What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

Knicks sign Undrafted Trier. Now, they will need to move some salary to make max money available. I hope we are monitoring the availability of Hardaway, Dotson and Ntilikina.

"The cap space for New York in 2019-20 now projects to be $29.5M after the Allonzo Trier signing ($3.55M cap hit). The room takes into account: 1) All free agent cap holds renounced except for Kristaps Porzingis 2) Waiving the non-guaranteed contract of Lance Thomas 3) Their own first round pick. The projected max for a player with 7-9 years of service like Kyrie Irving is $32.7M and for 10+ years like Kevin Durant $38.15M."

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Knicks sign Undrafted Trier. Now, they will need to move some salary to make max money available. I hope we are monitoring the availability of Hardaway, Dotson and Ntilikina.

"The cap space for New York in 2019-20 now projects to be $29.5M after the Allonzo Trier signing ($3.55M cap hit). The room takes into account: 1) All free agent cap holds renounced except for Kristaps Porzingis 2) Waiving the non-guaranteed contract of Lance Thomas 3) Their own first round pick. The projected max for a player with 7-9 years of service like Kyrie Irving is $32.7M and for 10+ years like Kevin Durant $38.15M."

I'm open to the idea of Hardaway, he could potentially be a good compliment to Mitchell/Exum. His contract is really hefty though; not sure he's worth it, or the best fit for the money.

However, if there's a way to convince them to dump some players in order to clear some space for Durant/Irving/etc. then that's a little more compelling.
1, on the off chance Durant goes there, that's a huge blow to GS and one less MVP in the west. 2, I seriously doubt any of these mega teams in LA, Clippers, NY, etc come to fruition, so if we can wet our beaks before then, why not?

I'm open to the idea of Hardaway, he could potentially be a good compliment to Mitchell/Exum. His contract is really hefty though; not sure he's worth it, or the best fit for the money.

However, if there's a way to convince them to dump some players in order to clear some space for Durant/Irving/etc. then that's a little more compelling.
1, on the off chance Durant goes there, that's a huge blow to GS and one less MVP in the west. 2, I seriously doubt any of these mega teams in LA, Clippers, NY, etc come to fruition, so if we can wet our beaks before then, why not?
I like Hardaway and I like Ntilikina. I think Mitchell would be ecstatic if we got Frank.

If I'm NY, I try to trade Frank and Hardaway for expirings and draft compensation. They need to dump Lee too if they can. It is conceivable that they pursue KD and Kemba to go with KP and somebody like Zion. They would have Dotson, Trier and Knox too.

The Knicks are very, very fascinating right now. For the first time in a long time, they seem to be on the right path.

I like Hardaway and I like Ntilikina. I think Mitchell would be ecstatic if we got Frank.

If I'm NY, I try to trade Frank and Hardaway for expirings and draft compensation. They need to dump Lee too if they can. It is conceivable that they pursue KD and Kemba to go with KP and somebody like Zion. They would have Dotson, Trier and Knox too.

The Knicks are very, very fascinating right now. For the first time in a long time, they seem to be on the right path.

They can't carve out enough to get both KD, Kemba, and retain KP's caphold. They would have to gut knox and likely their pick too. Need $72M in space... cap is $109 KP caphold is like $17M... keeping Knox and the pick is like 9.5M on the low end. Noah waive and stretch is 6.3M so that is $104-105M... seven capholds is another 6.3M

They'd have to go down to nothing... if the land a top 3 pick it gets even harder.

I brought up Hardaway originally and he has been pretty bad since then. I would probably do a straight expirings for Hardaway and Frank... but that's all they get... no draft compensation.

I would hope to be able to move Dante if we did that move so we can still have some space to play with.

They can't carve out enough to get both KD, Kemba, and retain KP's caphold. They would have to gut knox and likely their pick too. Need $72M in space... cap is $109 KP caphold is like $17M... keeping Knox and the pick is like 9.5M on the low end. Noah waive and stretch is 6.3M so that is $104-105M... seven capholds is another 6.3M

They'd have to go down to nothing... if the land a top 3 pick it gets even harder.
They could carve out almost $30 right now and keep Hardaway, Frank, KP'S hold, Knox and their draft pick.

If they traded Hardaway and Frank for expirings, that's $23 more right there. So they would have $53 million... If they could dump Lee ($13 million), they could sign KD and Kemba to near max deals (about $37 each) with that $66 million.

I edited to,show Hardaway and Frank combine for $23 not $30.

My statistical comparison is this year when everybody is saying that Rozier is playing so poorly. The fact that he is playing so poorly yet is so comparable to Rubio just tells you where we are at PG.

