What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

It's also been reported that the Nets won't re-sign Russell if they get Kyrie, which is what the tea leaves are saying right now. And I think the reports were Harris was a target for Indiana, but I've read nothing on Harris targeting Indiana.

It's Ind for Dlo and Nets for Harris. It's very likely DLo leaves but probably not for us. Harris to the Nets could if KD decides to sign elsewhere (or if the Nets sign someone else besides Kyrie). A lot of ifs, moving pieces. If you have a Conley deal on the table, do you wait on those free agents?. Pretty risky move imo

If my math is correct, we could waive+stretch Korver, trade Crowder to somebody for nothing, and have enough room to keep Favors and sign Russell. Based on DL's undying love for DedEx, I think that's more likely

If my math is correct, we could waive+stretch Korver, trade Crowder to somebody for nothing, and have enough room to keep Favors and sign Russell. Based on DL's undying love for DedEx, I think that's more likely
Here's the calculation:

1 Allen, Grayson $2,429,400.00
2 Bradley, Tony $1,962,360.00
3 Crowder, Jae $7,815,533.00
4 Exum, Dante $9,600,000.00
5 Favors, Derrick $17,650,000.00
6 Gobert, Rudy $25,008,427.00
7 Ingles, Joe $11,954,546.00
8 Korver, Kyle $1,146,666.67
9 Mitchell, Donovan $3,635,760.00
10 Neto, Raul $2,150,000.00
11 Niang, Georges $1,645,357.00
12 O'Neale, Royce $1,618,520.00
13 #23 $2,287,080.00
14 vet min cap hold $897,158.00
Total $89,800,807.67

This is with stretched Korver and accounting for our #23 pick and a min caphold to fill the roster of about 900K.

The projected salary cap is around 109M

So we will have about 19M of capspace if I'm not mistaken somehow. If you can get pure capspace for Exum, you will be at about 29M give or take... If you trade Crowder for capspace you will free up about 27M give or take. Russell's max starts at about 27.25M...

Here's the calculation:

1 Allen, Grayson $2,429,400.00
2 Bradley, Tony $1,962,360.00
3 Crowder, Jae $7,815,533.00
4 Exum, Dante $9,600,000.00
5 Favors, Derrick $17,650,000.00
6 Gobert, Rudy $25,008,427.00
7 Ingles, Joe $11,954,546.00
8 Korver, Kyle $1,146,666.67
9 Mitchell, Donovan $3,635,760.00
10 Neto, Raul $2,150,000.00
11 Niang, Georges $1,645,357.00
12 O'Neale, Royce $1,618,520.00
13 #23 $2,287,080.00
14 vet min cap hold $897,158.00
Total $89,800,807.67

This is with stretched Korver and accounting for our #23 pick and a min caphold to fill the roster of about 900K.

The projected salary cap is around 109M

So we will have about 19M of capspace if I'm not mistaken somehow. If you can get pure capspace for Exum, you will be at about 29M give or take... If you trade Crowder for capspace you will free up about 27M give or take. Russell's max starts at about 27.25M...
It's a good thought. But Dennis Lindsey won't trade anybody who meets either of this criteria:
A) Has significant investment made by Dennis into the player
B) Is a good locker room guy with "Jazz DNA" and tries hard on defense.

Crowder fits "B", thus he won't be getting traded by Dennis.

. . ."one of" the best PNR men. . . Whatever.

He was top 15 in assists per game this season. He averaged more assists per game than Irving, Lillard, Draymond, Conley and others. And he played less minutes per game than all of those guys.

Is he an elite PnR guy? No. At 22? Yes.

If Exum is good, there is no reason to trade him.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Lopo wanting to keep a pile of rocks, just cause someone called the rocks nice (here’s the point, Exum is never going to be good. We just need him to “play well enough” to convince their sorry asses that he “can play”).

This is quite the read on "deals that need to happen". https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...l-to-celtics-or-pelicans/?ftag=SPM-16-10abi8e

6. Utah lands Conley from Memphis
The Lakers are moving toward a top-seed candidate, but still, with the expected decline of the Warriors, the West is open and the Jazz are one All-Star-level piece away from being one of the serious contenders. Conley, a perfect fit next to Donovan Mitchell and with pick-and-roll partner Rudy Gobert, can be that piece. With Conley, Mitchell, Joe Ingles, Jae Crowder and Gobert, Utah would have one of the top starting lineups in the league.

For the Grizzlies, Dante Exum is the prize. It was reported he was the guy they were asking for when these two teams discussed a Conley deal at the trade deadline. Utah said no then, but it would have to reconsider now. To make deal work money wise, Utah picks up the $16.9 million team option on Derrick Favors before dealing him, then he expires next summer for Memphis. Grayson Allen and the No. 23 pick bring more youth and upside to the Grizzlies, who already own the No. 2 overall pick, where they are expected to take Conley's replace in point guard Ja Morant.

This is quite the read on "deals that need to happen". https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...l-to-celtics-or-pelicans/?ftag=SPM-16-10abi8e

6. Utah lands Conley from Memphis
The Lakers are moving toward a top-seed candidate, but still, with the expected decline of the Warriors, the West is open and the Jazz are one All-Star-level piece away from being one of the serious contenders. Conley, a perfect fit next to Donovan Mitchell and with pick-and-roll partner Rudy Gobert, can be that piece. With Conley, Mitchell, Joe Ingles, Jae Crowder and Gobert, Utah would have one of the top starting lineups in the league.

For the Grizzlies, Dante Exum is the prize. It was reported he was the guy they were asking for when these two teams discussed a Conley deal at the trade deadline. Utah said no then, but it would have to reconsider now. To make deal work money wise, Utah picks up the $16.9 million team option on Derrick Favors before dealing him, then he expires next summer for Memphis. Grayson Allen and the No. 23 pick bring more youth and upside to the Grizzlies, who already own the No. 2 overall pick, where they are expected to take Conley's replace in point guard Ja Morant.

Oof that is an overpay for Conley. That would be a bad deal for us.

IMO it makes very little sense in the Jazz trading for Conley before July 6th. We need to try to land some FAs before we think about Conley.

But it makes more sense for Memphis to deal Conley before or during the draft. So Conley might not be available when free agency begins

But it makes more sense for Memphis to deal Conley before or during the draft. So Conley might not be available when free agency begins

Conley to Detroit for Jackson, Leuer and #15 is perfection for both teams. I doubt Memphis can get a higher pick AND expirings. Detroit gets a good overpaid PG to go with their good overpaid front court.

If we were to hypothetically trade for Conley during the draft, the trade couldn't happen until July 6th anyway, correct?

From The Athletic:

The Grizzlies are intensifying talks to potentially move franchise cornerstone Mike Conley Jr., league sources told The Athletic. Memphis has been in conversations with the Jazz and Utah is a frontrunner to acquire Conley should the Grizzlies trade the point guard during draft week, league sources said.

https://theathletic.com/1026128/201...ers-for-anthony-davis-plus-more-league-notes/

Hope it goes down. The best realistic good outcome this offseason is Conley trade + operating over the cap with max exceptions to fill out the roster.

I think adding Conley makes us a contender and will improve our ability to add some other good players with exceptions in FA.