What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

When was the last time our FO commented on Exum good or bad?

And what was the chatter on Exum after the Conley deal was completed? We wouldn't include Exum? Memphis did or didn't want Exum? Anything?

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

When was the last time our FO commented on Exum good or bad?

And what was the chatter on Exum after the Conley deal was completed? We wouldn't include Exum? Memphis did or didn't want Exum? Anything?

The rumor I read from a couple of different sources is the deal died because the Jazz wouldn’t include Exum. I choose not to believe that because that would reveal that our front office is suicidally stupid.

I do think the Jazz are planning something big.

It's just pretty weird that a team who in the past had barely used 2nd rounders bought 2 extra ones in the 50's. I think they are planning on trading Exum and Bradley into cap-space so they want the extra cheap players to fill roster spots.
Every indication from the FO has been and is that they really like Exum and are committed to his development. They might trade him for a big name FA but they are not dumping him for cap space. They value him more than whatever they could sign a FA this off season for his salary at. I could be wrong but the FO has never indicated anything but that they view Exum as part of their future.

If Jazz could land someone like Harris I think they might try but based on recent stuff I think Jazz might value Favors and Exum higher than Harris.

I think they might be better off keeping both and seeing how they perform this year. Then trading them if it isnt working at the trade deadline. There will be some solid players being dumped by teams tanking. Even if they are working out they might be able to land a really good player. If Exum is healthy and starts to perform like he was during the short stretch of health towards the end when things were clicking his value skyrockets. Same with Favors, if he can perform well like he did last year but with more minutes then teams will see he is healthy and he might have some real value with a team making a push. Who knows if we would want to trade them at that point.

I'm sure the answer has been posted, but is there a way to complete the Conley trade after free agency begins, yet prior to guaranteeing the Favors contract, thus freeing up cap space between July 1-6? If so, could Exum, Bradley, Neto or whomever be traded to open up even more space?

Favors' contract counts on the books anyways until you either trade him or waive his contract before his guarantee date (July 6th). So no, you cannot both have the money from Favors as if he's not on the team and have his bird rights at the same time. You can negotiate with players between July 1st and July 6th and see if any of them wants to come though... and if you think they are better option than Favors you can waive Favors before the 6th and free up the capspace to get this player or players you negotiated with before July 6th.

I may be misunderstanding how it all works, but if the trade isn't finalized until later, our team is currently the same as before i.e. we still have Crowder, Allen, draft picks. If we renounce Rubio and Favors as cap holds and somehow get rid of Exum and Bradley, would that open up a significant amount of money to be used for free agents on July 1st? Then, once/if a free agent (Harris) signs, we complete the trade and we would be working over the cap or is Conley's contract too much for us to match?
Yes, to the first part, until the Conley trade is called into the NBA offices we have Crowder and Korver and Allen and the draft picks and the capspace... If we renounce Rubio and Favors this gets us more capspace... if we trade Exum and Bradley into the capspace of some other team(without getting salary back), this gets us even more capspace.

On the second part - no. You can free up all that space you mentioned above and you still wouldn't have enough to absorb both Harris and Conley. You can absorb Harris 1st... the problem is that you won't have enough space to do the Conley trade after.

Ive always thought Ingles would be a great bench 6th man type. Not sure hes a championship piece as a starter with a huge roll.

I love Joe a lot. But we have to look at every piece and be honest about it. Is he the answer, and can he be upgraded?

There’s no need to upgrade him, but just make sure he’s like the 5th best player on your team

Im glad we have a FO that wouldnt dump a player for nothing with big potential because he has had injuries that dont effect him long term.

The upside of keeping him is a difference maker. The downside of holding on to him is missing out on a role player for his salary that would be nice to have assuming Exum contributes nothing but isnt going to be the difference between winning it all or not.

Im glad we have a FO that wouldnt dump a player for nothing with big potential because he has had injuries that dont effect him long term.

The upside of keeping him is a difference maker. The downside of holding on to him is missing out on a role player for his salary that would be nice to have assuming Exum contributes nothing but isnt going to be the difference between winning it all or not.
His salary isn’t some static slot. His salary can be the difference between a max player and something substantially less.

You can also find many more, much better players for that money.

No, the downside is losing guys like Crowder and Korver. It’s not clear if that’s certain but, if so, that’s what it’s cost us so far, plus a playoff run with Conley.

His salary isn’t some static slot. His salary can be the difference between a max player and something substantially less.

Yes, it can be. If he is traded as a part of a bigger deal for a player of that nature, great! That is another reason to hold on to him because he could be a part of a bigger deal combined with Favors or someone elses contract. Dumping him for nothing right now does not clear enough for a max player. Even if we dump everyone we dont have room for a max player so in my scenario right now that is not possible. A player at his salary is not going to be a difference maker.

