What's new

Will Hayward replace Davis in the AS game?

Call me old school but I'd like to see Hayward get in on his own, and not as a replacement. Plus it would be great to see an all time great play one more Allstar game as a fan of basketball. I want Hayward hungry

Call me old school but I'd like to see Hayward get in on his own, and not as a replacement. Plus it would be great to see an all time great play one more Allstar game as a fan of basketball. I want Hayward hungry

The fact that he went out and improved as much as he did after signing a max contract tells me he'll always be trying to get better.

That argument only works if he's been putting those numbers inefficiently. In reality Hayward has been playing with great efficiency and has been effecting our games in a whole lot of ways. I seriously don't know if we would have gotten to 10 wins this season if we didn't resign Hayward.

Some advanced stats:

WAR:
Monta: 4.17
Hayward: 6.82
Dirk: 2.22

RPM:
Monta: 1.63
Hayward: 4.45
Dirk: 0.29

PER:
Monta: 18.58
Hayward: 20.50
Dirk: 20.66

BPM:
Monta: 0.8
Hayward: 3.1
Dirk: 0.6

VORP:
Monta: 1.9
Hayward: 3.7
Dirk: 1.5

WS:
Monta: 0.99
Hayward: 5.5
Dirk: 5.2

TS%:
Monta: .526
Hayward: .582
Dirk: .569

This is impressive, thanks!

I really hope gordon makes it, but i have a feeling that someone from dallas will be selected

considering that there has been no talk whatsoever about Hayward being in the mix would make me think that he's not going to make it. I'm pretty sure Cousins and Lillard were chosen due to being the next on the list from the coaches.

That argument only works if he's been putting those numbers inefficiently. In reality Hayward has been playing with great efficiency and has been effecting our games in a whole lot of ways. I seriously don't know if we would have gotten to 10 wins this season if we didn't resign Hayward.

Some advanced stats:

WAR:
Monta: 4.17
Hayward: 6.82
Dirk: 2.22

RPM:
Monta: 1.63
Hayward: 4.45
Dirk: 0.29

PER:
Monta: 18.58
Hayward: 20.50
Dirk: 20.66

BPM:
Monta: 0.8
Hayward: 3.1
Dirk: 0.6

VORP:
Monta: 1.9
Hayward: 3.7
Dirk: 1.5

WS:
Monta: 0.99
Hayward: 5.5
Dirk: 5.2

TS%:
Monta: .526
Hayward: .582
Dirk: .569

That seems to have shut him up. Think of it this way - even just for this season would you trade Hay for Monta? Zero chance.

imo Hayward doesn't deserve to be an all star, neither does melo, or cousins. There should be a minimum team record for a player to even be considered. If your team can't crack .400 then you should be ineligible.

As of right now that would make the following teams ineligible to field an all star: Detroit, Indiana, Boston, Orlando, Philadelphia, New York, Denver, Sacramento, Utah, L.A.L, Minnesota.

There are plenty of deserving players that are on winning teams. If Melo wants to be an all star he can help his team win rather than fill up a stat sheet.

imo Hayward doesn't deserve to be an all star, neither does melo, or cousins. There should be a minimum team record for a player to even be considered. If your team can't crack .400 then you should be ineligible.

As of right now that would make the following teams ineligible to field an all star: Detroit, Indiana, Boston, Orlando, Philadelphia, New York, Denver, Sacramento, Utah, L.A.L, Minnesota.

There are plenty of deserving players that are on winning teams. If Melo wants to be an all star he can help his team win rather than fill up a stat sheet.

The reason I don't agree with this reasoning is that the All-star selection is by its nature an individual accolade and not a team one. In reality you are punishing great players for the weaknesses of their teams even if they have absolutely nothing to do with those weaknesses. The reason the Jazz is bad has absolutely nothing to do with Hayward. Single players very rarely are able to put a team on their back and get a team over .500. We are talking once in a generation talents - the Lebrons, the Kevin Durants(even though he needed a rising Westbrook to put OKC in playoff contention)...

The reason I don't agree with this reasoning is that the All-star selection is by its nature an individual accolade and not a team one. In reality you are punishing great players for the weaknesses of their teams even if they have absolutely nothing to do with those weaknesses. The reason the Jazz is bad has absolutely nothing to do with Hayward. Single players very rarely are able to put a team on their back and get a team over .500. We are talking once in a generation talents - the Lebrons, the Kevin Durants(even though he needed a rising Westbrook to put OKC in playoff contention)...

The Jazz's record might be bad, but I believe they are not a bad team anymore. Whence they learn how to close games with confidence, I think they will be able to fight for every win and enter the upwards road of becoming a better team. They are [this] far away from it in my opinion.

I didn't say .500 I said .400. I do think it is fair to choose the best 12 players in the west from the top 10 teams in the west.

I didn't say .500 I said .400. I do think it is fair to choose the best 12 players in the west from the top 10 teams in the west.

i get that, i really do. i however think that without one of their two stars (minus Durant OR minus Westbrook), the thunder might not even be at .400 ... they've struggled pretty mightily when one or the other has been out, and they have to face west powerhouses every night. Would we really be doing the fans a service by excluding either of these guys from the ASG if theyre sub .400? The entire purpose of the ASG is to get the 10 best, flashiest, most talented guys on the floor all at the same time. That should, IMO, be the end-game regardless of the record of their team.

Do you think Hayward would be an Allstar if the Allstar weekend was in Utah this year? Does anyone think the Allstar game will ever come back to Utah?

He is questionable for the game and listed from day to day. Is he out of the AS game? I hadn't heard that..

https://www.nba.com/2015/news/02/08/anthony-davis-shoulder-sprain-day-to-day-release/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

I just saw this also. The AS game is this week, so I was assuming he wouldn't be playing, but maybe he will. They've got a game today, obviously, and on Wednesday, and then the AS events start on Friday. If he can't play, they're going to have to fly someone in last minute, it seems.

Do you think Hayward would be an Allstar if the Allstar weekend was in Utah this year? Does anyone think the Allstar game will ever come back to Utah?

The league generally hosts the All Star Game in the most recently constructed or renovated arena. It's the carrot-on-a-stick for owners to upgrade their facilities. So yes, the All Star game will be back in Salt Lake, but likely not until we see the EnergySolutionsDelta CenterArena 2.0.

I agree with your point, but the reality is, team record DOES matter. The MVP award is also an individual award, yet you rarely ever see a star player from a losing team win the award. Hayward's numbers are deserving of All-Star consideration, however, Ellis and Notwitzkis numbers are similar. I think one of those two gets the nod, simply because they're on a winning team.