What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

I think Mirotic is about to get exposed in this series and the next if they can make it that far. On offense, he's going to end up looking like a bigger version of Korver or Ingles. He will be a massive liability on the switch like Korver and his shooting will be snuffed out by lock down defenders.

If he can't shine this playoffs next to Giannis and Middelton, I have no reason to believe he is the answer next to Donovan. We need somebody more dynamic.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Mirotic got exposed last year against the Warriors and it seems like no one here really cared

These things really aren’t true... Niko wasn’t fantastic but he was fine against the warriors... he was terrific against the blazers who have rangey forward defenders... he had a really good first game against Boston...

Niko may not be the perfect answer but he hasn’t been exposed and anyone putting that narrative out there is guessing or just projecting something that hasn’t happened yet.

I would want to get Conley and Niko... Niko would be your 4th or 5th most important starter... put him in Crowders role... he would do fine there and live up to a 12-15M contract. If teams are game planning to “expose” him it opens up stuff for other guys... which is great.

Ingles is a better defender and better pure shooter. And yet, he was pretty much useless on offense against Houston. Mirotic is a better offensive player but not what we are lacking to progress.

If we replace Favors with Mirotic, it's a lateral move that keeps us where we are. We might improve in some areas, but not to the degree that makes a difference against the better teams.

Last edited:
Draft Ty Jerome
Trade for Dario Saric & Tyus Jones
Sign Malcom Brogdon and Jabari Parker

Brogdon, Jerome, Jones
Mitchell, O'neale, Allen
Igles, Crowder, Sefalosha
Parker, Saric, Niang
Gobert, Bradley, (Not sure)*

* There are some potential picks in the second round here
Taco Fall
Jontay Porter
Killian Tillie
Jessie Govan
Aric Holman
Filipe Dos Anjos
Sagaba Konate
Matur Maker

Last edited:
Ingles is a better defender and better pure shooter. And yet, he was pretty much useless on offense against Houston. Mirotic is a better offensive player but not what we are lacking to progress.

If we replace Favors with Mirotic, it's a lateral move that keeps us where we are. We might improve in some areas, but not to the degree that makes a difference against the better teams.

I don't know that any of that is true. Ingles shot poorly this playoffs.. he was fantastic last year. If he had shot 45% (last year) from three instead of 27% (this year) he would have been good. He put up 15/5/4 last year on 63% TS. Teams generally work to hug him on the perimeter because he plays with 3 non-shooters.

Niko gets his shot off quicker and shoots the ball from deeper range... he gets a ton of shots off and hits them at a good clip. No idea why we are comparing Ingles and Niko... I get it they are both slow white guys, but Niko would take Crowder's role and spot. He isn't like Ingles really at all. We have been great with the starting lineup minus subbing Favs for Crowder... is Niko better than Crowder? I say quite a bit better... so if teams now have to hug Niko and Ingles what else opens up?

There are two things that make a huge impact on offense... creation and shooting. While losing Favs as a backup center would really hurt... quality backup centers are among the cheapest and abundant things you can find in free agency. There are also scenarios where we could keep Favs and swap Crowder and Niko... not likely but could do the same dance we do with Jae... replace Niko there and I think we are better.

I’m off the Niko train. I feel we get more from Favors then we would Niko. I don’t want to have to lose Favors if Niko is our big signing

I’m off the Niko train. I feel we get more from Favors then we would Niko. I don’t want to have to lose Favors if Niko is our big signing
He’s not closing games for us. I’m not saying Niko would, but as much as I appreciated Favors’ contributions, there’s real opportunity cost if you’re keeping him knowing he’s sitting on the bench in the 4th. The flip side is also true of Ricky. It’d be nice to keep him, but we really need to be upgrading our closing unit.

Jazz need to focus everything on Harris. There is no better fit. He plays two positions, allows Crowder minutes still, makes the jazz more athletic and a great shooter and relief for Mitchell on offense.

I think we could get him, I still have the image of Mitchell whispering in his ear after the Jazz throttled then in I think their first meeting together. In Philadelphia he’s a small fish in the ocean, here he’s a big fish in a small pond. I think he’d thrive more here than anywhere else. I Think we have a great shot to get him.

Mitchell
O’Neale
Ingles
Harris
Gobert

He’s not closing games for us. I’m not saying Niko would, but as much as I appreciated Favors’ contributions, there’s real opportunity cost if you’re keeping him knowing he’s sitting on the bench in the 4th. The flip side is also true of Ricky. It’d be nice to keep him, but we really need to be upgrading our closing unit.
All I’m saying is I don’t want to pay Niko, and don’t want that to be our big signing.

These things really aren’t true... Niko wasn’t fantastic but he was fine against the warriors... he was terrific against the blazers who have rangey forward defenders... he had a really good first game against Boston...

Niko may not be the perfect answer but he hasn’t been exposed and anyone putting that narrative out there is guessing or just projecting something that hasn’t happened yet.

I would want to get Conley and Niko... Niko would be your 4th or 5th most important starter... put him in Crowders role... he would do fine there and live up to a 12-15M contract. If teams are game planning to “expose” him it opens up stuff for other guys... which is great.

Do you want to jettison Favors in order to do this?

