What's new

Woj: Don to the Cavs for Markkanen, Agbaji, Sexton, three unprotected 1sts, two swaps, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Okay, I get Don's relationship with fans has always been weird on this board (My favorite was folks lambasting him because he... hung out Lebron in a gym). But every clutch stat available says that is utter bull****. Come on guys.
Who gave him **** for hanging with Bron?

For whatever it's worth, I think Donovan handled himself with a lot of class during this summer and to a large degree he facilitated the Jazz getting the best offer they possibly could get. First he was all over NY and managed to ramp up tons and tons of hype among NY fans and media about potential trade, but at the same time he said close to nothing past his "unsettled and unnerved" thing. In essence, what he did is - allow Ainge to launch a bidding war for his services and made a team give us pretty much everything they possibly could have given us as future value(kind of similar to the Rudy deal). Donovan didn't come out with a public trade demand, didn't come up with a strict list of destinations. Said nothing throughout all the rumors and waited for the trade. Just take a look at all the shady stuff other stars have been doing and saying while waiting for a trade. Donovan did none of that.

I can't fault him much for anything he did this summer after Rudy's trade. That's why he engendered a bit of good will with me even though I haven't been a huge fan of how he handled himself in the last couple of years. Good on him and I actually hope he has success with the Cavs. At least early in his career there. And hell, if he wants to ditch them for NY in 3 years... kudos to him again :cool:

And teams will ask for more from the Jazz because the Jazz have more. So I think it's kinda important to keep in mind that these picks might be best used as picks and not so much as trade assets.
How much they ask for is meaningless. You think the Jazz are just going to give them more picks because the counterpart asks for them?

Sexton is a 2
Well he can do both, he only played sg because he and Garland are similar build but Garland is a better facilitator. If you want him to play sg this year cool, I want losses, so what do I care. But, going forward do we want our sg to be 6-1? With that said it might be better to play him and at pg and see if he can be molded into what we need at pg or find out if we need to trade him. Not sure how we can progress into contenders with a small guard lineup.

Well he can do both, he only played sg because he and Garland are similar build but Garland is a better facilitator. If you want him to play sg this year cool, I want losses, so what do I care. But, going forward do we want our sg to be 6-1? With that said it might be better to play him and at pg and see if he can be molded into what we need at pg or find out if we need to trade him. Not sure how we can progress into contenders with a small guard lineup.

Get a big 1 or use him in a Clarkson role. I’ve seen nothing to suggest he has the basic pg skills. Hope I’m wrong.

Get a big 1 or use him in a Clarkson role. I’ve seen nothing to suggest he has the basic pg skills. Hope I’m wrong.
But in year one, IMO he should be given the chance to improve as a one. Tall skilled pg’s don’t exactly grow on trees. If he’s going to play the 2, our pg is going to at least need to be 6-4, and even then that might still be viewed as being small

It's hard to believe Sexton is still only 23. The wins and losses won't matter so much this season. I'd throw him out there and see what he can do as a playmaker before boxing him in as purely a Jalen Brunson type that relies on a big playmaker and/or as a Clarkson archetype microwave scorer.

I'd throw THT out there and see if he has any playmaking chops too.

Get Ben Simmons.

Who and what would you give to get him? That would be interesting though.

This is actually interesting. Simmons has three years left on his deal and his value is at the absolute lowest it could be. The more years you take off that contract, the more his value goes up for a team that thinks they can rehab him on a short deal. I'd be curious about looking in to a Westbrook / Simmons swap. It could backfire if Simmons continues being Simmons, but if you suck down a year of that contract and he actually plays, you could certain get a return on him in a year when he's only got two years left on the deal and you can parlay that into more assets.

How much they ask for is meaningless. You think the Jazz are just going to give them more picks because the counterpart asks for them?
No. In which case, a deal isn’t made.

I’m simply saying teams are gonna demand more from the Jazz than other teams with less. We literally just watched the Jazz do this with the Knicks and Boston was on the wrong side of that around 2017.

I’m simply saying teams are gonna demand more from the Jazz than other teams with less. We literally just watched the Jazz do this with the Knicks and Boston was on the wrong side of that around 2017.

So teams are going to dream impossible dreams that never come true. That has no impact on the Jazz whatsoever.

Who and what would you give to get him? That would be interesting though.
You'd only get him if he becomes toxic to the Nets and they mostly want a salary dump. Then you bet on Will Hardy as a "high EQ" coach to help Ben through a mental health rehab project. My comment was tongue in cheek but it does make you think.

There are more and more teams running their offenses through "nonprototypical point guards" (Jokic, LeBron, Luka) who can have both better "altitude vision" and extraordinary passing skills. (flashback Magic). Ironically, this could create a niche for a "small scoring guard who is not a great facilitator/ passer"

Of course you need to address the defensive side of the ball. Like 2021 utah, cleveland has two small guards, but unlike utah they have two excellent defenders to compensate.

I mean the jazz wanted 3 unprotected and a couple of decent players. All of the extraneous New York picks didn't matter. We were more interested in the Knicks because they historically suck not because they had an extra 3 or 4 garbage picks.

Sexton is a 2
Although I agree he has not played the point in the NBA much at all .So it is a question that needs answered. I have seen enough Cavs games, to watch him struggle with bad shooters and hesitant one's, at least enough to understand his unwillingness to share the ball and the scrutiny that came with it.

There are more and more teams running their offenses through "nonprototypical point guards" (Jokic, LeBron, Luka) who can have both better "altitude vision" and extraordinary passing skills. (flashback Magic). Ironically, this could create a niche for a "small scoring guard who is not a great facilitator/ passer"

Of course you need to address the defensive side of the ball. Like 2021 utah, cleveland has two small guards, but unlike utah they have two excellent defenders to compensate.
I think the idea is to put Sexton and Agbaji together and although it may not happemn right away, it will be the best backcourt

I think the idea is to put Sexton and Agbaji together and although it may not happemn right away, it will be the best backcourt
Maybe, but far from foregone conclusion. They would need a facilitator at the 3 or 4 for this to have a remote chance of working