What's new

Wing Defender in the Buyout/Trade Market?

He is a good player but he is 6'5. We don't need another short wing we have too many already (Don, Clarkson, Oni, Royce). We need a long, athletic wing. Our big wings lacking athleticism (Joe, Bogey, Niang). That's why we are having a hard time against teams that have dynamic big wings. I think we need a guy at least 6'7.

Funny thing on this is that i don't even think that Bogey really lacks athleticism at all. He's just simply an average-ish guy on that end. Had he Ingles footwork and reading of the game, he'd be really good (but then he also would cost some more money)

Did a deep dive... sold that Brown would be an improvement over Niang. Don't think Brown's shooting is a big outlier this year. I think it is likely regular rotation spots.

He gets more rebounds, steals, assists, blocks and does it while committing less turnovers. He's likely a better overall defender than Georges and I think he be more likely to be able to perform during the playoffs.

I think we could just take him with our trade exception which saves Houston some money, offer a little cash in the deal... $1M or $2M, and a second round pick. I don't think they would get more than that. Cash is very important to Tillman... that part of the deal may be enough along with some phony draft asset.

Second round pick watch... we have GS second next year and our 2026 second we can offer. Those cupboards are a little bare. If Houston wanted a prospect I'd consider sending Hughes... if they wanted Morgan I'd probably be okay with that but with Dok out we'd have no other bigs.

I think he is really gettable... every report seems to think they are trying to tear things down right now. Houston has strong incentive to tank... their pick can go to OKC in the most complicated swap you've ever seen... basically OKC will get either Miami's first or Houston's first this year.... but it is top 4 protected. So they absolutely need to get to the bottom of the league and stay there.
I would definitely take jaylen brown over niang

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

There will be some gems getting waived over the next few weeks. The question is whether or not they fit our system and needs.

When does the Houston fire sale begin? Asking for a friend...

Reports are we are interested in Tucker which I would love. Unfortunately we have zero contracts that would match his contract or make sense to use in a trade for him.

The love affair around the league with Tucker makes no sense to me. The guy looks toast to me. He isn't nearly the defender he used to be and his offense looks horrible this year. That is with Wall finding him a bunch of clean looks.

The love affair around the league with Tucker makes no sense to me. The guy looks toast to me. He isn't nearly the defender he used to be and his offense looks horrible this year. That is with Wall finding him a bunch of clean looks.
I've never been a big Tucker fan and thought he was purely a product of environment. That said, even with him aging, I think the value he could bring is being a hustle guy and doing some dirty work, while being respected in the corner. He's a body you can throw at the bigger wings for a few minutes to change things up. I'd definitely take him if he were bought out. Wouldn't trade for him because you'd have to do like a 5 for 1.

I've never been a big Tucker fan and thought he was purely a product of environment. That said, even with him aging, I think the value he could bring is being a hustle guy and doing some dirty work, while being respected in the corner. He's a body you can throw at the bigger wings for a few minutes to change things up. I'd definitely take him if he were bought out. Wouldn't trade for him because you'd have to do like a 5 for 1.
He’s also one of those guys that is allowed to get away with murder for some reason... CP3, Beverly, are some of the others. They get more ripe with the refs because of their reputation.

He’s probably sand bagging it tbh. Why would he go hard... his role is one of the hardest least fun things to do... why do it for a team that is tanking and wouldn’t give him an extension? To help his trade value... nah best case for him is they can’t find anything for him and he gets bought out.

He’s a guy that can function as a small ball center but I’d be worried our role for him is too small.

I like Brown and think he’s a better bargain/fit.

PJ Tucker is not an NBA level player anymore. He's probably coasting right now, but he's nowhere near as good as people made him out to be.

I honestly don't see any player (at the moment) as a good buyout addition to our team. We're thriving and an addition could throw off the chemistry and tempo. However, it would also be great to add depth just incase someone gets injured, but I don't think it's something we need to entertain right now. This is maybe the first time in over 20 years where I can say that we have the exact team that we need. If we can stay relatively injury-free, there isn't a need for an exchange or an addition. If a buyout happens, where the Jazz don't have to put up the money for the buyout and we can grab an exceptional talent for pennies on the dollar on a 4 month rental, then of course, we pull the trigger. Right now, there's nothing out there that would add significant value over what we already have.

I'd give Brantley some minutes at the 4 and see if he doesn't completely screw things up. He's played a year in the G-league already. Throw him out on the floor and see what he can do. He's built like Millsap.
Brantley, to me, doesn't look like he has improved from last year. Looks like he has a low-basketball IQ.

Brantley, to me, doesn't look like he has improved from last year. Looks like he has a low-basketball IQ.
A lot of 1-5 year players appear that way to me too. I think it might be because the game is evolving and changing so fast, that they have a hard time adapting. And being able to adapt is what's separating the leaders from the pack.

A lot of 1-5 year players appear that way to me too. I think it might be because the game is evolving and changing so fast, that they have a hard time adapting. And being able to adapt is what's separating the leaders from the pack.

The things Brantley did in college, backing people down and playing bully ball in the paint, don't translate to the NBA. But what he can do is make defensive rotations, use his wide body to stay in front of guys, move the ball on offense and rebound. The thing that holds him back is his 3pt shooting, which is in the low 30s. If he can get that up, he can be rotational.

PJ Tucker looks washed, and he's shooting around 31% from 3pt this year. The Jazz should be able to take a few games and experiment a little with their rotations. Last year, the Jazz make a point to play Rayjon Tucker 10 mins for several games. I think they should do the same with Brantley. I think what's holding him back is the 3pt shooting. The Jazz just make it a huge priority.

The things Brantley did in college, backing people down and playing bully ball in the paint, don't translate to the NBA. But what he can do is make defensive rotations, use his wide body to stay in front of guys, move the ball on offense and rebound. The thing that holds him back is his 3pt shooting, which is in the low 30s. If he can get that up, he can be rotational.

PJ Tucker looks washed, and he's shooting around 31% from 3pt this year. The Jazz should be able to take a few games and experiment a little with their rotations. Last year, the Jazz make a point to play Rayjon Tucker 10 mins for several games. I think they should do the same with Brantley. I think what's holding him back is the 3pt shooting. The Jazz just make it a huge priority.

No doubt about it, the guy has talent. He's still so young and has so much we haven't seen. Your right about Quin needing to play him a little more, it would give him the experience he needs. There's no doubt that there is also a lot of development and training behind the scenes that we don't hear about but is definitely being accomplished. His time will come when we call him and it will be interesting to see if he answers. He's got the talent for sure.