I assume it’s Favors, Exum and picks for Conley and sign Niko to the full MLE.

A guy I know we had interest in and I think would be available for not much in a trade would be Kelly Olynyk. I think in some matchups he could play 4 with Rudy, but would be a different look at backup center that gives us stretch, playmaking (passing... he ain't crossing anyone up), and he is okayish on defense.

He'd give us a similar impact as Love imo, but at a price where if the matchup dictates he doesn't have to play. Kind of a nice 4/5 option that provides some nice things... could see him causing serious issues for the defenses as a ball handler in our HO actions.

Say you send Crowder and a small contract (Bradley, Neto or just use a little cap space to make up the difference) would keep us cap neutral to address other needs and give us some additional positional flexibility and a good backup. When you look at his impact on the court through on/off stuff he is a pretty nice piece. His contract is likely viewed as an overpay, but I don't think it is a big overpay and there is an argument it is very reasonable/good value.

Jazz need to focus everything on Harris. There is no better fit. He plays two positions, allows Crowder minutes still, makes the jazz more athletic and a great shooter and relief for Mitchell on offense.

I think we could get him, I still have the image of Mitchell whispering in his ear after the Jazz throttled then in I think their first meeting together. In Philadelphia he’s a small fish in the ocean, here he’s a big fish in a small pond. I think he’d thrive more here than anywhere else. I Think we have a great shot to get him.

Mitchell
O’Neale
Ingles
Harris
Gobert

The Sixers aren’t losing him.

I was a big believer in Favors/Gobert and wanted to see it healthy. I resisted Cy's belief that Quin didn't believe in the combo. Sometime starting last season, I gave this up. While I recognize that Favors had a huge year and really bailed us out countless times this year, the fact that he isn't closing games is a huge hindrance. Not moving on puts a ceiling on our ability to upgrade that closing unit.

Yeah... in an ideal world we find a way to keep Favs but the cap math is too difficult. We could have more than the MLE if we did the Conley deal to get Niko.

Middleton/Harris are definitely better options thank Niko, but they will get the max and we may be outbid by their current teams. I love Favs and he provides a lot of value, but he is a luxury we can't afford if we want to address other needs.

I was a big believer in Favors/Gobert and wanted to see it healthy. I resisted Cy's belief that Quin didn't believe in the combo. Sometime starting last season, I gave this up. While I recognize that Favors had a huge year and really bailed us out countless times this year, the fact that he isn't closing games is a huge hindrance. Not moving on puts a ceiling on our ability to upgrade that closing unit.

The thing that kinda makes me sad is that I don't know that we gave it the best chance to work. Say we had Conley instead of Ricky... then does Favs/Rudy with some stretch 4 guys mixed in work?

The thing that kinda makes me sad is that I don't know that we gave it the best chance to work. Say we had Conley instead of Ricky... then does Favs/Rudy with some stretch 4 guys mixed in work?
Well, had we been willing to part with The Golden Goose, we would have been able to see that. As it stands, Conley and Favors are now mutually exclusive.

Well, had we been willing to part with The Golden Goose, we would have been able to see that. As it stands, Conley and Favors are now mutually exclusive.

I think that was the narrative but that it wasn't true. I think Memphis said they wanted Exum and the Jazz resisted, but I don't think it was Memphis saying "this is a done deal if you put Exum in". I think it was them just moving the goal post and that if we said yes that they likely move it again or use it as leverage to get more from another team.

If Exum was really the hangup then that will be the biggest blemish on DL's record imo. Pre-injury I didn't think exum had that much value given his contract.

Yeah... in an ideal world we find a way to keep Favs but the cap math is too difficult. We could have more than the MLE if we did the Conley deal to get Niko.

Middleton/Harris are definitely better options thank Niko, but they will get the max and we may be outbid by their current teams. I love Favs and he provides a lot of value, but he is a luxury we can't afford if we want to address other needs.

This goes against my better judgment but what if we ran it back with the same core?

A 1+1 with Rubio.

Retain Faves. (And hire the world’s best shooting coach to work with him 2 hours every day).

Renounce Udoh.

Renounce Sef

Knowing how pissed off our guys are at having been bounced in five in the first round, and how unhealthy Mitchell was for a month or two at the beginning of the season, and what Rudy said in his exit interviews.

Convince Korver to stay one more year...hear me out.

We gotta win at least 53 games with that squad, right? 55 seems very possible based on what I said which would put us with a good seed too.

Knowing that, why not run it back? By retaining these guys, it continues the chemistry and then gives us salaries (Rubio, Favors, Korver, Exum) to use in a trade to really upgrade before the deadline.

Moreover, if we signed Sef to a one year deal, wouldn’t we be over the cap, and therefore have the BAE to use?

Mitchell
O’Neale
Ingles
Harris
Gobert

I like the idea of getting harris it will be tough to convince him leave philly. although he has said that he could play in Utah. I keep going back and forth on Harris or Brogdon. Milwaukee will be in salary hell after they sign Middleton and Brogdon might be easier to get. (they signed Bledsoe to an extension)

Something that doesn't get talked about enough is that the Jazz have yet to figure out a sure-fire best 5-man lineup. So many of our players are good in certain contexts and not others. We need a real starting/closing lineup.