You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Shad, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Trade idea (though I'm not certain this is good, depends on how much Miami values Dante and savings this year vs future cap-space):

Exum and Jae for Dragic.

That should free up enough room to sign Harris to his max (after waiving Favors and Korver, might have to waive Neto as well).

It saves Miami 3 million dollars this year, which is something more than that in total savings since they're in the LT.

Would be a potentially great trade for the Jazz:

Does Dragic have one more year left? It's a pretty low cost move to get him.

After Dragic expires (next year) you can clear his cap-hold and have 23 million in cap-room left (with Royce's cap hold before signing him).

So the Jazz can reload in 2020 while still being competitive this year. Use the Room MLE to address backup PG and get someone like Cory Joseph. Still have the draft pick to use as well.

Thoughts? Do the Jazz have to add a sweetener? Seems like a win win for both sides, but it all depends on how Miami values Exum. They pride themselves on player development and love athleticism and length.

Bawse Dawg likes this.
  2. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Jun 13, 2014
    Word on the street is he has one on his back that says “My Powder is Dry AF” and there is a picture of a balance beam.

NAOS, nateboz and LoPo like this.
  3. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    From their side... I believe they are trying to be free agent players in 2020... so would be looking to get off of money for that year not add money.

I think like Korver and Jae might be enough to save some dough... I think it’d have to be expirings... don’t think Dante is worth it since it adds a bigger bottleneck in their path to cap space.

LoPo likes this.
  4. infection

infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010
    Pretty sure that powder done exploded because it was so ****ing dry.

5. Jingled

Jingled Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

May 23, 2018
    Not sure how we reload in 2020...that free agent class is pretty awful.

NUMBERICA likes this.
  6. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    You have to add Dante though to free the space for Harris, which is why the Jazz do it. Miami would still have close to max space with Dante on the books. And they could make move at some point to free up more room. And it would save them a decent amount of money this year.

Maybe the Jazz could do Jae/Korver then move Exum into another's team space who just want to add talent and has cap-space.

7. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    Fred VanVleet is UFA that year. He'd be a target.

8. LoPo

LoPo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Miami is desperate to get out of repeater luxury hell. And I don't think they want a bad 2020 contract. Just check out the quotes here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heatna...iters-trade-option-golden-state-warriors/amp/

“The Heat have reportedly been searching to offload Waiters’ $12.1 million salary to create more flexibility with the luxury tax, so Golden State might actually be able to get a draft pick in exchange for taking him into an exception"

Miami wants to avoid the luxury and have 2020 flexibility. They would probably give a lot if somebody took Waiters, Olynyk and/or Johnson.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

9. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    Well if they get off Waiters then they can do the Exum/Jae deal for Dragic and still have max space in 2020 (and save money in 2019)

That might actually be something they really like if they have to part with a draft pick to get off Waiters since Exum would give them a younger player to develop (who fits what they tend to value)

10. Douchebag K

Douchebag K Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Is Dragic washed tho or was last year just a big downer year for him ?

11. nateboz

nateboz Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    He's about 4 months away from doing those icy hot commercials. He's always hurt. Hard pass on him.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

12. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    Injured more than washed

13. SCS

SCS Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2016
    My only concern with this is we lose a lot of depth without much of a way to replenish it.

14. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    You are considering Exum to be positive value in a trade which I believe he is not. Getting off waiters deal is tough... they already owe a pick... I just see them going the other way... offloading salary for 2020 and strongly avoiding taking more salary unless it’s an awesome deal... I doubt they see Exum as too awesome to pass up.

NAOS likes this.
  15. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    He fits their type

And it saves them what, 8 million dollars? Not quite sure how the LT works for them, but it's a good amount. They can figure out how to get off the salary later.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  16. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    I
    What?

We lose no depth.

Exum goes out, Dragic comes in.

Jae goes out, Harris comes in.

17. Xthren

Xthren Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    ok i just did an interesting trade idea it could also be complete garbage

Jazz make a trade that would have to happen after free agency and the draft picks involved would have been be done for the other teams

Jazz trade

Kyle Korver
    Dante Exum
    #23 pick

To the heat for

Kelly Olynk
    Goran Dragic
    #13 pick

Jazz draft Brandon Clarke
    Waive Favors (this makes my stomach hurt)
    Sign Jabari Parker to 1 + 1 contract for 20 million (Place holder for Clarke until he is ready)
    Sign Patric Beverley 1 + 1 20 million

Dragic, Beverly, Neto
    Mitchell, O'Neale, Allen
    Ingles, Crowder
    Parker, Clarke, Niang
    Gobert, Olynyk, Bradley

Justifications -

- Miami Trade saves them a fortune and get the player they wanted the most Brandon Clarke who might be ready to start by the end of the year
    - I guess you could keep favors but with Olynyk signed it would be better to release. I would wish him the best and still cheer for him
    - Parker might not get much more then 10 mill a year offer and his offense would be welcome. I may be guessing way to low
    - Beverley gets more then the MLE to be part of a 3 headed rotation of Dragic, Mitchell and Bev. Dragic health is the biggest concern

Jazz have scoring and shooting. Defense suffers some for now but Clarke can fill that hopefully sooner then later. If Dragic stays healthy this could be a very dangerous team.

18. SCS

SCS Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Favs goes out. Rubio goes out. Korver goes out. Neto goes out. Nobody comes in. We lose 6 add 2. Even if we got a Cory Joseph for the MLE we still lack a backup 4 and wing depth.

19. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    You sign guys.

Dragic and Harris replace most of those minutes. Exum and Neto barely added depth with injuries. Allen and a very signing can take Korver minutes.

20. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    Pretty sure that trade doesn't work. Plus Jazz are never touching Parker