What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

160329-houcle-32.jpg

I agree it would take some reprogramming to get Tobias to fit as would it take a little adjustment from Russell.

Why would you say that Russell would take more? They take about the same number of 2 point shots per game and about the same amount of those come from 16 feet to the 3 point line. Although Russell takes 42% of his shots from 3 whereas Tobias only attempts 31% of his shots from 3. Russell seems more likely to adjust his game.
Russell can't finish.

Like this play. Has WCS beat by a lot, all he has to do is get to a next gear and have an easy finish, but he knows he can't, so he takes an extremely tough floater.

If we knew Russell and Tobias were not coming here, would we take....

Teague, Saric and #11 for #23

Minnesota clears off the salary to make a run at Russell.

We get a decent PG (8+ assists per game last year), a stretch 4 with potential and move up in the draft. We could be pretty close to keeping Favors too.

To me the most important thing about this offseason is who can play well with Donovan. And Donovan has only tipped his hand toward one player if I'm not mistaken. I think Conley or Kemba would be great too.
Russell wouldn’t be a good fit with Donovan. And for the record, the last time Donovan got to pick a buddy, we got Grayson Allen.

Jazz fanz are always dreaming big and end up bottom scraping. Top tier FA's don't come to Utah ……… but doesn't mean Jazz haven't struck gold before. Remember when Boozer and Okur both were signed as FA's as up and coming young players .Jazz should be targeting 6'10" Harry Giles.IF WCS is resigned then Bagley3 and WCS are the starters...… Favors for Koufos ,Bjelica and Giles.
6'8" Josh Jackson has Mikal Bridges and Kelly Oubre all playing the same position. Crowder for Josh Jackson.

Jazz fanz are always dreaming big and end up bottom scraping. Top tier FA's don't come to Utah ……… but doesn't mean Jazz haven't struck gold before. Remember when Boozer and Okur both were signed as FA's as up and coming young players .Jazz should be targeting 6'10" Harry Giles.IF WCS is resigned then Bagley3 and WCS are the starters...… Favors for Koufos ,Bjelica and Giles.
6'8" Josh Jackson has Mikal Bridges and Kelly Oubre all playing the same position. Crowder for Josh Jackson.

I like the Josh Jackson idea. He's worth a shot considering the price tag to get him from Phoenix. If they want to keep Oubre, Jackson is probably available.

I don't think Giles is available.

Favors knows he may have played his last game in a Jazz uniform. He knows he could be an unrestricted free agent in less than a month. He’s at peace with it all. He will celebrate Father’s Day this weekend with his children. On Monday, he will wake up and go to his daily workout, which includes a lift, a bit of cardio and a bunch of skill work in his mission to evolve his perimeter game. “My goal when I retire is for my children to be able to look at me and be proud of me,” Favors told The Athletic. [….] “I want them to be proud that I’m their father. That’s why I’ll never be afraid to give it my all in basketball. I’ve prepared myself mentally that maybe I’ll have to be on another team and in another city. I’ve accepted that already. It’s the nature of the business that you never know what the future holds. I want to stay in Utah. But, if I have to go a different route, I have to accept that, and I have to believe in my ability.”

– via The Athletic

I personally don't think he's going to end up leaving. If we get the big free agent, great, he goes and we all understand. If we don't, I don't see us letting him go for any mid-tier free agent replacement.

Russell can't finish.

Like this play. Has WCS beat by a lot, all he has to do is get to a next gear and have an easy finish, but he knows he can't, so he takes an extremely tough floater.

Well, that is a different argument but okay. He does struggle to finish at the rim. A lot of young PGs do and it takes them time to figure it out. I think he can improve but he also isnt terrible he shoots 53% within 5 feet of the rim. Mitchell shoots 54%, so not really a big difference. I think outside of Simmons and Booker players that young that play Guard dont really shoot better at those ranges. Chris Paul, Trae Young, Rozier, Walker, CJ McCollum, Teague, and so on all shot about the same percentages within 5 feet.

He does need to learn to draw fouls better. Part of that is putting on a little more size and strength, which will happen. He is still 23 and will strengthen up. He is the same size as Harden and is pretty crafty. He also started to show the step back 3 like Harden pretty consistently towards the end of the year. I think he can learn, he has shown to be very open to coaching and teachable.

I like the Josh Jackson idea. He's worth a shot considering the price tag to get him from Phoenix. If they want to keep Oubre, Jackson is probably available.

I don't think Giles is available.
I would be happy picking up either Jackson or Oubre. Both have big upside.

Russell wouldn’t be a good fit with Donovan. And for the record, the last time Donovan got to pick a buddy, we got Grayson Allen.
I’ve been biting back on making this comment for a bit. We shouldn’t GAF about buddies. You know who Donovan doesn’t seem to be strong buddies with? Gobert, which should tell us how much we should value this.

I’ve been biting back on making this comment for a bit. We shouldn’t GAF about buddies. You know who Donovan doesn’t seem to be strong buddies with? Gobert, which should tell us how much we should value this.

Uh yes and no. I think it has some value in bringing players to a team. It’s certainly not the end all be all. But it does have value. See Kyrie and Boston.

Uh yes and no. I think it has some value in bringing players to a team. It’s certainly not the end all be all. But it does have value. See Kyrie and Boston.
As far as luring people, sure, but I don’t think we should change our evaluation of someone and give them a bump because they’re a buddy. Perhaps nobody’s really doing this, but maybe I’m just jaded as I’m not a big DLo guy.

Also, DM has come out supporting the idea that Carmelo isn’t a selfish cancer.

Also, Donovan also wasn’t buddies with Royce and Ekpe... until he was. So trust he can find new buddies.

As far as luring people, sure, but I don’t think we should change our evaluation of someone and give them a bump because they’re a buddy. Perhaps nobody’s really doing this, but maybe I’m just jaded as I’m not a big DLo guy.

I dont care about them being friends because they will play better. I care about it because it makes him more likely to sign here. But I like him and think he is a good fit. But I would also be happy with quite a few other players. I just hope we can improve the roster. Picking up a 23 year old all-star would be a big time pickup for the Jazz and sign of the direction we are heading.

I'd be happy with Conley, Tobias or D'Lo tbh. I think any of them make us better. D'Lo would probably be last on my target list because of off court stuff. I kinda worry about maturity level with him.