What's new

Zach Lowe: Paul George would love to play with Gordon Hayward

Jazz need to go all-in RIGHT NOW. There is no alternative. Either scrap to contention or blow it and start over (to some degree [I don't like this option, but I prefer it to the purgatory of the treadmill]).

With regard to acquiring PG, I wouldn't throw everything at a guy who is a serious threat to be a rental, but if we're talking Zingis or even Love? Make moves to keep Hayward here and figure out the rest.

Here's my conspiracy theory:

Hayward, George, and Hill have talked about playing together. Hayward and Hill, who have a strong relationship, have told George about the merits of playing under Snyder and with Gobert. They know the Jazz don't have the assets to acquire George outright, so George's camp leaks out the desire to go to Los Angeles in the summer of 2018, significantly lowering other teams' willingness to give up assets for him, as well as lowering the cost of entry for the Jazz.

Pipe dream, probably, and I'm not sure how it might work in terms of money and cap space. But I could see it happening.

There is only one team Hill, Hayward, and PG could play together. For whatever that is worth.

Exum is not a bust and is 3 years younger than Hood. Exum has shown already he is a better driver, better passer and a better defender than Hood. Hood laid an egg in the playoffs shooting threes, I would not call that a proven 3 point threat.

lol. Look at all the stats you want Exum is a bust. He is no better defender than Hood, who are you kidding? He has quicker first step and is better passer that's it - for 5th pick he is a bust, sorry. So Hood did not shot 3's well in his first playoffs - does not mean he is bad shooter. He is 100x better shooter than Exum will ever be. BTW, do you remember how Hayward was shooting in his first playoffs? May want to check that out.

Here's my conspiracy theory:

Hayward, George, and Hill have talked about playing together. Hayward and Hill, who have a strong relationship, have told George about the merits of playing under Snyder and with Gobert. They know the Jazz don't have the assets to acquire George outright, so George's camp leaks out the desire to go to Los Angeles in the summer of 2018, significantly lowering other teams' willingness to give up assets for him, as well as lowering the cost of entry for the Jazz.

Pipe dream, probably, and I'm not sure how it might work in terms of money and cap space. But I could see it happening.

See if they don't all end up in LA.

An interesting lineup vs the warriors for a stretch would be:
Hill
Hood or ingles (or a healthy Burks! )
Hayward or jj
JJ or hayward
Love

Give em a taste of their own medicine.

lol. Look at all the stats you want Exum is a bust. He is no better defender than Hood, who are you kidding? He has quicker first step and is better passer that's it - for 5th pick he is a bust, sorry. So Hood did not shot 3's well in his first playoffs - does not mean he is bad shooter. He is 100x better shooter than Exum will ever be. BTW, do you remember how Hayward was shooting in his first playoffs? May want to check that out.
Exum and Hood shot the same from 3 point and post all star break through the playoffs. I expect Exum to improve. He is the same age as when Hood was in college.

Clearly you didn't pay attention to Exum post all star of you think he isnt better than Hood in defense. Also Hood could only shoot threes this year at an okay rate, he did little else on offense. His 2 point percentage was awful.

Good thing is I don't need to defend Exum. He will prove himself. So people can keep hating him and look foolish later or get on board.

So I'm seeing Marc Stein report the Clippers, Rockets, Cavs, Wizards, and Lakers are discussing Paul George... We can beat all of them as far as what we are offering.

Indiana won't want Love so they need a third team anyway.

Send Hood to a third team (Detroit Charlotte) and take on a little salary if need be to get a late lotto pick... then send Lyles, Favs, and the better of our pick or the OKC pick next year. We still have picks, we still have upside in Exum, and I just can't see Hayward or Hill walking away from what we'd have.

If Cleveland wants to send Love we route the same package to Indiana. DL now is the time damnit. We have to make a big move and the cost is high, but reasonable.

Exum and Hood shot the same from 3 point and post all star break through the playoffs. I expect Exum to improve. He is the same age as when Hood was in college.

Clearly you didn't pay attention to Exum post all star of you think he isnt better than Hood in defense. Also Hood could only shoot threes this year at an okay rate, he did little else on offense. His 2 point percentage was awful.

Good thing is I don't need to defend Exum. He will prove himself. So people can keep hating him and look foolish later or get on board.

In Hood's defense he was hurt... counterpoint... Hood is always hurt.

An interesting lineup vs the warriors for a stretch would be:
Hill
Hood or ingles (or a healthy Burks! )
Hayward or jj
JJ or hayward
Love

Give em a taste of their own medicine.

Love got destroyed by them and would get destroyed again.

Love got destroyed by them and would get destroyed again.
Love actually played pretty well against them from what I remember.
D will, korver, tristan, shumpert, jefferson and all the rest of their role players sure did suck *** though.

Last edited:

Sure. Lets revisit this in couple years when Exum will be no longer with Jazz.

Love actually played pretty well against them from what I remember.
D will, korver, tristan, shumpert, jefferson and all the rest of their role players sure did suck *** though.
Nah I double checked.
16 points, 11 rebounds, and 39% field goal percentage.
Not very good.

It is absolutely critical to remember that Love changed his body, style of play, and place in the pecking order in fundamental ways in order to play with two other guys that totally dominate the ball. In other words, Love is BOTH the player we see on the Cavs AND (to some degree) the player that was an undisputed franchise player on the Wolves.

I think the fit here would be great. I see him bulking and playing backup 5 as well.