What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Is it possible to renounce the rights to Sefolosha and Udoh and then after the Conley trade re-sign them to like the vet minimum? Sefolosha shot the ball really well last year and would provide good depth on the wing. Udoh has played really well in spot minutes. I have trouble seeing Reed or Bradley producing as well in those minutes.
I’ve been thinking about this with Sefolosha as a vet minimum player. I think that’s his market. Udoh is going to Europe though.

Who is going to put up 80% of Tobias' production for $12M - $14M ?

I think he’s talking about Niko.

I am 100% talking about Niko. The hate has gone too far... Look at his on/off numbers last two years. Most of the teams he played on were better offensively when he was on court by a wide margin and they were also better defensively.

If we did not have Conley I very much prefer Tobias because we need more creation... the creation isn't as much of an issue and I think Niko is as good or better as a spot up guy.

I am 100% talking about Niko. The hate has gone too far... Look at his on/off numbers last two years. Most of the teams he played on were better offensively when he was on court by a wide margin and they were also better defensively.

If we did not have Conley I very much prefer Tobias because we need more creation... the creation isn't as much of an issue and I think Niko is as good or better as a spot up guy.

Calling Niko 80% of Tobias Harris is pretty generous. The Jazz have twice refused to trade even a late 1st-rd pick for Niko. They're not going to give up Favors for him.

Calling Niko 80% of Tobias Harris is pretty generous. The Jazz have twice refused to trade even a late 1st-rd pick for Niko. They're not going to give up Favors for him.

Go look at the numbers and tell me I'm wrong... don't just say it's generous. The pet arguments he's a sieve defensively are exaggerated... Tobias has issues on that end too. Over the last two years Niko has played very well against teams like Houston and GS where you think he'd get played off the floor.

You can't put the ball in Niko's hand and say go get a bucket... you can with Tobias. Tobias is more durable. Tobias would be great, but we can't get him. Niko provides so much of what we want Harris to, but the narrative is so different for some reason. He had a rough year with an ankle and thumb injury plus a midseason trade. Didn't get in a rhythm in the playoffs but played at SF some of the time. Tobias also struggled with his shot in the playoffs, but its okay for him for some reason...

If he had everything and was coming off a stellar playoff run he's a max guy and we can't get him...

Also, based on the reporting we refused to put Exum in a Conley deal... so he must not be worth getting. Maybe the needs have changed and the price is now right.

Per 36

Niko - 20 pts 10 rebs 1.6 ast 44/36/85 shooting splits... TS% 58% OFF rating 115 DEF rating 109

Harris - 21 pts 8.2 rebs 2.9 ast 49/40/87 shooting splits... TS% 59.2 OFF rating 114 DEF rating 111

One guy will make 32.4M the other around 12-14M. If you like Harris you should like Niko too.

Let's do it this way... say Derrick was a top 12 starting center for the Boston Celtics and we had 17M in space... would we be clamoring to bring him in for a one year deal at 17M or looking at better uses of that space?

Per 36

Niko - 20 pts 10 rebs 1.6 ast 44/36/85 shooting splits... TS% 58% OFF rating 115 DEF rating 109

Harris - 21 pts 8.2 rebs 2.9 ast 49/40/87 shooting splits... TS% 59.2 OFF rating 114 DEF rating 111

One guy will make 32.4M the other around 12-14M. If you like Harris you should like Niko too.

Need to be careful with Per 36. According to such stats, Niang blows both out the water for his price for similar stats.

Need to be careful with Per 36. According to such stats, Niang blows both out the water for his price for similar stats.
You have to look at the whole spectrum. Anomalies fade with increasing sample size. Both guys play enough to qualify per 36 to be at least one way to compare what we’re seeing. If Niko was playing 12 mpg it would be good reason to dismiss the comparison entirely.

Last edited:

Niang played 9 minutes a night... Niko 27.1, Harris 34.7... so I was careful and its a totally rational comparison...

Career per36 over a very large sample Niko is 18/9/2 on 42/36/81...

There is no need to caveat the numbers. Niko isn't as good as Tobias with the ball in his hands and it isn't close... that is very valuable. Harris has been more durable and has more potential to improve.

Niko does better on the glass and is the better catch and shoot player imo. Both struggle on defense but it's manageable.

We need to have a rule on this site that we no longer use the silly "per 36" comparison. Unless we are talking about a bonafide starter (Donovan, Gobert, Conley, etc.), we need to use a "per 24" at the absolute most.

We could offer Niko 4/50 and agree that we can structure it how we like... either with raises or declining. It would start at either 11.6 or 13.6.

You'd have either 4.7 or 6.7M left to spend... if you find something worth spending 6.7M on you do it and set up Niko with normal 5% raises... if not you decline it by 5% and it becomes an even better value if his production stays steady.

I'm not sure what his market is but we have enough money, a good role, and he's shown interest before.

We need to have a rule on this site that we no longer use the silly "per 36" comparison. Unless we are talking about a bonafide starter (Donovan, Gobert, Conley, etc.), we need to use a "per 24" at the absolute most.
It doesn’t matter what the conversion is. It’s the same thing, whether per minute, per 24, per 36, or per 1k. They’re just multipliers.