What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Why should they? If they get an offer that benefit's them they'll take it. They don't and shouldn't give a crap what a bunch of arm chair GM's think. Remember this you are 100% irrelevant to their decisions.
Of course they take an amazing offer. As a fan, with my opinion, it would be great to know where the front office stands on Exum and Favors.

All this Tony Jones speculation intrigues and annoys equally. He lifts up Favors all the time while also talking how he is in trade rumors constantly.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Its not about making this forum happy. Its about the fan base. It's about the locker room.

I guess I'm just tired of the whole Favors seesaw thing. Either lock him up for a while or move the heck on.

In one month this whole thing will be irrelevant regardless. The fan base distress is temporary and have absolutely no lasting effects. Having to go back on your word, or handcuffing yourself because of a premature commitment, certainly would have lasting implications.

In one month this whole thing will be irrelevant regardless. The fan base distress is temporary and have absolutely no lasting effects. Having to go back on your word, or handcuffing yourself because of a premature commitment, certainly would have lasting implications.
True. We will know everything in less than 2 weeks. Favors' option tells us everything.

If we are committed to Exum and Favors, our FO needs to come out and say it. I know they have said they like Favors, but if they want to end the speculation, just pick up his option.

I don't know if they have come out with anything clear on Exum either. For all we know, Memphis might have said no to Exum.

The new GM said they will be aggressive in free agency. If Exum and Favors are definitely coming back, we can't be that aggressive.

Being aggressive is just a platitude... don’t get hung up on it. I think our free agency is likely to be using the room mid level on a guy like Demarre Carroll and signing an interesting minimum guy or two.

I don’t think it’s the right call but who knows. This year I could see Favs having some value in season as centers shift around and the league is more wide open. The Favs Rudy lineup won’t be as bad offensively this year with Conley... it’s just not an ideal use of capspace. Maybe something awesome opens up... I’m skeptical.

Being aggressive is just a platitude... don’t get hung up on it. I think our free agency is likely to be using the room mid level on a guy like Demarre Carroll and signing an interesting minimum guy or two.

I don’t think it’s the right call but who knows. This year I could see Favs having some value in season as centers shift around and the league is more wide open. The Favs Rudy lineup won’t be as bad offensively this year with Conley... it’s just not an ideal use of capspace. Maybe something awesome opens up... I’m skeptical.
I think the Rudy/Gobert/Rubio issue is a lot like an alcoholic. They need that first drink in the morning to calm the withdrawal and have to drink consistently throughout the day. Then they get a prescription from their doctor for Valium and, like magic, they don’t need the morning drink to get going and are able to hold off until the evening for their heavy drinking. Now they’re not drinking at work, because they’re loaded up on benzos. That’s like the idea that Favors and Gobert is now workable because we’ve introduced something that puts some lipstick on it and disguised it a bit.

I think the Rudy/Gobert/Rubio issue is a lot like an alcoholic. They need that first drink in the morning to calm the withdrawal and have to drink consistently throughout the day. Then they get a prescription from their doctor for Valium and, like magic, they don’t need the morning drink to get going and are able to hold off until the evening for their heavy drinking. Now they’re not drinking at work, because they’re loaded up on benzos. That’s like the idea that Favors and Gobert is now workable because we’ve introduced something that puts some lipstick on it and disguised it a bit.

You lost me on that one... I think it’s a little better now... just still not ideal... FA could be bonkers. Listened to some pods and I think some of the guys that we believe are 7-10M players could be 15M players.

The Favs Rudy Ricky lineup was positive last year it’s just when you added Crowder it was wildly positive. Either way we are fine so I won’t freak out... just think there will be some interesting options we don’t pursue because they want to keep Favs.

I do think the Jazz are planning something big.

It's just pretty weird that a team who in the past had barely used 2nd rounders bought 2 extra ones in the 50's. I think they are planning on trading Exum and Bradley into cap-space so they want the extra cheap players to fill roster spots.

It's just pretty weird that a team who in the past had barely used 2nd rounders bought 2 extra ones in the 50's. I think they are planning on trading Exum and Bradley into cap-space so they want the extra cheap players to fill roster spots.

Maybe... tony Jones indicated today that we aren’t looking to trade Exum at all. Not sure the seconds is an indicator of a bigger move. Think 1-2 make the team and the others get a two way. Since we are moving on from Naz and Cavanaugh I think they were filling those spots with guys they like and wanted to have their rights.

