What's new

[Woj] Donovan Mitchell signs 5/195M max designated rookie extension with the Jazz

NOT UNDER THE CURRENT CBA THAT'S LITERALLY WHY THEY FIXED IT IN 2017 AND NO PLAYER OFFERED THE 5 YEAR MAX HAS DONE ANYTHING BUT SIGN THE FULL 5 YEAR MAX NO OPTIONS UNTIL TATUM AND MITCHELL. That was the exact point of the reason they re-worked it in the CBA to heavily favor teams on these extensions. So they could retain the stars they drafted for as long as possible. There is zero reason they should have given in on it.
Jesus Christ, dude. Get help.

Also worth pointing out that just last year Pascal Siakam signed for only 4 years on a "Rose Rule" contract. So, you know, 3 out of like 9 of these things have been for less than 5 guaranteed years.

Jesus Christ, dude. Get help.

Also worth pointing out that just last year Pascal Siakam signed for only 4 years on a "Rose Rule" contract. So, you know, 3 out of like 9 of these things have been for less than 5 guaranteed years.
Siakam was not offered the 5 year max. PS, that’s all Donovan’s is, is essentially a 4 year contract now. When we have to try to lie to ourselves to justify it....it’s probably not great.

The new CBA was literally built to give teams like the Jazz as much leverage as possible in this situation.

Last edited:
Siakam was not offered the 5 year max. PS, that’s all Donovan’s is, is essentially a 4 year contract now. When we have to try to lie to ourselves to justify it....it’s probably not great.

The new CBA was literally built to give teams like the Jazz as much leverage as possible in this situation.
Who's lying to themselves? Donovan wanted more options. Period.

The Jazz have him under contract for 5 more seasons. That's it, your fever dreams notwithstanding.

Who's lying to themselves? Donovan wanted more options. Period.

The Jazz have him under contract for 5 more seasons. That's it, your fever dreams notwithstanding.
“This is normal” “Siakam signed 4 years” Trying to compare his contract to things that don’t apply. Donovan can want all he wants, in this situation, it is indefensible for the front office to give in on it. The CBA was built to favor the team to not give that PO. Zanick and Lindsey are garbage negotiators. We could look at JC’s contract next at their negotiating skills. They suck and the PO sucks.

So why is Mitchell’s contract 5/195 more than what AD got 5/190 ? Do teams not get a bargain on the second contract? Small markets getting screwed over like always.... I mean I like Mitchell but he doesn’t have near the value of AD. This deal is looking worse and worse for the Jazz.

Sooooo.... does the 5th year option mean AD doesn't want to be in LA? No, saying so is flat out stupid and always will be.

“This is normal” “Siakam signed 4 years” Trying to compare his contract to things that don’t apply. Donovan can want all he wants, in this situation, it is indefensible for the front office to give in on it. The CBA was built to favor the team to not give that PO. Zanick and Lindsey are garbage negotiators. We could look at JC’s contract next at their negotiating skills. They suck and the PO sucks.
So if Donovan and his agent made the player option his condition for signing, should we have just played hard ball with him and said no? I agree that from a Jazz standpoint it would be better if there were no player options but there are two sides negotiating.

So why is Mitchell’s contract 5/195 more than what AD got 5/190 ? Do teams not get a bargain on the second contract? Small markets getting screwed over like always.... I mean I like Mitchell but he doesn’t have near the value of AD. This deal is looking worse and worse for the Jazz.
AD isn't eligible for the super-max because only the team that can draft you can give it to you. Donovans contract is actually 5 years/$163 million with the potential to make $195 million if he makes any of the all NBA teams every year of the deal. If he makes ANY of the 3 All NBA teams he gets 30% of the Jazz cap instead of the 25% of the normal max the year after making any of the 3 all nba teams. This is another thing the Jazz gave him. De'Aaron Fox has to make FIRST team All NBA to get the 30%. AD is not eligible because he's not with the team that drafted him. Can't get the supermax if you change teams before signing it.

Sooooo.... does the 5th year option mean AD doesn't want to be in LA? No, saying so is flat out stupid and always will be.

No because AD was a free agent, he has the leverage here, and it's normal when you're a free agent to get a player option. The two situations aren't the same at all, so lets not compare them. Donovan was a restricted free agent.

