What's new

Wing Defender in the Buyout/Trade Market?

bigmike

Looking towards the playoffs - the one thing I think we'd need to add would be another capable, big-body defender who can match up with who we know who stands between us and and a title.

Royce is solid but can't guard two guys at once and can't guard for 48 minutes. Someone who can play 8-10 spot minutes and at least make life a little more difficult on LeBron, George, Kawhi, or Durant could be invaluable (i.e., change 1-2 possessions from a made bucket to a missed bucket).

Is there another big, long, serviceable wing/forward defender who we expect to be available via trade or buyout over the next month? At this point, I don't even care if they can shoot or not, and I figure if they can they'd be way too expensive. We've got shooting out the wazoo and could still put 3 great shooters on the floor even with unnamed potential addition + Rudy/Favors on the floor.

Anyone have thoughts? Other than the obvious (another stretch big, another vet PG, more shooting, etc.) that's all I can think of that would be a feasible addition that may be a big plus in the WCF or Finals.

Not in the buyout but I wish we could get Miles Bridges from Charlotte. I think he has been a disappointment there and he is athletic, young and I think a decent defend

If you don't care about shooting, there's a guy out there. Name starts with an R and ends in an Ondae Hollis-Jefferson. But if you don't care about shooting, our FO apparently does because he's still just sitting there.

Looking towards the playoffs - the one thing I think we'd need to add would be another capable, big-body defender who can match up with who we know who stands between us and and a title.

Royce is solid but can't guard two guys at once and can't guard for 48 minutes. Someone who can play 8-10 spot minutes and at least make life a little more difficult on LeBron, George, Kawhi, or Durant could be invaluable (i.e., change 1-2 possessions from a made bucket to a missed bucket).

Is there another big, long, serviceable wing/forward defender who we expect to be available via trade or buyout over the next month? At this point, I don't even care if they can shoot or not, and I figure if they can they'd be way too expensive. We've got shooting out the wazoo and could still put 3 great shooters on the floor even with unnamed potential addition + Rudy/Favors on the floor.

Anyone have thoughts? Other than the obvious (another stretch big, another vet PG, more shooting, etc.) that's all I can think of that would be a feasible addition that may be a big plus in the WCF or Finals.
Lmao. While it would be nice to have a big athletic defender, we don’t need one. Any big wing defender that can’t shoot goes against the grain of what this team is, and any big athletic big defender out there we can’t get because they’re no available. Idiot!!

If you don't care about shooting, there's a guy out there. Name starts with an R and ends in an Ondae Hollis-Jefferson. But if you don't care about shooting, our FO apparently does because he's still just sitting there.
I do like the idea of bringing him or Andre Roberson in and just letting them be a pinch hitter for 5 minutes a game on Lebron/Kawhi... I'm less concerned about PG because Joe does a solid job on him. Say we opted for GR3 instead... in 5-8 minutes a game in the playoffs will he be able to get shots off? Will there be a meaningful difference between his shooting and RHJ and Roberson's. Will guys adjust and play so far off of them in that tight of a minute window? If the non-shooter is a 20-25 minute a night guy I think it is more disruptive to the offense but both of those guys are really good defenders and would certainly be better than GR3 on that end. Both guys are great rebounders too. I prefer RHJ because I am not sure if Andre can stay healthy. Rondae is also a solid passer/driver.

I still worry we don't have anyone to guard the Jamal Murray, Dame Lillard, Steph types... which is why I liked Shaq. I think Forrest can do a solid job there but an undrafted rookie is tough to rely on.

I do like the idea of bringing him or Andre Roberson in and just letting them be a pinch hitter for 5 minutes a game on Lebron/Kawhi... I'm less concerned about PG because Joe does a solid job on him. Say we opted for GR3 instead... in 5-8 minutes a game in the playoffs will he be able to get shots off? Will there be a meaningful difference between his shooting and RHJ and Roberson's. Will guys adjust and play so far off of them in that tight of a minute window? If the non-shooter is a 20-25 minute a night guy I think it is more disruptive to the offense but both of those guys are really good defenders and would certainly be better than GR3 on that end. Both guys are great rebounders too. I prefer RHJ because I am not sure if Andre can stay healthy. Rondae is also a solid passer/driver.

I still worry we don't have anyone to guard the Jamal Murray, Dame Lillard, Steph types... which is why I liked Shaq. I think Forrest can do a solid job there but an undrafted rookie is tough to rely on.
Neither Trent Forrest or Shaq were likely to see any playoff minutes over Oni to guard those guys.

I would prefer RHJ, too, but my expectations are tempered because the FO obviously doesn't. And unless we're bringing Exum back, the small guards thing is still a possibility, unless we're doing more of the ball denial, though that won't work as well when you also have Jokic... or if you've got KD on the team.

I would prefer RHJ, too, but my expectations are tempered because the FO obviously doesn't. And unless we're bringing Exum back, the small guards thing is still a possibility, unless we're doing more of the ball denial, though that won't work as well when you also have Jokic... or if you've got KD on the team.
Its wild to me that he is unsigned. Especially with some of the success that teams are having with wings operating like bigs... Bruce Brown, Thad Young, Robert Covington are logging time as basically centers and it works pretty well. RHJ has some similarities there and was productive with Toronto last year.

Not saying we should have already signed him but someone should have.

Its wild to me that he is unsigned. Especially with some of the success that teams are having with wings operating like bigs... Bruce Brown, Thad Young, Robert Covington are logging time as basically centers and it works pretty well. RHJ has some similarities there and was productive with Toronto last year.

Yeah... if Favors goes down... I think RHJ may be a pretty interesting run as a small ball 5. He could at least give you 10 minutes at that spot to give Rudy a breather.

I couldn't agree more. He is at least worthy of an end of bench spot on every team in the league.

Here's what happens when we get a great wing defender and they guard Kawhi/LeBron/PG. They set a pick with the guy Mike Conley is guarding and we either switch it or let the guy walk to the basket. NBA basketball isn't a 1v1 game.

I wouldn't mind RHJ for his defense alone. He's not a bad scorer - he just can't stretch the floor - which isn't an issue as we have plenty of shooters who he can kick out to.

It would suck if the Lakers or Clippers signed him.

This is out there but what about Michael Kidd-Gilcrist?

Very good defender but couldn't shoot to save his life.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JazzFanz mobile app
He's an okay defender. Not good enough to justify the ****** parts of his game.

RHJ or Roberson and the best bets imo... unless someone unexpected is bought out.

Not a buyout guy but Sterling Brown has been really good for Houston. Shooting the **** out of the ball. Good rebounding wing. I'm not sure how good his overall defense is. He is tagged with the 3 and D label. Houston is much better defensively with him on the court but there is a lot that factors into that. Houston has had a good defense.

He is on a one year min deal. Houston is likely ready to fold up shop pretty soon and tank the effs outta this B. I don't think they have bird rights because its a one year deal. That'd be a guy I think we could nab for a second or a prospect and a second... or we likely have a trade exception and could send some of Ryan's money to Fertitta in the deal.

I think he'd be an upgrade over Niang once he gets up to speed.