What's new

Williams, Sloan put the past where it belongs

Sloan was definitely not keeping up with the changing offensive systems and the evolving use of the 3 pt shot. I personally hated how the Jazz defended the three point line. I haven't put much blame on Deron for anything other than his rapid decline. When you consider what Sloan was able to accomplish, both in terms of sustained production offensively and team success, it's hard to reconcile that with the fact he just sucked at adaptation. He was definitely "old school"; that dog couldn't and didn't want to learn new ways/tricks. Fact is, he needed to be gone. He did deserve an honorable sendoff.

I'll definitely buy Deron's contrition. He seems really sincere and I really loved watching him as a player. I was also a pain in the *** at times from 20-25.

But boy, sounds like Jerry can still hold a grudge. Lol.

I’ve always maintained that Sloan vs. Deron was a false dichotomy and not nearly enough (any?) attention was focused on the real crux of the issue: the passive front office dealings of Greg and KOC that arose in the vacuum of Larry’s death.

They weren’t passive at all. Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta love the historical revisionism here. The over-the-hill, already demented, didn't-like-the-three, hall-of-fame coach had us at 27-13 and on pace to win 55 games before Deron checked out and a few weeks later ultimately caused all the **** he caused. Tied for third in the west and 5 games ahead of the NY Knicks, coached by that modern-day Naismith and inventor of the three point shot(and a 0-time NBA champion) Mike D'Antoni.

The Jazz at that point were 17th in the league in 3PA and 18th in 3PM. Solidly middle of the pack. The Jazz were also 8th in the league in opponent 3P%.

But yeah, let's all remember how the Jazz were playing a 4-corners offense back in 2011.

Gotta love the historical revisionism here. The over-the-hill, already demented, didn't-like-the-three, hall-of-fame coach had us at 27-13 and on pace to win 55 games before Deron checked out and a few weeks later ultimately caused all the **** he caused. Tied for third in the west and 5 games ahead of the NY Knicks, coached by that modern-day Naismith and inventor of the three point shot(and a 0-time NBA champion) Mike D'Antoni.

The Jazz at that point were 17th in the league in 3PA and 18th in 3PM. Solidly middle of the pack. The Jazz were also 8th in the league in opponent 3P%.

But yeah, let's all remember how the Jazz were playing a 4-corners offense back in 2011.

Well said. People were saying Jerry was over the hill for his last 10 years but it was still working. And a number of players from that era, including Deron, have publicly said he was the best coach and best teacher they ever had.

One, Sloan has dementia. Does this **** even count?

Two, Deron was somewhat unfairly demonized, but I don't even ****ing care. A primadona player came in here and chased out one of the greatest coaches in NBA history. Sloan > DWill.

I don't hate DWill at this point, but this doesn't do anything for me. I love Sloan. He is foundation Jazz. We built this house on his culture.
What if the next time they meet, Sloan forgets about things being smoothed out between them and goes after Williams?

They weren’t passive at all. Lmao

If your idea of not being passive is bringing back the same exact roster three years in a row, while being bumped by the Lakers in successively less games each post-season, then make a big splash by replacing Boozer with Jefferson, then yeah, they were pretty ******* aggressive.

bullseye.

I like this, Deron was in the wrong and it's super obvious that he knows he ****ed up. There isn't anything more he can do at this point. I'd clap for him at the next game.

Jazz three-point attempts per game last 9 years of Jerry Sloan's coaching career.

So, by the time he left, he had his Jazz teams shooting twice as many threes as the last year of Stockton and Malone. But oh, boy. Too slow to adjust. Should've had us shooting 25-30 of them by the end of that decade. 5 seconds or less, baby!

1.png

Oh, but wait. Let's see where the Jazz ranked in opponent 3P%.

221093.png

Yes, the Jazz were bad at one point, but we're not talking about that point. The team won 26 games one of those years and missed the playoffs both years. It was simply bad. It wasn't just the three point defense. The Jazz were middle-of-the-pack the last 4-and-a-half years. That's what we're talking about here, not 2005. We weren't great at it, but man, we were also 16th in that category last year. And not one person is saying Quin is this or that because we're 16th in opponent 3P%. EC Champions were behind us, too.

I have no idea what stuff some of you are actually remembering. If you even are. It's one thing to only watch games or only look at stats, but to spout ******** here having done neither is a disservice to all of us.

The devil is the lesser of the two evil’s

You need to stop. Deron has admitted he was in the wrong, apologized, was willing to meet face to face and apologize. Was he immature and arrogant at the time? Sure. Has he grown up realized, admitted, and apologized for his mistakes. Yes. It's unfortunate what happened at the time, but most people would not be so willing to admit to being wrong and apologize for it in the way Deron did.