What's new

Will Burks and Kanter get contract extensions?

Who will accept a contract extension?

• Kanter will

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Burks will

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Both will

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Neither will

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters
Yes that is a weakness.

Why is he weak though? Why isnt he physical enough?

Do we have squat, bench, etc numbers from burks to compare with the great sg defenders out there?
He doesn't have the frame to carry the bulk needed to defend physical wing players. Look at how solidly built Bradley Beal is. Yes, they're around the same weight, but that's largely a function of Alec's height and length.

Also, Beal and Ariza aren't exactly world beaters, and they were only paid a combined $11mm this past season. How much are Gordo and Alec going to command?

Also, Beal and Ariza aren't exactly world beaters, and they were only paid a combined $11mm this past season. How much are Gordo and Alec going to command?

Too damn much.

We are in agreement that a combo of burks and hayward isnt likely to be the answer for us ever being contenders...... especially if hayward were to get over 10 million per year (which he probably will)

The point is, the physical ability/talent just isn't there. If you're starting those two on the perimeter, you'd better have some pretty ****ing good offensive and defensive talent at the other 3 spots on the floor.

The point is, the physical ability/talent just isn't there. If you're starting those two on the perimeter, you'd better have some pretty ****ing good offensive and defensive talent at the other 3 spots on the floor.

Add in a little Burke and you've got yourself a defensive-****-soup.

I think you can have any two from Burke, Burks, and Hayward on the floor IF YOU HAVE A TALENTED PHYSICAL WING TO ROUND THINGS OUT. You need one guy who can guard the opponents' best player. Hopefully he can also shoot threes.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];823855 said:
I think you can have any two from Burke, Burks, and Hayward on the floor IF YOU HAVE A TALENTED PHYSICAL WING TO ROUND THINGS OUT. You need one guy who can guard the opponents' best player. Hopefully he can also shoot threes.

3 and D?

I actually think Hayward did a lot better job this year defending SF's than he had done in the past. He is definitely the best/most consistent defender of the group

Is there any possible way that a good defensive coach could make hayward, burks, and trey better defenders?
Or is being good definsively an uncoachable type thing?

I actually think Hayward did a lot better job this year defending SF's than he had done in the past. He is definitely the best/most consistent defender of the group
He was noticeably bigger this season, which helped. He's a much better defender than either Burks or Burke. He's a pretty good transition defender, but he's still slow rotating and closing out on shooters (some of this is foot speed, some is likely motivation and scheme). I don't see him turning into a true halfcourt perimeter stopper.

Is there any possible way that a good defensive coach could make hayward, burks, and trey better defenders?
Or is being good definsively an uncoachable type thing?

If Charlotte can have a top 5 defensive team with Big Al on it, then yes, I believe a better coach will make a big difference.

Beal is bigger than Burks. Yes, Burks is taller and longer and weighs more, but Beal is thicker and stronger ("bigger").

I feel like i have been talking to fabtrey........ my head is spinning.

Burks is taller, longer, and heavier........ and smaller.

mind blown.

If Charlotte can have a top 5 defensive team with Big Al on it, then yes, I believe a better coach will make a big difference.

Very good point. There is bad defense due to lack of effort (Boozer) and then there is clueless defense due to lack of knowledge (Jazz). I'm not saying we have an 1st-team NBA defensive players on the Jazz. But they just might be a lot better than we all think.

He was noticeably bigger this season, which helped. He's a much better defender than either Burks or Burke. He's a pretty good transition defender, but he's still slow rotating and closing out on shooters (some of this is foot speed, some is likely motivation and scheme). I don't see him turning into a true halfcourt perimeter stopper.

I'd argue the reverse-- I'd say it's mostly motivation and scheme, and less-so foot speed.

I feel like i have been talking to fabtrey........ my head is spinning.

Burks is taller, longer, and heavier........ and smaller.

mind blown.

yeah GVC's use of 'bigger' is hilariously ambiguous. You've been pretty fair in your posts, Fish.

Just use a different word, and carry on bro (talking to GVC here).

Beal has a bigger frame and more bulk/strength. Alec weighs more because of his length (if he actually weighs more).

Just to give you an idea, at their respective pre-draft combines, Alec had a standing reach of 8'7.5'', weighed 193 lbs, and did 5 bench press reps. Beal had a standing reach of 8'4'', weighed 202, and did 8 bench press reps.

It's comical that people think if Thibodeau coached this team last season, that they'd be 30th in the league defensively.

Beal has a bigger frame and more bulk/strength. Alec weighs more because of his length (if he actually weighs more).

bigger 'frame'? Are we talking width, or length? In this case, your use of 'frame' is pretty ambiguous.