You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Shad, Apr 18, 2019.

1. stitches

stitches Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2014
    I just am sick of this whole charade. And I wanted us to trade for Conley... just the more and more I think about it, the more flawed this process seems to me.

I want a long-term solution and we have the money to do it now. Just go all out at some of the free agents. Whoever you like best throw the kitchen sink at him and get him to be part of the long-term plan for this team rather than just a rental... be it Russell or Brogdon or Kemba or... whoever they like best... just get it done. Or hell... if you love some of the PGs in the draft throw the kitchen sink at that and get a cheap bridge PG in the meantime.

2. DasJazz

DasJazz Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'd start with Kemba and if it looks like it won't happen, front load a contract for Russell.

3. Bawse Dawg

Bawse Dawg Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Has anyone done the numbers if we can open the spot for Harris, and then absorb Conley's contract? Can we make the money work?

I am on board for that being our team going into the next phase of whatever this is.

4. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Jun 13, 2014
    I mean they liked Hill and Exum and Burke long term... those haven’t worked.

I’d prefer to get a long term solution too but Kemba likely has better options and Brogdon and Russell are under team control... outside of Morant the pgs in the draft look like ***... Garland looks promising but he goes top 6 and he might be *** too.

I’d rather have a couple years of Conley than overpay for Rozier or some other super average option...

The best long term solution that we can control is playing DM there... sign Tobias and that works... that’s plan A. Plan B for me is Conley.

Ellis269 likes this.
  5. stitches

stitches Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Yeah, if they think Mitchell can play PG, I'm good with that... relocate the money for another non-PG and non-C position then. Get the best player you can get. Doesn't have to be a PG.

Handlogten's Heros likes this.
  6. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    We can’t absorb Conley after signing Harris but we could trade Crowder, Exum, Korver, Bradley, and maybe Allen or whoever we pick this year and have enough salary to match... it has to be in that order though... can’t trade for Conley then sign Harris.

Jones and Larsen have said we can’t... we can if we did It in that order... it is very unlikely and part of the appeal for Harris is not being the 3rd or 4th option... so he may not be all that pleased.

7. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    Exactly... that was my thought mid season but watching playoffs I’d prefer to have another great ball handler creator next to DM... getting Harris long term and for just cap space is too good to pass on... long term that’s the best answer.

Ellis269 likes this.
  8. Bawse Dawg

Bawse Dawg Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Still plenty of shots for Harris, Conley is a share the love guy, he'd be a perfect PG for that team.

Super unlikely, and there is so much that would have to happen but

Conley
    Mitchell
    Ingles
    Harris
    Gobert

is such an awesome lineup. Bench would be pretty weak at that point, but there are ways to fill it out. And Royce would be a huge and versatile piece on that team.

colton likes this.
  9. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I would still try and get Conley if you think Kemba and Harris are pipe dreams. If he decides to term his contract after one year? Fine, we suddenly have an additional $34M in cap space for next year to try something again.

There’s nothing that tells me that this team can win without doing something that carries a leap of faith. You have to be risk averse or you’ll simply be in the peloton forever.

Jingled likes this.
  10. David Stern

David Stern Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I'd start Royce and bring Ingles off the bench. Joe is a perfect sixth man in my mind.

Ellis269 likes this.
  11. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    Listening to a dude in Memphis talk... they love Mike and he was like "ehhhh if all they can get is a first and some cap relief then nah just keep him and he can mentor Ja"

I think it'd be so short sighted for them to keep him around... not to mention you basically wasted 3 years of the dudes prime. If that were to happen then he opts out we could always sign him next year I guess.

Anyway, while some of us ponder whether it is worth it to use a pick for him... they are like nah a pick for Mike isn't enough... I think that is how you know it is likely a fair swap... both sides are iffy on the deal.

12. Stoked

Stoked Well-Known Member Contributor 2018 Award Winner

Dec 13, 2011
    In a less discussed aspect of this offseason.

Tony Jones, spitballing on twitter, mentioned Trevor Ariza as a player to keep an eye on of the Jazz land a big name free agent. This was not based on any news or rumors.

He would help to replenish the depth and bench of the Jazz.

What other players would y’all like to see signed to round out the bench/rotation?

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 3:53 PM
  13. Jazz4ever

Jazz4ever Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    His prime is over. He'll still be good next year, but it could get bad after that.

LoPo and Ellis269 like this.
  14. Greasy84

Greasy84 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2014
    ^^^
    If I was GM, I would gather all the statistics I could get my hands on that show the effectiveness of 6'1" players after they hit 32. I'd factor that into my valuation for sure.

LoPo likes this.
  15. TheStormofWar

TheStormofWar Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    TJ was spitballing on that, no reporting or rumor. Ariza could be a good fit for the right contract, but I don't think it's likely. If Utah releases their capholds and Favors, they are literally going all-in on someone.

Stoked likes this.
  16. Stoked

Stoked Well-Known Member Contributor 2018 Award Winner

Dec 13, 2011
    Yes, correct. I’ll edit to make that more clear.

17. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    I'm cool with that, but I think he is out of our price range if we use our cap space or trade for Conley... I think Tony used him as an example of a guy we could get for the room exception of $4.5M... I think he easily gets more than that.

Potential minimum dudes... Demarre Carroll, Jared Dudley, Ryan Anderson (once he is bought out), Vince Carter (old AF but still effective in spot minutes), Wayne Selden, Ish Smith, Jerebko (doubt he'd come back), Garrett Temple, ALEX CARUSO!, Omri Casspi, Luol Deng, Anthony Tolliver, Khem Birch, Furkan Korkmaz, Jake Layman (may get more), Jeremy Lin, Sam Dekker (he prolly sux but I still keep thinking if he can just learn to shoot).

there are also a lot of guys just a tier up from these dudes that I like... One name that would help with our PG stuff is Rodney McGruder... think he could be had for room exception and help with both guard positions... not sexy... just solid.

18. Ellis269

Ellis269 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    For depth, DeMarre Carroll, Jeremy Lin and Furkan Korkmaz all look like good roll of the dice players. Wouldn’t want to look at any of them until every effort to bring in another star has been exhausted though.

19. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    All those are minimum type guys.

20. Ellis269

Ellis269 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    That’s what I was commenting on. Could see Carroll or Lin carving out an exception or part of one somewhere. Just think they’d be great additions.

LoPo likes this.