What's new

2015 NBA Draft Lottery

I have a friend who is close with Greg Miller. He says that he's been told there is already a deal in place for this pick. The more I think about it. I think its David Lee and Harrison Barnes for the 12. Who knows though?

Doubt we would overpay for Barnes... he would spell the end of flexibility going forward. I just don't think it's the Jazz's style to do something like that.

I have a friend who is close with Greg Miller. He says that he's been told there is already a deal in place for this pick. The more I think about it. I think its David Lee and Harrison Barnes for the 12. Who knows though?

Your friend is full of smurfberries.

Let's not get started with the Lee/Barnes stuff again. That idea is so far from feasibility it's not worth discussing.

I wonder what that trade could be. Looking around the league it's really difficult for me to find a trade which we receive a good player worth giving up the 12th pick and at the same time having another team willing to give up on that player.

As an example, Damian Lillard would be worth giving up the 12th pick for BUT no way is POR willing to give him up. On the flip side a player like Olynyk BOS might be happy to give to us but I think we could get a better player with the 12th pick.

It would have to be a perfect match is what I'm saying.

I wonder what that trade could be. Looking around the league it's really difficult for me to find a trade which we receive a good player worth giving up the 12th pick and at the same time having another team willing to give up on that player.

As an example, Damian Lillard would be worth giving up the 12th pick for BUT no way is POR willing to give him up. On the flip side a player like Olynyk BOS might be happy to give to us but I think we could get a better player with the 12th pick.

It would have to be a perfect match is what I'm saying.

It would be similar to what San Antonio and Indiana did a few years back.

George Hill for #15.

Pacers get a starting PG and Spurs get their guy in Kawhi who fell in the draft.

It would be similar to what San Antonio and Indiana did a few years back.

George Hill for #15.

Pacers get a starting PG and Spurs get their guy in Kawhi who fell in the draft.

Exactly. You're almost paying market price for George Hill, but with the pick that player could rise above expectations and turn into a star.

It's a tough call to make for sure. The way DL values his picks, that player we get in return has to be more than just a solid starter.

Exactly. You're almost paying market price for George Hill, but with the pick that player could rise above expectations and turn into a star.

It's a tough call to make for sure. The way DL values his picks, that player we get in return has to be more than just a solid starter.

I'm with you though, I really need to think about who would make sense as a trade for #12.

I'm with you though, I really need to think about who would make sense as a trade for #12.

It's really hard isn't it????? Also don't forget that you have to rule out all the RFAs... that makes it extra tough.

Like Khris Middleton would make sense for both teams (solid player with upside, not yet a star). But then again he's a RFAs...

Lowry, Lawson, Hill.....Doesn't have to be straight up for the 12, either. Lots of possibilities. I'd be skeptical that a deal is already in place, though. You never know who might fall to 12, or which teams might decide to trade down, and that goes both ways. Whoever the deal is supposed to be with would have no reason to commit now before they see how things play out also. If there really was a deal in place, assuming nothing big comes along for either side, my money would be on a replacement for Trey.

Maybe there's a deal in place to move up? 12 + whatever for Porz/Hezonja. Now we're talkin'.

This is what I see happening. I believe Jazz have planned to move up for one of those 2. They seem like team assets rather than 1 man shows.

Thing is look at all the assets and pieces that the Jazz have to make something work:

8.1 million in tradeable ocntracts (Booker, Millsap, Cotton, Cooley and Johnson)
3 foreign players rights (Tomic, Pleiss, Neto)
This years 12th and 2 2nd rounders
4 1st rounders in the next 2 years
About another 6 2nd rounders next 2 years
Burke
10-12 million in cap space

DL stacked the deck as much as he could to be able to consider everything. I expect something to happen to be honest. FA signing, trade, draft pick shuffle..something.

From Andy Larsen, Lindsey's comments after the lottery....

"There are going to be players there that we like, but we're going to have to decide, 'Can we develop that many players on a simultaneous basis?’ ” -Dennis Lindsey, Utah Jazz GM

Also...

With a young roster, it's possible the Jazz look to trade the pick for more veteran help rather than adding another young player on the roster. When asked about what kind of offer the Jazz would have to receive in order to trade the pick, Lindsey said, "It's going to have to be a good one. There were a couple of teams who chased it at the deadline, and others have registered their interest. Frankly, having a contributor on a rookie deal, that's going to allow you to allocate assets elsewhere."

Link. https://www.ksl.com/?sid=34716557&nid=294&title=jazz-stay-in-no-12-slot-after-nba-draft-lottery

It's really hard isn't it????? Also don't forget that you have to rule out all the RFAs... that makes it extra tough.

Like Khris Middleton would make sense for both teams (solid player with upside, not yet a star). But then again he's a RFAs...

It makes sense for the Bucks to trade Khris Middleton?

Lindsey really doing a good job of sending mixed messages about possible actions while staying fastened to long term goals and core values. I like him.

My gut feel is the Jazz draft 12, and offer cap relief for assets--GS has both assets and extra salary. I hope they come up just short of the title so it tempts them to bulk up for the next season.

Lindsey's recent introduction of "taking care of the ball" as a talking point has me wondering what action he has planned.

Last edited:
Lindsey really doing a good job of sending mixed messages about possible actions while staying fastened to long term goals and core values. I like him.

My gut feel is the Jazz draft 12, and offer cap relief for assets.

This recent introduction of "taking care of the ball" as a talking point has me wondering what action he has planned.

I really hope not. I hope that they get players that will push and help the core that we have. Time for endless asset accumulation has passed. Time to push for the playoffs.

"Asset accumulation mode" can be played one more time. And, I think there are some cap-relief deals out there that can help us move closer to the playoffs.