What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Foolishly trading picks for Gerald Wallace was inexcusable. They started to suck and had no picks to make up for it.

This is different. Certain teams like the Knicks, Suns, Cavs and Bulls have their picks. All four teams actually seem to attempt to be building their teams wisely and they have talent. The Knicks drafted three young guys last year who contributed and have others like Smith and Dotson too. Barrett and one (or two) big FA would do wonders there. The Suns have Booker and Ayton and showed some signs of improving the last couple months. Zion would’ve been perfect there. The Bulls have Lauri, Lavine, Carter, and some other youngsters to try to build around. One stud would’ve expedited the process.

These teams are not train wrecks and are running well right now for the most part. Heck even the Kings are too. Most teams have picked up on how to be prudent with available cap money and make smarter moves than they have in the past. And since the NBA is a sport where 1-2 studs ona team means a winning culture for years, it also means ones with no studs could struggle, especially in the West which is brutal. Some teams win a lot, some win and lose fairly equally, some lose a ton. Those who lose a ton lose for the most part because they lack the talent to succeed. The Pels weren’t one of those teams. They aren’t good. But they’re not a bottom dweller and didn’t deserve the pick.

I stopped reading after you called the Bulls, Knicks, Cavs, and Suns wise.

At some point, we have to realize who we are. Through a lack of talent, we have persevered due to the chemistry and heart of the team. Throwing away guys like Thabo and Udoh are understandable. They are overpaid and past it. Rubio is tough because we love him for being such a great guy and teammate. Much can be said for Favors.

We can get Conley without having to dump Favors, Rubio, Thabo, Udoh AND Crowder. At some point, we have to show respect to some guys who love wearing our jersey.

I am 100% in your corner on this one! What you have said makes great sense and keeps our team more than competitive along with adding Rivers and Winslow could put us in the 55-60 win category!

More on the Memphis situation... they don't have to trade Conley but should be highly motivated to do so for reasons I've already outlined... another quirk is Delon Wright. If they take Morant and want to retain Wright how are they going to make that work with Conley. Mike can play with either guy but one of those guys is a backup until someone is moved. They could just match on Wright and figure it out later, but keeping Wright, Conley and waiving Bradley puts them inches away from the tax. If they move to or near the floor they save $25M - $30M next year. Is Conley going to push gate receipts by $20M or more? not likely.

I also saw that JV mentioned he may not pick up his option if they trade Conley... I'm not 100% sure they want to pay him $18M next year. I'm really sure he won't make that amount back next year if he declines the option... not crazy but I think he'd regret it.

I'm guessing based on this comment that if they could get off Exum's money they'd do it. Put him in the Conley trade... move on.

I'm guessing based on this comment that if they could get off Exum's money they'd do it. Put him in the Conley trade... move on.

Super confused about this tweet and the “Jazz are super duper excited for Dante Exum to be super duper important next year!!1” tweet from a few days ago.

But I’ll take it.

It would be nice if our front office had the foresight that 80% of reasonable people on a message board have, and had gotten this done at the trade deadline back when Exum wasn’t quite a completely negative asset.

It would be nice if our front office had the foresight that 80% of reasonable people on a message board have, and had gotten this done at the trade deadline back when Exum wasn’t quite a completely negative asset.
I wanna quibble for a second:

“They’ve given up on him having an impact one way or another”? He has an impact. A demonstrably negative one on the court and on the market.

Sorry everyone. I’ll be done when this cursed being is.

Last edited:
What listen to you and other people that don't understand basketball. Why would they do that

Athleticism isn't a skill. Height isn't a skill. In his case, his athleticism actually hides his lack of skill, it doesn't demonstrate that he has it.

I am having an extremely difficult time thinking of a player that made a second-contract on this team that has shown less skill than Dante Exum.
U have no idea. He's the only player in the team that can involve the bigs

This completely contradicts everything he's been saying.

Know how to live without him? Well duh we've had to. Moved on from him? Since when?

What listen to you and other people that don't understand basketball. Why would they do that
tenor.gif