What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

I am still not sure Russell is good... I know he made an all star game but I’m still crazy nervous to pay him the max. I don’t know if he’s a winning player... like if him and Zach Lavine switch spots are we saying Zach’s an all star and deserves the max?

Dlo and Kyrie would be a disaster... I think DM is a slightly better fit but still clunky... people keep thinking if you put two inefficient young guards together they will make each other more efficient? I’m not sure they develop that synergy and I think it becomes more of a “my turn your turn” system.

Its more spacing that makes them more efficient. Mitchell has been playing with a PG that is not really guarded. Having a good shooter next to him makes a huge difference. Both benefit from defenses having to respect both players. Plus both are very young so its a pretty safe assumption they will improve and get more efficient.

I dont think Snyder is suddenly going to change our whole system to be my turn your turn iso system.

Brooklyn was a winning team with him as their primary scorer and ball handler so that kind of makes him a winning player.

A lot of people telling me Mitchell plays PG....

And Durant wont play for an entire year and might not even be max worthy when he starts playing again.

Kyrie and D-lo.
Mitchell has nothing to do with reasons why the nets would want to keep russell or not

Sure about durant but i think the nets would still max him and therefore not be able to afford russell after maxing kyrie and durant (or butler or harris etc)

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Its more spacing that makes them more efficient. Mitchell has been playing with a PG that is not really guarded. Having a good shooter next to him makes a huge difference. Both benefit from defenses having to respect both players. Plus both are very young so its a pretty safe assumption they will improve and get more efficient.

I dont think Snyder is suddenly going to change our whole system to be my turn your turn iso system.

Brooklyn was a winning team with him as their primary scorer and ball handler so that kind of makes him a winning player.

Excellent points.

Bear with me. Everybody should like this trade.

So we know the Nets may let Russell go. The most rumored buyers for Russell are Indy, Utah, Minnesota and Phoenix. Recently, Russell positively commented on this TWEET of him and Towns at their draft. So let's just assume Russell would want Minnesota if released by the Nets. This trade idea hinges on that. Also, please note that this trade would go into effect on July 1 when we have around $33 million in cap space after all renouncing.

Minnesota gets future 2nd rounders from Utah & Memphis

Memphis gets Teague (expiring $19 million), Exum ($9.6), #23 from Utah and a heavily protected 2021 Utah 1st

Utah gets Conley ($32.5 million), Covington ($11.3), and Saric ($3.5)

Why for Minnesota: they have to shed Teague's big $19 million expiring and more in order to make a run at Russell. In order to shed that contract, they sacrifice Covington and Saric. All things considered, Minnesota would mainly be losing Covington in order to sign Russell because Saric wasn't a player featured much in Minnesota. There is no market for Wiggins and Dieng's contract is too big for anybody to take.

Why for Memphis: they want the best value possible for Conley. Getting two 1sts and shedding a bunch of 2020-21 money is pretty enticing. They could even look to trade Teague's expiring for more value (to Charlotte, Phoenix, etc.). According to some reports, it seems like they had some interest in Exum before. If we could get a 4th team involved to take Teague for value back to Memphis, I wonder if we could keep our 2021 pick.

Why for Utah: we like Conley while Covington seems to have Jazz DNA written all over him. Covington is on a very team friendly deal for three more seasons. Saric could be a great fit for us as a stretch 4 option for either now or down the road. We lose 2 draft picks and future financial flexibility, but we stock up on talent in this deal. We might also have to waive and stretch Korver.

Just brainstorming...

Russel will not sign in Minnesota. Even if they had the room. Utah is higher up the ladder than them. In this situation, we should just sign Russell.

Memphis is shipping out a point guard to make room for their new point guard star. They aren't bringing in two new point guards with the trade

Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum are both "ball dominant" type guys. Lillard averaged 6.9 assists and CJ 3 assists last season.

Russell and Mitchell are considered "ball dominant" type guys. Without a consistent quality 2nd option like Lillard and CJ both had, Russell averaged more assists per game than Lillard and Donovan averaged more assists per game than CJ.

The whole "ball dominant" argument doesn't really concern me with regards to the potential success of Russell and Donovan.

Russel will not sign in Minnesota. Even if they had the room. Utah is higher up the ladder than them. In this situation, we should just sign Russell.

Memphis is shipping out a point guard to make room for their new point guard star. They aren't bringing in two new point guards with the trade

Russell liked and commented on a Towns tweet linking the two together in Minnesota. That's why I added "So let's just assume Russell would want Minnesota if released by the Nets. This trade idea hinges on that."

Good points about the PG's, but I think Memphis just wants value for Conley likely in the form of draft picks since they will lose a 1st to Boston soon. I could see Memphis flipping Teague to another team pretty quickly. As for Exum, I could see Memphis seeing the value in grooming him. He could play off Morant. Either way, Teague and Exum wouldn't be there to take Morant's minutes.

Anybody have more info from the Athletic?

