly.

Where is this coming from, we literally haven't heard Ainge speak a peep. IDK he felt like a Marcus Smart guy while he was in Boston. Why wouldnt he be a Rudy Gobert guy?

Because he doesn't pay centers $38 million, especially if they can't score. Just my opinion.

Where is this coming from, we literally haven't heard Ainge speak a peep. IDK he felt like a Marcus Smart guy while he was in Boston. Why wouldnt he be a Rudy Gobert guy?
The only thing I can think is that TJ has put out there numerous times over the past few months conditional statements implying that Rudy could be moved. It’s hard to know how strong a connection is between whoever TJ’s source is and Ainge. For all we know, Ainge may not be making opinions known to others. On the other hand, I think it’s the assumption that outsiders don’t value Gobert as highly. It’s the latter that I’m most concerned with. But Ainge has been involved with every level of this game, and it makes it hard for me to fathom that he could possibly be as enthusiastic about this direction of “everything Donovan or bust” that the current regime is pumping out hard in the media, especially seeing this latest crash and burn and how it happened. Dumber things have happened, however.

It does sound like the Jazz are going to try and keep Quin, Rudy, and Donovan and try to retool around them. If this is the case then it is more evidence that the Jazz are always a year behind what they should be doing. They should have tried and retool around them last year when the surrounding players had more value. The year before they should have realized they needed to go with a vet minimum center, and not sign Favors to the MLE. The year before that they should have realized that going all in on offense was overreacting. Then next year we'll realize it is a year too late to blow it up, and won't get nearly the haul we would have this year.

The only thing I can think is that TJ has put out there numerous times over the past few months conditional statements implying that Rudy could be moved. It’s hard to know how strong a connection is between whoever TJ’s source is and Ainge. For all we know, Ainge may not be making opinions known to others. On the other hand, I think it’s the assumption that outsiders don’t value Gobert as highly. It’s the latter that I’m most concerned with. But Ainge has been involved with every level of this game, and it makes it hard for me to fathom that he could possibly be as enthusiastic about this direction of “everything Donovan or bust” that the current regime is pumping out hard in the media, especially seeing this latest crash and burn and how it happened. Dumber things have happened, however.
I am just not sure what to think on Ainge. Is he here to win a title or just collecting a check as the part time golf course manager... gets him out of the house and makes sure his wife can't nag him 24/7.

Is he going to try and build a contender or is he just here to execute a plan that meets Ryan's goals... Ryan is his customer and the customer is always right. So his goal is simply to keep Donovan happy for a year without burning the franchise too much.

If he is the guy we thought he was in Boston I'd bet that he's very much pushing Ryan to either do a full rebuild or figure out the cast around Donovan and Rudy. I don't think he is that guy.

It does sound like the Jazz are going to try and keep Quin, Rudy, and Donovan and try to retool around them. If this is the case then it is more evidence that the Jazz are always a year behind what they should be doing. They should have tried and retool around them last year when the surrounding players had more value. The year before they should have realized they needed to go with a vet minimum center, and not sign Favors to the MLE. The year before that they should have realized that going all in on offense was overreacting. Then next year we'll realize it is a year too late to blow it up, and won't get nearly the haul we would have this year.
I agree we are always behind by a year or two.... I don't think Rudy is back. I think Quin is waiting to see what offers surface or if the Don vs. Rudy drama gets settled with a trade before committing. I also think there is a chance they are in a staring contest where Quin is saying "fire me" and he would get his money... maybe even exercises his coach's option and then takes a year off or heads to the next job while collecting two checks.

I'd say 80/20 on Rudy being out vs. back. I think they only pass if the trade market is really tepid and I think they find something they view as acceptable.