What's new

With the Fifth Pick... Dante Exum

My problem isn't that I don't trust the office to evaluate talent, my problem is that the whole approach is wrong. Picking the best player available is a bad idea. You fill needs. The Jazz don't need a PG or a SG.

Blazers passed on Michael Jordan because they already had Drexler. You don't fill needs this high in the draft. Especially a team that just won 25 games.

Love this pick! I don't know why and I don't care why... but something tells me we're going to be bummed in 4-5 years when he wants to take his talents to South Beach.

That ish was crazy... Thought for sure we were getting Gordon. Think Burks is on the block now?

My problem isn't that I don't trust the office to evaluate talent, my problem is that the whole approach is wrong. Picking the best player available is a bad idea. You fill needs. The Jazz don't need a PG or a SG.

I disagree. You take the player you think will be best and work things out later. I also don't think Trey Burke is irreplaceable if we are being honest. He has some good and bad aspects to his game. This also doesn't mean that Trey and Exum can't play together if they do decide to keep Trey. We'll see what happens.

We need upgrades and depth at every position. BPA is clearly the better strategy, but I also think we hit a home run with Exum.

Simmons just forgot that Exum went to Utah, thought he was a Magic player.

I think they hope the Gordon pick is like a westbrook pick.

Blazers passed on Michael Jordan because they already had Drexler. You don't fill needs this high in the draft. Especially a team that just won 25 games.
You fill needs with free agency. Free agents are often more ready to play right away. You ALWAYS draft the best player available at EVERY SINGLE PICK. Don't care if it's #1 or #60. If you trust the process, then you draft the best player on your board. Period.

I don't love the pick, but I trust the process. The Jazz have good people in the building doing their evaluations. They have eyes on guys here in the states and overseas. They know these guys so much better than we ever will. Sometimes they're wrong, and sometimes they're very, very right. For the Jazz sake, I hope like hell that he's a transcendent player. I hope he's a PG at that size that can drive like Rose and shoot like Kobe. I hope he's a guy that they can build around. If he'd been the pick a year ago, I'd have been ecstatic. I'm amazed that they've kept the buzz for him strong for a whole year.

He does have some qualities that I like about him. Great length and hopefully a strong athlete. Seems to be smart, nice and a determined competitor. The Jazz need an Alpha. I hope that he can be that guy. I'm not sure where this leaves the rest of the roster, but I'd imagine that Gordon Hayward goes back to the 3 position. I'm interested in seeing the PG competition between Burke and Exum (and Neto). Hopefully they all come in ready to get after it.

LOVE this pick. When were the Jazz the best? Stockton and Horny in the back court.. TB, Exum and Burks will be a terrific 3 man rotation on the guard line. This has the potential to eventually be one of the best best back court rotations we have ever had. Hayward and Exum can both play the 3 as well. Exum and Hayward can be a very big back court.. Very exciting options.

I was excited about the pick but it was embarrassing to **** my pants in front of my coworkers. Mixed emotions right now, but smoking a cig and feeling extremely relaxed.

You ALWAYS draft the best player available at EVERY SINGLE PICK. Don't care if it's #1 or #60. If you trust the process, then you draft the best player on your board. Period.

Why complicate things? If you need a centre, you draft a freaking centre. You don't draft a small forward, then trade your current small forward for dimes on the dollar to get a centre. You draft a freaking centre. Good grief, it's not that complicated.

I'm stunned Gordon went before him, but still, great pick for that spot. His phyical attributes are top notch. I hope his attitude is.

This is a bit risky but an interesting pick. Decent defender and the quickest first-step since Kobe.

He's going to score a lot of points inside. If we keep Hayward we're going to have some nice passes!

I look forward to our next two picks!