What's new

Will Burks and Kanter get contract extensions?

Who will accept a contract extension?

• Kanter will

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Burks will

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Both will

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Neither will

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters
They're worse because of strength, primarily. Again, neither can handle physical wing players. Alec is a ball watcher who gets buried on screens all the damn time. Gordo is incredibly slow rotating and closing out on shooters (no doubt, partly due to his poor foot speed). Will they get better? Sure, but so will other young players. If those two are starting at the 2 and 3, you'd better have some pretty ****ing talented players at the 1, 4 and 5 if you're actually trying to win games.

I just don't understand why people want this team to hold onto and overpay mediocre talent.

Im not saying that we should hold onto those players or that they are good enough.

My arguement was simple.
Alec burks and gordon hayward are not undersized for the SG and SF positions.

i googled what is the average height and weight of an nba shooting guard.
Then did the same for smalll forwards.

Burks and hayward are almost exactly the average size for those positions.
SG 6'6 211
SF 6'8 224
Burks is 6'6 211
Hayward 6'8 220.

Maybe they are not strong enough... but that is just an assumption. (Which might be true)

There are lots of possibilities for why they wouldnt work together in a starting lineup (coaching is one possibility of why it wouldnt have worked so far).

My point is simply that thier size is not one of the reasons

All I'm saying is Beal is way better and there is no chance Burks ever becomes better.

Dat reading comprehension doe.

Lol at someone knowing for certain how good a 22 year old will be when he is 28 years old.

All I'm saying is Beal is way better and there is no chance Burks ever becomes better.

Dat reading comprehension doe.

Thank god your predictions rarely hit thier mark
Cough "otto porter" couch

If the Jazz keep all 5 of Trey, Alec, Gordo, Kanter and Favors, and it costs them $50mm+ to do so, they're ****ed. I'd be shopping Trey, Kanter and Gordo pretty hard.

I agree

Bradley beal and ariza are not alot different than burks and hayward as far as size and athleticism imo and thier team had a nice playoff run iirc.

In fact i consider burks to have more physical tools (wingspan, reach, quickness, vertical) than beal.

The Wizards won 44 games in the East and beat a Bulls team without its best player. That's a pretty low ceiling.

My arguement was simple.
Alec burks and gordon hayward are not undersized for the SG and SF positions.
As I said initially, they're overmatched physically starting together on the wing.

If they have a future together on the Jazz, I think it's with one of them coming off the bench. If that's the case, I'd rather have the FO coaching staff grooming the players for their longterm roles than playing them in roles that don't make sense. The Jazz need a little more physicality and defense on the perimeter. Marv would be just fine as a stopgap at the 3(/4) for example.

The Wizards won 44 games in the East and beat a Bulls team without its best player. That's a pretty low ceiling.

True.
doesnt really prove that burks and hayward are too small though

True.
doesnt really prove that burks and hayward are too small though
Where did anyone say they were too small? I said they were overmatched physically, that Beal is bigger than Burks, and that Ariza is stronger than Hayward. All of that is true.

Yes, Burks is taller and longer, but Beal is thicker and stronger ("bigger").

Gordo and Alec are overmatched starting at the 2 and 3.

As I said initially, they're overmatched physically starting together on the wing.

Im not saying that you are wrong.

But.... how are you coming to the conclusion that beal and ariza (or other tandems) are stronger or more physical than burks and hayward?
I assume its from watching them play since they have never competed in arm wrestling or weight lifting against one another before.

So when you watch beal and ariza you see them playing stronger and more physical than burks and hayward right? I buy that.

Now here is a question for you.

Do coaches ever affect how a player plays?
If the answer is yes then isnt there a chance that a different coach could help burks and hayward play stronger and more physical?

Since thier perceived weakness defensively doesnt come from thier size or physical limitations, then is it not possible that some of those weaknesses could be due to poor coaching?

But.... how are you coming to the conclusion that beal and ariza (or other tandems) are stronger or more physical than burks and hayward?
I assume its from watching them play since they have never competed in arm wrestling or weight lifting against one another before.

So when you watch beal and ariza you see them playing stronger and more physical than burks and hayward right? I buy that.

If the answer is yes then isnt there a chance that a different coach could help burks and hayward play stronger and more physical?

Since thier perceived weakness defensively doesnt come from thier size or physical limitations, then is it not possible that some of those weaknesses could be due to poor coaching?

Eye-Test/Watching Basketball

One of Burks defensive weaknesses is getting over screens, because he is weak and isn't physical enough.

Yes that is a weakness.

Why is he weak though? Why isnt he physical enough?

Do we have squat, bench, etc numbers from burks to compare with the great sg defenders out there?

One of Burks defensive weaknesses is getting over screens, because he is weak and isn't physical enough.

Could a really good defensive coach teach alec burks proper technique to get through screens better? Could the right coach teach him to be more physical?

Are there things he could do in a gym to get stronger?

It comes from poor strength. For Gordo, foot speed is also an issue. Neither can adequately defend physical wing players. This is painfully obvious watching them play.

The Jazz need more talent and physicality on the perimeter.

Burks will come back stronger next season as well. Remember how he's already added like 5 inches to his vertical and done a lot at P3.

It comes from poor strength. For Gordo, foot speed is also an issue. Neither can adequately defend physical wing players. This is painfully obvious watching them play.

Is there any way to get stronger or improve footspeed?

Are there techniques that can be taught to help overcome a lack of strength or footspeed?

Maybe gordos footspeed appears slow because he is guarding starting 2 guards and he should be at the 3?