What's new

Zach Lowe Haad Some Nice Things to Say About...

Gordon Hayward is such a talented gamer. He's a guy I'd like to have in my Dota 2 team.

Gobert at some point was predicted to be the #1 pick by dx very early in the 2013 process and midway thru.

Still, quite a draft-day steal by Lindsey. And he told us all before the draft he was going to take Gobert. Well, not in so many words, but it was pretty evident when he spoke about an international player everyone else was sleeping on who he meant. After so many drafts under the direction of "Stonewall" O'Connor, I remember being absolutely SHOCKED our GM would let us in on the secret. Then I wondered if it wasn't just a big bluff.

Oh okay ;)

Yeah his physical projection was pretty massive given how mobile he is. Then his skill development didn't come along as rapidly as they hoped and he struggled adapting to pro player bodies and now that his physical development is coming along he's much more comfortable defending the paint.

Will be interesting to see how big of an opportunity he can earn this season.

just needs to learn how to hold on to the ball. 'hey, fella, that's not what a 'soft touch' is....' I still like him, and hope that he becomes a major part of going forward. neat that folks thought he had top five potential at one time or another.

Still, quite a draft-day steal by Lindsey. And he told us all before the draft he was going to take Gobert. Well, not in so many words, but it was pretty evident when he spoke about an international player everyone else was sleeping on who he meant. After so many drafts under the direction of "Stonewall" O'Connor, I remember being absolutely SHOCKED our GM would let us in on the secret. Then I wondered if it wasn't just a big bluff.

A bit of revisionist history here. The Jazz got Gobert merely as a value pick at #27. If DL was that high on him would have not done the Burke trade and taken him either 14 or 21.

A bit of revisionist history here. The Jazz got Gobert merely as a value pick at #27. If DL was that high on him would have not done the Burke trade and taken him either 14 or 21.

DL is not going to waste a higher pick if he believes he is falling further. And DL had a hierarchy of needs and PG was clearly a priority. So the Burke trade tells us nothing about how DL felt about Gobert.

Not revisionist at all. Go back and read pre-draft reports. Lindsey talked about a "sleeper" who was an international player. That was when I started to look at Gobert more closely. Jazz probably would have taken him at #21. But a) Minnesota was willing to trade their pick; b) Burke was projected to go higher and fell and c) Utah's greatest need was a PG. So, as silesian said, DL goes for the player who can come in and be an immediate starter...a legit top-10 pick at the time.

Having lost the 21st pick, Lindsey then made a trade to acquire the 27th from Denver. Would he have made that same trade had Gobert been off the board? Judging from the picks right after #27, we can be thankful Gobert was still there and Dennis was able to get him.

Maybe you could argue Lindsey was referring to Dieng, Karasev or even Noguiera as the underrated international player. I think he was talking about Gobert.

I recall hearing DL say the next day after the draft that we had planned on taking Gobert at #21 in the first place. Then we traded up so he was off the board. DL liked him enough that he convinced management to 'go get him' and the rest is history. What could we have picked with 14 that would have been better than Trey Burke? Not much. DL turns $1.00 into $1.25 every time he breaths.

Cool! Sounds like Gobert is ready to roll!

So who's the crappy vet we can play ahead of him to drive jazzfanz crazy? Can't wait to see posters like stoked and lunatic wolf regurgitate Locke's vomit as to why Gobert barely gets any burn this next year.

I recall hearing DL say the next day after the draft that we had planned on taking Gobert at #21 in the first place. Then we traded up so he was off the board. DL liked him enough that he convinced management to 'go get him' and the rest is history. What could we have picked with 14 that would have been better than Trey Burke? Not much. DL turns $1.00 into $1.25 every time he breaths.

Antetokuonmpo and Gobert > Burke and Gobert