What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

I would give up X and the 2 firsts.
Gotta take a big swing at some point. Beal is as big a swing as we could possibly hope to take.
Beal, Spida, Stifle tower could be a legit big three.

Do any of us think X will be as good as any of those three? Do any of us think favors is part of the plan going forward? Do any of us think that a late first round pick will be as good as those three?

We would still have korver, Crowder, Ingles, and Rubio who would probably suddenly look much better with some combination of Crowder Beal Spida Ingles or Rudy starting with him.

Niang could play some back up 4 and udoh back up 5 (we could pick up some other dudes too.)

That starting 5 could be deadly if DM is who we think he is.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
Yeah, getting Beal using 2 1sts, Exum and Favors would be really aggressive but would be a title contending type move. Late 1st round picks and Favors are not too valuable to our current or future goals as a guy like Beal would be. I would love to do the trade without Exum because I still love his upside, but a big three of DM, Beal and Gobert with support from Ingles, Crowder, Korver and Rubio puts us in the national spotlight.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah, getting Beal using 2 1sts, Exum and Favors would be really aggressive but would be a title contending type move. Late 1st round picks and Favors are not too valuable to our current or future goals as a guy like Beal would be. I would love to do the trade without Exum because I still love his upside, but a big three of DM, Beal and Gobert with support from Ingles, Crowder, Korver and Rubio puts us in the national spotlight.

Would Washington care for Ingles rather than X? I'm thinking not at all due to age and contract.
Though maybe they could flip him to a contender for another pick?

Would Washington care for Ingles rather than X? I'm thinking not at all due to age and contract.
Though maybe they could flip him to a contender for another pick?

I just copied and pasted from that other thread since this thread is more appropriate...

I wouldn't want to send Ingles out under any circumstance. Losing Favors will scar some of the Jazz faithful enough.

I'm not sure that Washington would be enamored with Exum. If they aren't, getting Grayson, Bradley, Favors, 2 1st round picks AND shedding Dwight for next year could entice them. I just don't see them getting a better offer from Toronto, NOLA, Charlotte (without Bridges) or some of the other buyers out there.

Would a pg by committee work of Beal, Mitchell and Ingles? It concerns me but I feel like it could because Wall’s been out so damn much and I think Beal runs the point. Maybe not on paper but he’s the one with the ball in his hands and distributing.

Mitchell-Neto
Beal-Korver
Ingles-O’Neale
Crowder-Sefalosha
Gobert-Udoh

Would a pg by committee work of Beal, Mitchell and Ingles? It concerns me but I feel like it could because Wall’s been out so damn much and I think Beal runs the point. Maybe not on paper but he’s the one with the ball in his hands and distributing.

Mitchell-Neto
Beal-Korver
Ingles-O’Neale
Crowder-Sefalosha
Gobert-Udoh

Where does Rubio go in that scenario? I don't see us trading Exum AND Rubio.

But to your question, I think we can run some of these lineups:

- Mitchell, Beal, Ingles, Crowder and Gobert
- Rubio, Mitchell, Beal, Crowder and Gobert
- Rubio, Mitchell, Beal, Ingles, and Gobert
- Mitchell, Beal, O'Neale, Crowder and Gobert

Let Mitchell come off the bench then. The chucker. Instant offense.

Rubio-Mitchell
Beal-Korver
Ingles-O’Neale
Crowder-Sefalosha
Gobert-Udoh

Mitchell’ll have to buy into 15-20 a night.

Rubio-Mitchell
Beal-Korver
Ingles-O’Neale
Crowder-Sefalosha
Gobert-Udoh

giphy.gif

Rubio-Mitchell
Beal-Korver
Ingles-O’Neale
Crowder-Sefalosha
Gobert-Udoh

I think you meant to say that Rubio would have to buy into 15-20 per night.

Without doing any research I'd have to assume another team could offer the Wiz a better package than the Jazz could for Beal. @tonstermits

You are probably right, but let's break down what the other likely candidates are:

Toronto
Players: Valanciunus ($17+ next year - does Washington even want him?), Powell (bad contract), Van Vleet (any improvement over Satoransky?), CJ Miles (eh, $8+ next year), OG Anunoby (they probably wouldn't trade him), Siakam (probably wouldn't trade him)
Picks: Can't trade a 1st until 2021
Overall - unless Toronto trades OG or Siakam, Toronto really doesn't have a great offer. All of their contracts they would have to attach to one of those guys are pretty bad. We offer a better situation in terms of draft picks.

