What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Anybody have more info from the Athletic?

So, part of the discussion in the front office centers on this question: How can the Jazz improve without sacrificing the man who starts at power forward and provides a tremendous security blanket to Rudy Gobert as a backup center? “Derrick Favors isn’t part of the problem,” Jazz executive Dennis Lindsey said. “He’s part of the solution. Of course we want to bring him back.”

– via The Athletic

What happens to Favors if he is forced to move on? Already, there have been rumblings of interest from the Los Angeles Lakers, where his style of play would be a nice fit with LeBron James. In fact, he projects as a fit in multiple places. He’s one of the better offensive pick-and-roll big men in the league, able to pop into space and splash jumpers or to take it to the basket and finish above the rim.

– via The Athletic

This is one of the most difficult aspects of our offseason. Favors is a really good player. But at the same time we desperately need to take a shot at improving the roster and finding a legitimate 3rd star. Financially the only way we can take a shot at improving the roster is by losing Favors. But the upgrade we may get is at the PG. So the question becomes how do we get the upgrade we're looking for without downgrading big time at PF? It's tricky because realistically if we get Conley we need Conley + a way to get a reasonable replacement at PF. If we get D'Lo we need D'Lo + a way to get a reasonable replacement at PF.

This is one of the most difficult aspects of our offseason. Favors is a really good player. But at the same time we desperately need to take a shot at improving the roster and finding a legitimate 3rd star. Financially the only way we can take a shot at improving the roster is by losing Favors. But the upgrade we may get is at the PG. So the question becomes how do we get the upgrade we're looking for without downgrading big time at PF? It's tricky because realistically if we get Conley we need Conley + a way to get a reasonable replacement at PF. If we get D'Lo we need D'Lo + a way to get a reasonable replacement at PF.
Tyler Cavanaugh doesn't send your heart pitter pattering?

If we knew Russell and Tobias were not coming here, would we take....

Teague, Saric and #11 for #23

Minnesota clears off the salary to make a run at Russell.

We get a decent PG (8+ assists per game last year), a stretch 4 with potential and move up in the draft. We could be pretty close to keeping Favors too.

Saric is a playmaking 4. He's not dynamic but he can create for himself and others. Can he return to form?

Anybody have more info from the Athletic?

So, part of the discussion in the front office centers on this question: How can the Jazz improve without sacrificing the man who starts at power forward and provides a tremendous security blanket to Rudy Gobert as a backup center? “Derrick Favors isn’t part of the problem,” Jazz executive Dennis Lindsey said. “He’s part of the solution. Of course we want to bring him back.”

– via The Athletic

What happens to Favors if he is forced to move on? Already, there have been rumblings of interest from the Los Angeles Lakers, where his style of play would be a nice fit with LeBron James. In fact, he projects as a fit in multiple places. He’s one of the better offensive pick-and-roll big men in the league, able to pop into space and splash jumpers or to take it to the basket and finish above the rim.

– via The Athletic

The Jazz — who very much want to bring him back, according to league sources — hold a team option on the final year of his contract. There’s a big hitch, however. The Jazz, according to sources, will be active on the trade and free-agent markets. To make a significant acquisition to bolster a roster that’s flatlined in the 50-win range, Favors would likely have to be released.

“It is what it is,” Favors said. “I’m not going to stress over it. I’m going to enjoy life that whole week. If I have to leave, I want to go to a contender because I want to compete at the highest level. I definitely want to go somewhere I can compete for a championship.”

Nothing earthshattering really. Just that Favors seems like a great dude and he's going to make a big step in his life by meeting his birth father.

As far as luring people, sure, but I don’t think we should change our evaluation of someone and give them a bump because they’re a buddy. Perhaps nobody’s really doing this, but maybe I’m just jaded as I’m not a big DLo guy.

I think there might be some bias there. I think DLO helps us immensely.

If we have an option between two players and it’s fairly close in how much they will both approve the team I think friendship and the good bias that it creates should be considered.

If one player is clearly better the bid for the lesser player should be ignored.

I think there might be some bias there. I think DLO helps us immensely.

If we have an option between two players and it’s fairly close in how much they will both approve the team I think friendship and the good bias that it creates should be considered.

If one player is clearly better the bid for the lesser player should be ignored.
I don’t think it’s close between Harris (or Conley) and Russell, though. The Nets wouldn’t be hunting Harris at the expense of Russell if it was.

That being said, I’d be stoked to have Russell.

