What's new

Withey accused of domestic violence

It's called common-sense, action and reaction, and psychology. For example, you can tell a parent they have no clue how it feels to lose a child if they never have, but I'm certain a parent who never lost a child would agree it would be the worst thing ever. Yet with your way of thinking you claim they wouldn't know this because they haven't experienced it.

To say 'noone can judge, noone can make an educated assumption, noone can have an opinion' toward a situation just because it didn't happen to us is stupid. If that was the case, everyone on trial would be presumed unable to judge because everyone else didn't experience the exact same thing they did.

You can make all the judgments and assumptions you want, BUT if you have any sense of what has historically happened in cases of sexual abuse charges, and how society has traditonally treated the women who make them, you'd be saying something differently here.

I am not saying that one cannot make informed or reasonable judgments about how one should or might act in a particular situation, but what I am saying is that when these situations are no more than theoretical abstractions to the person making the judgment, their judgments are wrong with an astonishing degree of frequency. Men judging how women should act when confronted with sexual abuse (which are often abetted by existing power asymetries for which men have no practical basis to understand) are particularly bound to be wrong more often than not in their judgments.

My question is why did it get filed after the series shifted to Utah?

This is one of the things I pride myself in is reading people but I don't know personally either person. I wouldn't care either way is withey is on the jazz next year.

To me she seems psycho. She is a person that wants attention.

He seems pretty laid back from his demeanor on the court but I could see him get to the point of fighting back.

If this did happen I am saddened for both parties. I would be angry at withey for not showing more aggression on the court.

I think the jazz will have a sit down with withey and get his side of the story but I don't see a suspension coming any time soon.

My gut tells me where there is smoke there is fire but not enough to be concerned about. I feel he is innocent until proven guilty.

Sent from my Z981 using JazzFanz mobile app

Every claim should be treated seriously, but with healthy skepticism. The justice system is designed to protect people from being falsely convicted even at the expense of sometimes letting guilty people go free. So until strong evidence comes out it is only fair to treat Withey as innocent. Of course if video or other strong evidence (witness testimony, other women coming forward etc) comes out at some point then it would make sense to take a side to some degree as an observer.

The timing of this is definitely something else that should be looked in to, and any motives that she might have to lie should be fully explored. You can't let emotions get involved in an investigation like this. You have to give room the either side is not being truthful in order to seek true justice for both parties. It is immoral to immediately show prejudice for one side or the other. Too often people want to infuse some politically charged ideological point into these kinds of issues.

I see nothing here I disagree with. It is an irony that so many, while claiming that the man is innocent until proven guilty, by default assume guilt on the part of the female accuser charging her with a large litany of mendacious motives, with lying, or with any number of other character flaws, crimes or misdemeanors.

I am not saying that we should assume Withey or any other man is guilty (although when the accusations pile up such as with Cosby, Trump or O'Reilly the odds are they're guilty), but neither should we assume the woman is a lying, conniving, gold digging so and so. Yet, the latter is precisely what our societial norms/practices conditions us to do. We should, in short, take such charges seriously and afford respect and consideration to those making them and not go into default 'blame the victim' mode.

My question is why did it get filed after the series shifted to Utah?

This is one of the things I pride myself in is reading people but I don't know personally either person. I wouldn't care either way is withey is on the jazz next year.

To me she seems psycho. She is a person that wants attention.

He seems pretty laid back from his demeanor on the court but I could see him get to the point of fighting back.

If this did happen I am saddened for both parties. I would be angry at withey for not showing more aggression on the court.

I think the jazz will have a sit down with withey and get his side of the story but I don't see a suspension coming any time soon.

My gut tells me where there is smoke there is fire but not enough to be concerned about. I feel he is innocent until proven guilty.

People who pride themselves on their ability to read people are typically below average at reading people and also make an inordinate amount of decisions based on their fallacious assumptions about people. Just sayin'.