NOLA
Players: Hill ($13+ next year), Mirotic (valuable, but expiring), Moore ($8.5+ next year), Randle (valuable, but expiring), Wesley Johnson (worthless expiring player), Payton (expiring), Frank Johnson (only young, extended contract player)
Picks: They have all theirs
Overall: Unless Washington loves Mirotic and Randle and wants to gamble on bringing them back this summer, Favors and Grayson/Bradley or even Exum is as good or better. Draft picks are even because us with Beal or them with Beal about the same.

Charlotte
Players: Batum (no for Wiz), Biyombo (no for Wiz), Marvin ($15 next year), Zeller (no for Wiz), Kidd-Gilchrest ($13 next year), Lamb (expiring), Kaminsky (eh), Bridges (excellent trade piece if they are willing to trade him), Monk (okay piece)
Picks: They have all theirs
Overall: Charlotte can definitely beat our best offer if they send their 2019 and 2021 1sts and send Bridges. The Wiz would have to take a big contract like Biyombo or Marvin, but the picks and Bridges makes it worth it. Without Bridges, we can beat Charlotte's best deal.

Houston
They simply don't have the combination of picks or a young player that Washington would want. Even if they send 3 1st round picks, Washington's best returning player would be Knight and Chriss.

Miami
Players: Whiteside ($27 million next year), Tyler Johnson ($19 next year), Dragic (redundant with Wall), James Johnson ($15 next year), Waiters ($13+ th next two years), Olynyk (a player who might fit in Washington - decent contract), Richardson (great contract), Ellington (expiring), Adebayo (rookie deal)
Picks: Miami doesn't have 2021 so they could send 2019 and 2023
Overall: Miami could probably beat any of our deals if they send any three of Richardson, Adebayo, Olynyk, Ellington and the 1sts.

Lakers
They aren't going to risk losing AD in the summer by moving one of their 4 young guys (Lonzo, Hart, Kuzma, Ingram) for Beal before the deadline

Detroit
I don't think it's worth discussing since the best they can offer is Kennard, Stanley Johnson, bad contracts and picks. Maybe if they send a 3rd 1st but....

So I think our biggest competition is Charlotte (if they send Bridges) and Miami (if they send a number of their decent players).

Last edited:
Just curious: how many of you would feel better about the Jazz if we obtained BOTH K. Love and Otto Porter while moving Rubio, Favors, Crowder, and Sefolosha (and probably also a first and second round pick)?*

I believe the moves would fit money wise, but also likely mean we wouldn't be players in FA for a while. They are of course highly unlikely, but I think are theoretically possible and interesting to consider.
I'm not really sure whether I'd go this direction if it was available.

Likely starters: Gobert, Love, & Mitchell, + two of Porter/Ingles/Exum
Likely functional bench: one of Porter/Ingles/Exum + Korver, Royce, Udoh
Likely deep bench: Neto, Allen, Niang, Bradley, etc (for example, call up Naz, Cavanaugh; buyout pickup)

The obvious comment is we'd lose quality depth, defense, PG playmaking, and perhaps toughness in exchange for hopefully better shooting/spacing/scoring, front-court playmaking, and usage hierarchy.

*Would probably require something like:
Trade 1: Rubio, Crowder, 2nd rounder for Otto Porter
Trade 2: Sefolosha & 1st rounder (from Jazz) + Gortat & Jerome Robinson or 2nd rounder (from Clippers) to Cavs; Love to Utah; Favors to Clippers

Okay, regarding Beal.

Nuggs—Nope. 1 seed despite a ton of injuries. Don’t see it.
Dubs-No.
Thunder-Don’t have the assets. Shroeder, Roberson and 1sts? Meh.
Rockets-Don’t have the assets imo.
Lakers-A possibility. Ingram and KCP. That would be a little tough to pass up Ingram (unless there are better offers of course) though I feel like he’s stagnated some.
Clippers-Good assets but not the type needed for Beal imo.
Blazers-McCollum and the kid from Gonzaga could make a lot of sense for both teams. Maybe Portland would have to throw in a 1st too.
Spurs-Have Demar.

I don’t think he makes much sense on any other Western team as those teams aren’t contenders. Though I guess he wouldn’t have a say in matters. Otherwise, DSJ and something else could make sense.