What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

More murmurs that Russell leaving Nets. https://www.netsdaily.com/2019/6/16...nets-close-to-a-done-deal-and-is-russell-gone

Is there any market for Exum? Could we potentially trade Exum, sign Russell AND keep Favors?

Cap space with Favors $15
Exum $9.6
Russell $27
Waive/Stretch Korver +$6 million

If we could trade Exum without bringing much salary back, it's possible right?

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Utah is going to have to include value in any trade featuring Exum right now. Dude is a negative asset at this point in time until he can play a full season at a reasonable clip. That would likely include Allen or 23 to eat the deal, albeit small. Just tough at the moment.

Utah is going to have to include value in any trade featuring Exum right now. Dude is a negative asset at this point in time until he can play a full season at a reasonable clip. That would likely include Allen or 23 to eat the deal, albeit small. Just tough at the moment.
And I wouldn't do that.

If Phoenix were smart, I think they should trade for Exum. They could draft a PG and also trade for Exum in the hopes that both players help them down the road. Phoenix has such a need for defense, it would be worth the gamble for them. They don't have much cap space, but they could take Exum's $9.6 without sending anything back.

I don't think that happens, but it be worth the shot for Phoenix.

And I wouldn't do that.

If Phoenix were smart, I think they should trade for Exum. They could draft a PG and also trade for Exum in the hopes that both players help them down the road. Phoenix has such a need for defense, it would be worth the gamble for them. They don't have much cap space, but they could take Exum's $9.6 without sending anything back.

I don't think that happens, but it be worth the shot for Phoenix.

That might work, but I don't think Lindsey would flip Exum for a second rounder. He's so damn intent on protecting Exum that he'd sooner sacrifice his first born son.

That might work, but I don't think Lindsey would flip Exum for a second rounder. He's so damn intent on protecting Exum that he'd sooner sacrifice his first born son.
Yep. Seems that way.

If we got a Conley, I see DL hoping to keep Exum due to age. If we knew Russell wanted us, maybe Exum is more expendable since Russell would clearly be the long term PG of our franchise.

Yep. Seems that way.

If we got a Conley, I see DL hoping to keep Exum due to age. If we knew Russell wanted us, maybe Exum is more expendable since Russell would clearly be the long term PG of our franchise.

Pretty much how I see it is this. Lindsey will try to get Conley as priority one through the open of FA. If Memphis won't bite at a price point he likes, he'll waive Favors, release Neto's, Rubio's, and other necessary capholds, while waiving/stretching Korver if he's going to retire. Doing so nets us $38m to play with. He'll probably make a run at Russell or Harris with that cash, shore up what he can, and call it good. If he can swing Conley, we'll have about 15m I think, which should be enough to find a stretch 4 like Mirotic.

Your original response to my post was relationships result in success and I gave you proof that Toronto sacrificed relationships for business decisions and that paid off. Masai went against the grain and hurt feelings in the process but it resulted in a championship.

There is a difference between hurt feelings for the people you have traded or fired and the relationships (and culture) of the team you keep.

Pretty much how I see it is this. Lindsey will try to get Conley as priority one through the open of FA. If Memphis won't bite at a price point he likes, he'll waive Favors, release Neto's, Rubio's, and other necessary capholds, while waiving/stretching Korver if he's going to retire. Doing so nets us $38m to play with. He'll probably make a run at Russell or Harris with that cash, shore up what he can, and call it good. If he can swing Conley, we'll have about 15m I think, which should be enough to find a stretch 4 like Mirotic.

If he prioritizes Conley over Harris and Russell, its a massive mistake.

If there is a realistic way to get Conley AND keep Favors, then maybe it's okay. But to get Conley while keeping Favors would take Exum and probably Crowder. I want to keep those 2.

Ugh.... Can the draft just get here already...

The Jazz would have interest in Russell, but only if the Nets renounce his cap hold, making him an unrestricted free agent. As a player, the Jazz like Russell. He’s a dynamic presence in pick and roll and the Jazz have one of the best PNR bigs in the league in Rudy Gobert.

– via The Athletic

This is encouraging...

We need Exum to be good till the trade deadline so we can trade his *** for any expiring in the league

We need Exum to be good till the trade deadline so we can trade his *** for any expiring in the league
But we have a tendency to want to keep our players when their value rises. We only want to trade them when their value is low.

If he prioritizes Conley over Harris and Russell, its a massive mistake.

The thing is, are we a priority for Dlo and Harris?. It's been reported that their preferred destinations are Indiana and Nets, respectively. So if we trade for Conley it's also because we did our homework and realize we have little chance of signing those free agents, as well as waiting what happens with the Nets (lots of uncertainty since we have no control)

The thing is, are we a priority for Dlo and Harris?. It's been reported that their preferred destinations are Indiana and Nets, respectively. So if we trade for Conley it's also because we did our homework and realize we have little chance of signing those free agents, as well as waiting what happens with the Nets (lots of uncertainty since we have no control)

It's also been reported that the Nets won't re-sign Russell if they get Kyrie, which is what the tea leaves are saying right now. And I think the reports were Harris was a target for Indiana, but I've read nothing on Harris targeting Indiana.

The Jazz would have interest in Russell, but only if the Nets renounce his cap hold, making him an unrestricted free agent. As a player, the Jazz like Russell. He’s a dynamic presence in pick and roll and the Jazz have one of the best PNR bigs in the league in Rudy Gobert.

– via The Athletic

This is encouraging...

. . ."one of" the best PNR men. . . Whatever.

That’s what I’ve been saying since our “give Memphis two weeks to decide” fiasco at the deadline. At least as of then, DL showed his hand about his summer feelings in those actions.

It's also been reported that the Nets won't re-sign Russell if they get Kyrie, which is what the tea leaves are saying right now. And I think the reports were Harris was a target for Indiana, but I've read nothing on Harris targeting Indiana.
Harris targeting nets and vice versa
Russell targeting Indiana and vice versa

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

There is a difference between hurt feelings for the people you have traded or fired and the relationships (and culture) of the team you keep.

Ok ?? I'm not trying to argue with you but I disagreed with your response to my original quote. Obviously it wasn't working
with DeRozan and Casey, regardless of your opinion culture and relationships change with different personnel.