I’ve been biting back on making this comment for a bit. We shouldn’t GAF about buddies. You know who Donovan doesn’t seem to be strong buddies with? Gobert, which should tell us how much we should value this.

This. Buddies. Friends. Chemistry. Wasn't that the slant last year?
Look at Toronto. Ripped buddies apart and actually won a title because of it.

Toronto cares about success not relationships it's a business.

Masai is a badass mfer... fires coach of the year... trades his second best player who is also best friends with his best player... gives the coaching job to Nurse... also Nurse deserves a ton of credit. Nurse decides they are playing with one big and moves Serge to the bench but doesn’t lose him mentally... comes in and does a great job off the pine.

What Toronto did isn’t something that can be duplicated but there are lessons in there. Sometimes you have to give up good if you want great. My biggest fear is that our front office doesn’t have the stomach for it. Even if they eff it up trying I will give them credit for trying.

Masai is a badass mfer... fires coach of the year... trades his second best player who is also best friends with his best player... gives the coaching job to Nurse... also Nurse deserves a ton of credit. Nurse decides they are playing with one big and moves Serge to the bench but doesn’t lose him mentally... comes in and does a great job off the pine.

What Toronto did isn’t something that can be duplicated but there are lessons in there. Sometimes you have to give up good if you want great. My biggest fear is that our front office doesn’t have the stomach for it. Even if they eff it up trying I will give them credit for trying.
My buddy who owns a tattoo parlor up in SLC told me that they’d serviced DL in the past couple weeks. He got “FAVORS FTW” on his upper right shoulder.

160329-houcle-32.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

If we knew Russell and Tobias were not coming here, would we take....

Teague, Saric and #11 for #23

Minnesota clears off the salary to make a run at Russell.

We get a decent PG (8+ assists per game last year), a stretch 4 with potential and move up in the draft. We could be pretty close to keeping Favors too.
**** ya we would. Doubt Minnesota would

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s close between Harris (or Conley) and Russell, though. The Nets wouldn’t be hunting Harris at the expense of Russell if it was.

That being said, I’d be stoked to have Russell.
They aren't hunting Harris at the expense of Russell though.
They are hunting Kyrie at the expense of Russell.
If Kyrie didn't plan to go to Brooklyn then they would keep Russell and still go after Harris (and KD and Butler)

I really hate to think of Favors leaving. He wants to be here and I love watching him play. I do understand this is a business and I want the Jazz to get better and win but I’d miss watching Favs if he has to go.

I think Faves will stay as I’m not convinced that we will be able to bring on another big dog.

At least he knows that he has to have a perimeter game in this day and age. It’s the exact reason I don’t see Bradley ever making an impression on this team. You can’t live inside of ten feet as a modern PF.

Bear with me. Everybody should like this trade.

So we know the Nets may let Russell go. The most rumored buyers for Russell are Indy, Utah, Minnesota and Phoenix. Recently, Russell positively commented on this TWEET of him and Towns at their draft. So let's just assume Russell would want Minnesota if released by the Nets. This trade idea hinges on that. Also, please note that this trade would go into effect on July 1 when we have around $33 million in cap space after all renouncing.

Minnesota gets future 2nd rounders from Utah & Memphis

Memphis gets Teague (expiring $19 million), Exum ($9.6), #23 from Utah and a heavily protected 2021 Utah 1st

Utah gets Conley ($32.5 million), Covington ($11.3), and Saric ($3.5)

Why for Minnesota: they have to shed Teague's big $19 million expiring and more in order to make a run at Russell. In order to shed that contract, they sacrifice Covington and Saric. All things considered, Minnesota would mainly be losing Covington in order to sign Russell because Saric wasn't a player featured much in Minnesota. There is no market for Wiggins and Dieng's contract is too big for anybody to take.

Why for Memphis: they want the best value possible for Conley. Getting two 1sts and shedding a bunch of 2020-21 money is pretty enticing. They could even look to trade Teague's expiring for more value (to Charlotte, Phoenix, etc.). According to some reports, it seems like they had some interest in Exum before. If we could get a 4th team involved to take Teague for value back to Memphis, I wonder if we could keep our 2021 pick.

Why for Utah: we like Conley while Covington seems to have Jazz DNA written all over him. Covington is on a very team friendly deal for three more seasons. Saric could be a great fit for us as a stretch 4 option for either now or down the road. We lose 2 draft picks and future financial flexibility, but we stock up on talent in this deal. We might also have to waive and stretch Korver.

Just brainstorming...
Minnie don’t do that and Saric okayed plenty.