So if Donovan and his agent made the player option his condition for signing, should we have just played hard ball with him and said no? I agree that from a Jazz standpoint it would be better if there were no player options but there are two sides negotiating.
Donovan was a restricted free agent. Jazz gave him a 15% trade kicker, potential to get 30% super-max money for any all NBA team, and what you say then is "we gave you all this, we don't want a player option on the last year". As a restricted free agent Donovan would have to play out an entire season and the Jazz could match whatever offer sheet he signed and keep him here anyway. He was not turning down a contract worth up to $195 million, the security of not having to worry about injury this season, the trade kicker, and a gold plated contract over a player option. Yes. If you're the team you stick with "no, we are not giving in on a player option". As Hollinger said this was not a negotiation, this is the most lopsided rookie extension ever handed out. So here's my question for you, does Donovan stay for another contract? Does he sign the super-max extension he'll likely be eligible for in 3 and a half years? Do you think Donovan stays in Utah beyond that player option now? If the answer is "yes" then it's fine he got a player option if it made him feel like the Jazz truly treated him like a king with that contract because they did. If the answer is "no" or "probably not" then if you're the Jazz that contract is very lopsided in his favor. Get rid of the trade kicker at minimum. There's no way whatsoever they had to give in on the player option and now you potentially lose the largest super star you've ever had a year earlier than necessary. It gives him leverage to ask for a trade even sooner in the contract. The player option makes him more difficult to trade, the trade kicker makes him much more difficult to trade if he asks for it unless its the destination of his choice. Like you want to talk about a gold plated contract, wrapped in a bow. That's what they gave him, and you better hope the way they treated him here means something to him.

AD isn't eligible for the super-max because only the team that can draft you can give it to you. Donovans contract is actually 5 years/$163 million with the potential to make $195 million if he makes any of the all NBA teams every year of the deal. If he makes ANY of the 3 All NBA teams he gets 30% of the Jazz cap instead of the 25% of the normal max the year after making any of the 3 all nba teams. This is another thing the Jazz gave him. De'Aaron Fox has to make FIRST team All NBA to get the 30%. AD is not eligible because he's not with the team that drafted him. Can't get the supermax if you change teams before signing it.

No because AD was a free agent, he has the leverage here, and it's normal when you're a free agent to get a player option. The two situations aren't the same at all, so lets not compare them. Donovan was a restricted free agent.

Donovan was a restricted free agent. Jazz gave him a 15% trade kicker, potential to get 30% super-max money for any all NBA team, and what you say then is "we gave you all this, we don't want a player option on the last year". As a restricted free agent Donovan would have to play out an entire season and the Jazz could match whatever offer sheet he signed and keep him here anyway. He was not turning down a contract worth up to $195 million, the security of not having to worry about injury this season, the trade kicker, and a gold plated contract over a player option. Yes. If you're the team you stick with "no, we are not giving in on a player option". As Hollinger said this was not a negotiation, this is the most lopsided rookie extension ever handed out. So here's my question for you, does Donovan stay for another contract? Does he sign the super-max extension he'll likely be eligible for in 3 and a half years? Do you think Donovan stays in Utah beyond that player option now? If the answer is "yes" then it's fine he got a player option if it made him feel like the Jazz truly treated him like a king with that contract because they did. If the answer is "no" or "probably not" then if you're the Jazz that contract is very lopsided in his favor. Get rid of the trade kicker at minimum. There's no way whatsoever they had to give in on the player option and now you potentially lose the largest super star you've ever had a year earlier than necessary. It gives him leverage to ask for a trade even sooner in the contract. The player option makes him more difficult to trade, the trade kicker makes him much more difficult to trade if he asks for it unless its the destination of his choice. Like you want to talk about a gold plated contract, wrapped in a bow. That's what they gave him, and you better hope the way they treated him here means something to him.
I know you previously gave us links to each time Donovan’s shoes came out to make sure we could support him and show our love, but do you know where I could find a Donovan Knicks jersey in a youth size? I think my son would like one for Christmas.

I know you previously gave us links to each time Donovan’s shoes came out to make sure we could support him and show our love, but do you know where I could find a Donovan Knicks jersey in a youth size? I think my son would like one for Christmas.
They are already all over eBay.

I am glad to have everyone support Donovan and buy his stuff so his brand does well while he's here. Whether he stays or goes that is still important to show he can be very successful here. My point stands, unless you are confident confident that giving him literally everything in this contract helps you retain for another contract, the player option just results in you losing him earlier than was necessary. When you have a super star, you do everything possible to retain them for as long as possibly possible ESPECIALLY in SLC, UT. They didn't, they gave in and gave him a player option when they absolutely did. not. have. to. Now, does that work for them in a beneficial way in the long run, where he feels you treated him so well with this contract that he's going to treat the Jazz better because of it going forward? We'll see. But the player option is as stupid as it comes from a team standpoint. Dennis Lindsey's biggest knock on him has been how he handled the Hayward negotiations. This is a Godly contract they gave Donovan. And yes Donovan deserves the perks and every dime in this contract, but from an organizational standpoint they could have negotiated something. There's literally nothing else they could have agreed to under the current rules that makes this contract better. It is the most player friendly rookie extension ever. And I hope Donovan values how he was treated here.