Regardless of the stats, Rozier's defense would be an addition by itself.
I don't necessarily disagree that rozier would be an upgrade to Rubio. What I'm saying is that I don't really want to replace a guy who I think sucks with a guy who I think also sucks but just a little less.
I would rather get a good player.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Rubio, Thabo and our 2019 1st (top 18 protected) for Hardaway and Frank. http://tradenba.com/trades/HkV1WXgeN

If NY used our pick to dump Lee, they would have around $65 million to pursue KD and another. And their tank could be epic.

Frank is the only guy I think Mitchell is okay with trading Rubio for. Maybe Rozier, but Frank would be celebrated by Donovan.

They could carve out almost $30 right now and keep Hardaway, Frank, KP'S hold, Knox and their draft pick.

If they traded Hardaway and Frank for expirings, that's $23 more right there. So they would have $53 million... If they could dump Lee ($13 million), they could sign KD and Kemba to near max deals (about $37 each) with that $66 million.

I edited to,show Hardaway and Frank combine for $23 not $30.

66 is not the 72-74 they need though and once you start hitting things out you have to add back cap holds... and there isn’t stuff left to cut so you’d need to move Knox too. While the extra 6-8 M seems like no big deal it gets really hard to cut that much when there isn’t anything to cut. Start at Knox plus Noah plus KP caphold and you are at 28M add 8 roster holds and you are at 35M cap is set at 109... so that’s 74 but their first will be at least another 5M... those guys could take pay cuts but I doubt it.

It is so cruel that we had the best true PG and PF of all time (Duncan was a center don't get me started) and now we are on the doorstep of contention but PG and PF are our weak links.

PF is dead until one so dominant you can hide weaknesses emerges. Cousins is that guy and I'd love to see an old school experiment with him and Gobert.

66 is not the 72-74 they need though and once you start hitting things out you have to add back cap holds... and there isn’t stuff left to cut so you’d need to move Knox too. While the extra 6-8 M seems like no big deal it gets really hard to cut that much when there isn’t anything to cut. Start at Knox plus Noah plus KP caphold and you are at 28M add 8 roster holds and you are at 35M cap is set at 109... so that’s 74 but their first will be at least another 5M... those guys could take pay cuts but I doubt it.

You are right about a lot of this.

My main point is that they can go after KD and add others. Hardaway and Frank don't excite KD. If KD can go in and do like LeBron and hand pick some role players to join him, that is a great selling point.

Or NY can look to add another big player to KD. I think Kemba is a realistic option. He is a NY guy who has made only $12 million a year. If you can give him close to $30 and a chance to compete in the Garden, I think he jumps on that. He is that type of guy.

It is so cruel that we had the best true PG and PF of all time (Duncan was a center don't get me started) and now we are on the doorstep of contention but PG and PF are our weak links.

And dont get me started on Malone>Duncan. Malone did everything Duncan did but slightly better, but never had the advantages Duncan did to win titles.

Malone>Duncan

PF is dead until one so dominant you can hide weaknesses emerges. Cousins is that guy and I'd love to see an old school experiment with him and Gobert.
I've thought about this. Cousins probably too slow laterally, especially after injury, to guard any of these wing fours, but we'd own the glass everywhere, nobody would come inside, and WTF would the defense do against us? We can let Cousins be the trailer and stay on the perimeter, or let him muscle inside. If they put their true big-man on Cousins, hello Gobert lobs.

I've thought about this. Cousins probably too slow laterally, especially after injury, to guard any of these wing fours, but we'd own the glass everywhere, nobody would come inside, and WTF would the defense do against us? We can let Cousins be the trailer and stay on the perimeter, or let him muscle inside. If they put their true big-man on Cousins, hello Gobert lobs.
It would be terrible. Did you watch the Pelicans?

Davis/Cousins is a much better pairing than Gobert/Cousins, and the Pelicans were incredibly average with those two together. And that was before he had one of the most devastating injuries you can have in basketball.

You are right about a lot of this.

My main point is that they can go after KD and add others. Hardaway and Frank don't excite KD. If KD can go in and do like LeBron and hand pick some role players to join him, that is a great selling point.

Or NY can look to add another big player to KD. I think Kemba is a realistic option. He is a NY guy who has made only $12 million a year. If you can give him close to $30 and a chance to compete in the Garden, I think he jumps on that. He is that type of guy.

I think Kemba stays. He's loyal and doesn't have the star ego. He seems extremely happy to be there. He won't pass on the 5th year that Charlotte can offer... if they go max raises and years it's a 50M difference before factoring in NY taxes and living expenses.

If they get cheap he looks at NY. I think his preference is staying put.

If they do right by Kemba, they sign and trade him to NY. They have failed him in Charlotte. Guy has no help and won't have anytime soon.
I think Kemba stays. He's loyal and doesn't have the star ego. He seems extremely happy to be there. He won't pass on the 5th year that Charlotte can offer... if they go max raises and years it's a 50M difference before factoring in NY taxes and living expenses.

If they get cheap he looks at NY. I think his preference is staying put.