So, part of the discussion in the front office centers on this question: How can the Jazz improve without sacrificing the man who starts at power forward and provides a tremendous security blanket to Rudy Gobert as a backup center? “Derrick Favors isn’t part of the problem,” Jazz executive Dennis Lindsey said. “He’s part of the solution. Of course we want to bring him back.”

– via The Athletic

What happens to Favors if he is forced to move on? Already, there have been rumblings of interest from the Los Angeles Lakers, where his style of play would be a nice fit with LeBron James. In fact, he projects as a fit in multiple places. He’s one of the better offensive pick-and-roll big men in the league, able to pop into space and splash jumpers or to take it to the basket and finish above the rim.

– via The Athletic

Reactions: SCS
Yeah, because Minnesota doesn't want Russell and Memphis doesn't want picks for Conley.

It's okay, I'm sure you have the solution for Minnesota to be able to create the $30 million necessary to sign Russell without giving up anything they actually don't want to give up.
I guess the real question is why you're offering up so much incredible advice to the Minnesota Timberwolves? Why, LoPo, are you being so productive for them??

Hmmm. DLo or Tobias. It's a tough one isn't it? I'm a little back and forth. I can see the question of whether two ball-dominant guards will work. It could take pressure off of Donovan or it could backfire and take away from Donovan's ability to get into a groove. Hmmm.

Someone mentioned Lillard and McCollum but aren't they both better shooters? And Lillard is clearly the leader. Would DLo or Don be the alpha? With Tobias there isn't that issue.

I guess the real question is why you're offering up so much incredible advice to the Minnesota Timberwolves? Why, LoPo, are you being so productive for them??

Even you should get this...

- Minnesota wants Russell, but they have to clear around $30 million in salaries
- Memphis wants value for Conley, but there hasn't been a reported asking price
- Utah wants Conley or Tobias or Russell or anybody to improve the team

If Russell wants Minny and not us, why not try to find a way to capitalize any way we can?

Harris was Taylor made for the jazz offensive philosophy. Him on the jazz would have the same affect on him as it did for George Hill. He’d have an even better year with the jazz than he did last year. Think about that.

Harris was Taylor made for the jazz offensive philosophy. Him on the jazz would have the same affect on him as it did for George Hill. He’d have an even better year with the jazz than he did last year. Think about that.
idk about tailor made. It would take some reprogramming. He doesnt take enough 3's and too many long 2's.

But Russell would take even more.

if minny needs to dump salary i would take Covington and or Saric off their hands in a heart beat.

With out waiving Favors the Jazz would have 17 mil in cap space with waiving favors they would get about 33 mil is that correct?
Korver is about 4 million?

I am Figuring that if the Jazz want to sign a free agent they will have to waive Favors no mater what unless they trade some one with out taking anything back

Am i correct in my spread sheet math?

if minny needs to dump salary i would take Covington and or Saric off their hands in a heart beat.

With out waiving Favors the Jazz would have 17 mil in cap space with waiving favors they would get about 33 mil is that correct?
Korver is about 4 million?

I am Figuring that if the Jazz want to sign a free agent they will have to waive Favors no mater what unless they trade some one with out taking anything back

Am i correct in my spread sheet math?

In order to get Russell, Minny has to get rid of one of these contracts:

- Teague $19 million expiring
- Dieng $16+ million the next two years
- Wiggins' $27.5 million contract

Teague is by far the easiest of those to move because it's expiring and he's not a worthless contract (he can actually still provide something). Moving just Covington and Saric doesn't move the financial needle enough. Even if they did that and waive/stretch Dieng, that only saves them $20 million when they need to shed more like $30.

I think they can use a combination of picks (#11 this year and/or future picks), Covington and Saric as assets to use to convince someone to take Teague. I don't think Saric by himself is enough. Maybe #11 and Teague is, but Minny would still have work to do to afford Russell.

In order to get Russell, Minny has to get rid of one of these contracts:

- Teague $19 million expiring
- Dieng $16+ million the next two years
- Wiggins' $27.5 million contract

Teague is by far the easiest of those to move because it's expiring and he's not a worthless contract (he can actually still provide something). Moving just Covington and Saric doesn't move the financial needle enough. Even if they did that and waive/stretch Dieng, that only saves them $20 million when they need to shed more like $30.

I think they can use a combination of picks (#11 this year and/or future picks), Covington and Saric as assets to use to convince someone to take Teague. I don't think Saric by himself is enough. Maybe #11 and Teague is, but Minny would still have work to do to afford Russell.

I would salivate over picking up Covington.

idk about tailor made. It would take some reprogramming. He doesnt take enough 3's and too many long 2's.

But Russell would take even more.

I agree it would take some reprogramming to get Tobias to fit as would it take a little adjustment from Russell.

Why would you say that Russell would take more? They take about the same number of 2 point shots per game and about the same amount of those come from 16 feet to the 3 point line. Although Russell takes 42% of his shots from 3 whereas Tobias only attempts 31% of his shots from 3. Russell seems more likely to adjust his game.