Guys, if I understood we dont have a lot of spacecap for the free agency. But it's a soft cap so why could we don't go over the cap even if we have to pay extra taxes? The owner don't want over the cap or is it just not possible to go over the cap? I just try to understand and sorry for my englishenglish =)

Sent from my MI 9 using JazzFanz mobile app
The basic idea is that in the NBA the salary cap limits how teams can ACQUIRE players, rather than how much a team can SPEND on players. If the team is significantly below the cap, they can sign any player they want, or trade for any player they want. If they are above the cap, then they can only sign players using one of the official "exceptions" such as the mid level exception, the Bird exception, etc. There are also serious restrictions about trades put on above the cap teams, namely the salaries coming in must match pretty closely to the salaries going out. Also, if they are significantly above the cap then a team might exceed the higher level known as the luxury tax level... then the team will start having financial penalties for high team salaries.

The Jazz are in the position where they are below the cap, but not extremely far below. They are far enough below that they can trade for a player like Conley without making the salaries match and without giving up Favors. But without trading or cutting Favors they are now right at the cap. So now the options are extremely limited. They can sign Favors, but then they will basically be out of options for getting other quality players. Or they can release Favors and sign someone else (or two people) using his money.

It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the basic idea. So at this point it's an actual inability to sign players due to rules, not just a desire to not spend very much.

Reactions: SCS

That would be absolutely bold. Everything we’ve heard goes against that. Not that that means anything, obviously, and I’m inclined to believe that they’re still enamored with Exum because all their past behaviors indicate that.

But I hope you’re right.

Good old two-way Tony. First he says Jazz really like Harris and Tobias likes the Jazz. But, Tony, how would that work? You say Utah isn't moving Dante, not moving Joe. So, who's left...Gobert? You can't have it both ways, Tony. Either Utah is in on Favs and Dante, or they move both for Tobias. So what's the inside scoop...if you have any? I'm calling B.S. You're just throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks. And trying to then say you were right, whatever happens.

He said Harris has interest in Utah and vice versa but he's also said all along that the Jazz actually signing him is very unlikely because they don't have the cap space.

We will need those cheap players even if we don't ship Exum and Bradley... and Favors... and Neto...

Our rotation took a serious hit by that Conley trade and our ability to add talent took a nose-dive after we chose to use capspace to absorb Conley, thus only having the small room MLE and vet mins to add players. We have like... 7-8 playable players under contract right now and we need about as many to fill out the roster. Even if we go on a vet-min shopping spree, we would still need at least a couple draft picks to fill in roster spots.

How much does Jingles make, and are you willing to upgrade his position to win a title?
It depends on what constitutes “upgrade”, but in almost every conceivable scenario, probably not. He IS a championship piece, he’s just been asked to do way too much.

We will need those cheap players even if we don't ship Exum and Bradley... and Favors... and Neto...

Our rotation took a serious hit by that Conley trade and our ability to add talent took a nose-dive after we chose to use capspace to absorb Conley, thus only having the small room MLE and vet mins to add players. We have like... 7-8 playable players under contract right now and we need about as many to fill out the roster. Even if we go on a vet-min shopping spree, we would still need at least a couple draft picks to fill in roster spots.

15 mil. And by upgrade you mean to at least a borderline all star??

I'm sorry, I don't get what you mean?

edit: oh I think you were responding to another post. If you are asking about an upgrade for Ingles.. yeah... I don't think it's very easy to get. I think Ingles was overextended last year and that's what lead to his decreased efficiency. I think with Conley on board Ingles can slide back into a role he's more comfortable with rather than us having to rely on him to drag this team and the second unit offensively(along with Mitchell).

Last edited:

Could be. It would be nice.

Ive always thought Ingles would be a great bench 6th man type. Not sure hes a championship piece as a starter with a huge roll.

I love Joe a lot. But we have to look at every piece and be honest about it. Is he the answer, and can he be upgraded?

I'm sure the answer has been posted, but is there a way to complete the Conley trade after free agency begins, yet prior to guaranteeing the Favors contract, thus freeing up cap space between July 1-6? If so, could Exum, Bradley, Neto or whomever be traded to open up even more space?

I may be misunderstanding how it all works, but if the trade isn't finalized until later, our team is currently the same as before i.e. we still have Crowder, Allen, draft picks. If we renounce Rubio and Favors as cap holds and somehow get rid of Exum and Bradley, would that open up a significant amount of money to be used for free agents on July 1st? Then, once/if a free agent (Harris) signs, we complete the trade and we would be working over the cap or is Conley's contract too much for us to match?