No, the downside is losing guys like Crowder and Korver. It’s not clear if that’s certain but, if so, that’s what it’s cost us so far, plus a playoff run with Conley.

I dont see Crowder and a 38 year old Korver as difference makers. Crowder was a hustle guy and spot up shooter. I think we replace that with a cheap contract. I think Niang can replace Crowder since he is a better 3 point shooter, and that is mostly all he was. Or having Royce play that role, which I think he is better at as well.

As far as costing us last years playoff run with Conley I think that is incorrect. That was a blunder of Memphis GM to agree to a deal and then try to reneg on it. That isnt something to deal with, who knows if they would have just kept pushing for more after a more than fair deal was agreed on.

This Exum stuff is getting depressing.

For the sake of argument, if The Jazz FO was cleaned out tomorrow and they put in a new GM, Exum would be gone in a week. They're well into sunk cost on this kid.

As for the bigger picture - several teams are going to upgrade very soon via FA - The Jazz' position right now in the WC if far from solidified. If there is another deal to be made then they have look long and hard at making it. Jazz have a two year window before Conley gets old and Mitchell's rookie deal expires, they have to make the most of it.

Call me crazy or unrealistic, but even if Tobias doesn't want to come, I still roll the dice on waiving Favors on July 4 and hope that he clears on July 6.

If he clears and we can extend him to a long term deal at around $12 or $13, it opens up so many more opportunities to add much needed depth.

If Favors gets picked up on waivers or decides to go elsewhere, we focus on guys like Aminu, Green, Carroll and even guys like Randle. Or we could try to trade for Gallinari.

I dont see Crowder and a 38 year old Korver as difference makers. Crowder was a hustle guy and spot up shooter. I think we replace that with a cheap contract. I think Niang can replace Crowder since he is a better 3 point shooter, and that is mostly all he was. Or having Royce play that role, which I think he is better at as well.

As far as costing us last years playoff run with Conley I think that is incorrect. That was a blunder of Memphis GM to agree to a deal and then try to reneg on it. That isnt something to deal with, who knows if they would have just kept pushing for more after a more than fair deal was agreed on.
Those two would be the effect role players off the bench with Conley and both provide strong leadership. Exum may very well be completely inconsequential next season.

Call me crazy or unrealistic, but even if Tobias doesn't want to come, I still roll the dice on waiving Favors on July 4 and hope that he clears on July 6.

If he clears and we can extend him to a long term deal at around $12 or $13, it opens up so many more opportunities to add much needed depth.

If Favors gets picked up on waivers or decides to go elsewhere, we focus on guys like Aminu, Green, Carroll and even guys like Randle. Or we could try to trade for Gallinari.

I agree with this. FO can save face if they lose him by saying they wanted to keep him, just wanted to resign him to a long term contract. Its definitely a risk, but we can't afford to pay him $18 million next season

IMO dumping Exum is kind of a pipe dream.

First, if they wanted him gone they could very easily have put him in the Conley deal and I doubt it would have been a deal breaker for the Grizzlies. To me it's obvious Jazz FO wanted him to stay

Second, because of the way the protections on the pick are structured, it makes it extremely hard to use a 1st round pick in order to dump Exum or use in a trade in general. This future pick to Memphis is pretty much tied until at least 2024 and even then it's not 100% that you will ever get it.

Those two would be the effect role players off the bench with Conley and both provide strong leadership. Exum may very well be completely inconsequential next season.

He could be inconsequential. He could also make a huge difference. But again some old vets off the bench for "leadership" can be had for vet min and be just fine. They are not making a difference between winning it all or not. Crowder is not a difference maker., we can replace him with guys we have or someone for cheap. A volume 3 point shooter who shoots below league average is not that valuable. Korver is not a difference maker anymore either. Korvers best role might be coaching after he retires anyways.

Exum could be that difference or he could be improved and be the difference in trading for another all-star level player.

It would be almost impossible for him to lower his trade value next season but he could greatly improve it, even just by being healthy.

If for some reason we could sign or trade for someone really good this offseason then go for it. That seems unlikely. Its more likely to trade for someone at the deadline or that he is healthy and can be a lock down wing defender off the bench who can run the pick and roll really well.

Besides according to you we would have to pay to dump him right now.

Thankfully I think our FO and coaching staff is pretty smart and knows what we have in him and what to do with him.

He could be inconsequential. He could also make a huge difference.
Okay but why would anyone believe that? We’re five seasons in, and Exum hasn’t done anything of substance. You talk **** on real basketball players and yet you can’t stop touching yourself over the most expensive lemon I have ever seen.

You also keep talking about Exum as throw-in salary in a trade: why would anyone want to pay the amount he’s paid that can be replaced by a G-leaguer? He is negative value to anyone but dreamers.