The article said she is in her third year of medical school so she is intelligent. Put the posting of the photo on facebook of herself is a little bizarre.

I see nothing here I disagree with. It is an irony that so many, while claiming that the man is innocent until proven guilty, by default assume guilt on the part of the female accuser charging her with a large litany of mendacious motives, with lying, or with any number of other character flaws, crimes or misdemeanors.

I am not saying that we should assume Withey or any other man is guilty (although when the accusations pile up such as with Cosby, Trump or O'Reilly the odds are they're guilty), but neither should we assume the woman is a lying, conniving, gold digging so and so. Yet, the latter is precisely what our societial norms/practices conditions us to do. We should, in short, take such charges seriously and afford respect and consideration to those making them and not go into default 'blame the victim' mode.

I'm not blaming the victim. You're so one-sided on the issue that you attack anyone who even remotely doesn't have your way of thinking. Me and others have stated Withey's ex's behavior raises suspicion, as does the timing of her allegations.

I've witnessed women who have been physically and/or emotionally abused and their demeanor and actions are not at all similar to Withey's ex. Am I saying Withey didn't physically and/or emotionally abuse her? No. Noone on this thread is making that assumption. But some of us do find her past behavior is bringing into question both her integrity and mental state.

Is Withey mentally unstable and abusive? Maybe. Is she? Maybe. Do people posting on this message board have a right to post their thoughts, ideas and opinions as long as it's done in a manner that doesn't break the TOS and regardless of whether you agree with it or not? Yep.

Withey can go, IMO. Not assigning any blame related to this particular complaint, but he's proving he's not a legit NBA big, and I don't think that frolicking around with Playboy Playmates and finding yourself on TMZ every few months for the wrong reasons is really the "Jazz way."

Hilarious how ideological some people are about everything.

People who pride themselves on their ability to read people are typically below average at reading people and also make an inordinate amount of decisions based on their fallacious assumptions about people. Just sayin'.
Well I am pretty good (if I do say so myself), but I have a back ground in psychology and I study books on body language as I was in sales for 20 years.

Interesting new study is micro expressions.

*I can give examples if you would like

Well I am pretty good (if I do say so myself), but I have a back ground in psychology and I study books on body language as I was in sales for 20 years.

Interesting new study is micro expressions.

*I can give examples if you would like

What does that mean when you say you "have a background in psychology"? You watch a lot of Criminal Minds?

Hilarious how ideological some people are about everything.

Ideally, we get drunk as **** Friday night and the Jazz win at the buzzer again for an amazing night!

Or they blow them out by 40. Either way.

As i am married to someone who has endured abuse through her life, the way a woman -- or any person -- handles abuse is individually unique. Timings may seem weird, or sometimes they don't want to report anything at all -- there is no right time to seek action against abuse, whats important is that action is being taken -- any associated shaming of the victim is uncalled for. They could have difficulties facing the problem due to self shame, embarrassment, fear, or a whole other myriad of issues. I'm one for "innocent until proven guilty", but i'm also one for defending a potential victim from "shaming" or "suspicion" due to allegations of abuse. No one should have to face scrutiny for seeking action against abuse, and its the nay-say attitude of the public against these victims that feeds into the lack of action in the first place.

Either Jeff ****ed up and abused this woman, and deserves the punishment coming his way-- or (statistically way smaller chance) Jeff ****ed up by being in a relationship with a woman who would try to get back at him by doing something like this.

We need to keep in mind that statistically the former is much more likely, and either way Jeff ****ed up. Sad situation, hope it ends up in the best of ways for both parties.

Just remember folks, no matter what happened here, it's the mans fault.

What does that mean when you say you "have a background in psychology"? You watch a lot of Criminal Minds?
No I study psychology in college. It was my minor. I also read a lot. I subscribe to psychology today.

It is an interesting course of study considering it is not based on any laws but on theory. I have a different take into the human mind then you will find from most psychologists.