What's new

Wing Defender in the Buyout/Trade Market?

I think Aminu is washed. If he could shoot at a 35% clip I'd be willing to try. I don't see him as a better option than Oni tbh.

Not a buyout guy but Sterling Brown has been really good for Houston. Shooting the **** out of the ball. Good rebounding wing. I'm not sure how good his overall defense is. He is tagged with the 3 and D label. Houston is much better defensively with him on the court but there is a lot that factors into that. Houston has had a good defense.

He is on a one year min deal. Houston is likely ready to fold up shop pretty soon and tank the effs outta this B. I don't think they have bird rights because its a one year deal. That'd be a guy I think we could nab for a second or a prospect and a second... or we likely have a trade exception and could send some of Ryan's money to Fertitta in the deal.

I think he'd be an upgrade over Niang once he gets up to speed.
Sterling Brown is a guy I wanted us to draft.

I also have no idea why Aminu or Prince would get bought out with 2 years left on their deals. Also when you do this exercise realize we have no matching salaries to send back in a trade... so it needs to be a minimum dude or a guy that definitely is getting bought out.

It is dumb to buyout a guy with 2 years left on their deal because you can't used that salary to match in a trade and are locked into that cost on the salary cap.

Sterling Brown is a guy I wanted us to draft.
He's 42% from three on a solid amount of attempts and rebounds like Royce. I think he's solid on defense. He's THICC so would help with the Kawhi, LBJ types.

If we're this desperate, it's probably worth putting Brantley on the floor in some matchups. He's long, wide, moves well and can't get run through. It might not take much for him to have a Jae Crowder effect on defense.

The issue though is that a team can't have a weakness on the floor. Regardless, of the other personnel out there, if there's a guy who can get attacked defensively, the other team will just switch onto him. Last night, Quin had to take Bogdanovic off the floor. Other nights he's had to take Niang off the floor. We can add a defensive wing, but if we've still got a weak link out there, that guy is going to get switched onto and attacked.

I also have no idea why Aminu or Prince would get bought out with 2 years left on their deals. Also when you do this exercise realize we have no matching salaries to send back in a trade... so it needs to be a minimum dude or a guy that definitely is getting bought out.

It is dumb to buyout a guy with 2 years left on their deal because you can't used that salary to match in a trade and are locked into that cost on the salary cap.

Aminu and Prince aren't buy-outs. They're trade targets, but they probably aren't worth their current salaries. That's why they are probably attainable in trades.

Aminu and Prince aren't buy-outs. They're trade targets, but they probably aren't worth their current salaries.
You trading Favs or Bojan for them? They both make way to much money to get anywhere near a salary match. Basically we can do stuff at the min or maybe up to 4M by aggregating a couple minimum dudes.

Both are pretty terrible tbh. Aminu has hope if he can stay healthy. I have never been impressed with Prince.

@infection Go watch some of the youtube stuff on Sterling. He has a little dribble drive game too. Runs some pick and rolls. Gets after it on the glass.

I'd make a thread about getting Brown but that means we won't get him for sure.

Did a deep dive... sold that Brown would be an improvement over Niang. Don't think Brown's shooting is a big outlier this year. I think it is likely regular rotation spots.

He gets more rebounds, steals, assists, blocks and does it while committing less turnovers. He's likely a better overall defender than Georges and I think he be more likely to be able to perform during the playoffs.

I think we could just take him with our trade exception which saves Houston some money, offer a little cash in the deal... $1M or $2M, and a second round pick. I don't think they would get more than that. Cash is very important to Tillman... that part of the deal may be enough along with some phony draft asset.

Second round pick watch... we have GS second next year and our 2026 second we can offer. Those cupboards are a little bare. If Houston wanted a prospect I'd consider sending Hughes... if they wanted Morgan I'd probably be okay with that but with Dok out we'd have no other bigs.

I think he is really gettable... every report seems to think they are trying to tear things down right now. Houston has strong incentive to tank... their pick can go to OKC in the most complicated swap you've ever seen... basically OKC will get either Miami's first or Houston's first this year.... but it is top 4 protected. So they absolutely need to get to the bottom of the league and stay there.

Did a deep dive... sold that Brown would be an improvement over Niang. Don't think Brown's shooting is a big outlier this year. I think it is likely regular rotation spots.

He gets more rebounds, steals, assists, blocks and does it while committing less turnovers. He's likely a better overall defender than Georges and I think he be more likely to be able to perform during the playoffs.

I think we could just take him with our trade exception which saves Houston some money, offer a little cash in the deal... $1M or $2M, and a second round pick. I don't think they would get more than that. Cash is very important to Tillman... that part of the deal may be enough along with some phony draft asset.

Second round pick watch... we have GS second next year and our 2026 second we can offer. Those cupboards are a little bare. If Houston wanted a prospect I'd consider sending Hughes... if they wanted Morgan I'd probably be okay with that but with Dok out we'd have no other bigs.

I think he is really gettable... every report seems to think they are trying to tear things down right now. Houston has strong incentive to tank... their pick can go to OKC in the most complicated swap you've ever seen... basically OKC will get either Miami's first or Houston's first this year.... but it is top 4 protected. So they absolutely need to get to the bottom of the league and stay there.
He is a good player but he is 6'5. We don't need another short wing we have too many already (Don, Clarkson, Oni, Royce). We need a long, athletic wing. Our big wings lacking athleticism (Joe, Bogey, Niang). That's why we are having a hard time against teams that have dynamic big wings. I think we need a guy at least 6'7.