What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

No!!!!! Mitchell played his first good game it feels like forever. Against the Cavs may I say as well. And everyone thinks he's a superstar. Where the numbers say hes been hurting his team the 2nd most in the league. By numbers! Whilst Dante is out here killing it. Wtf no!!!

If you follow my logic throughout the thread, you'll see that I want to keep Exum. Worst case scenario, you sacrifice Exum if you have to in order to get Beal.

Without doing any research I'd have to assume another team could offer the Wiz a better package than the Jazz could for Beal. @tonstermits

You are probably right, but let's break down what the other likely candidates are:

Toronto
Players: Valanciunus ($17+ next year - does Washington even want him?), Powell (bad contract), Van Vleet (any improvement over Satoransky?), CJ Miles (eh, $8+ next year), OG Anunoby (they probably wouldn't trade him), Siakam (probably wouldn't trade him)
Picks: Can't trade a 1st until 2021
Overall - unless Toronto trades OG or Siakam, Toronto really doesn't have a great offer. All of their contracts they would have to attach to one of those guys are pretty bad. We offer a better situation in terms of draft picks.

NOLA
Players: Hill ($13+ next year), Mirotic (valuable, but expiring), Moore ($8.5+ next year), Randle (valuable, but expiring), Wesley Johnson (worthless expiring player), Payton (expiring), Frank Johnson (only young, extended contract player)
Picks: They have all theirs
Overall: Unless Washington loves Mirotic and Randle and wants to gamble on bringing them back this summer, Favors and Grayson/Bradley or even Exum is as good or better. Draft picks are even because us with Beal or them with Beal about the same.

Charlotte
Players: Batum (no for Wiz), Biyombo (no for Wiz), Marvin ($15 next year), Zeller (no for Wiz), Kidd-Gilchrest ($13 next year), Lamb (expiring), Kaminsky (eh), Bridges (excellent trade piece if they are willing to trade him), Monk (okay piece)
Picks: They have all theirs
Overall: Charlotte can definitely beat our best offer if they send their 2019 and 2021 1sts and send Bridges. The Wiz would have to take a big contract like Biyombo or Marvin, but the picks and Bridges makes it worth it. Without Bridges, we can beat Charlotte's best deal.

Houston
They simply don't have the combination of picks or a young player that Washington would want. Even if they send 3 1st round picks, Washington's best returning player would be Knight and Chriss.Mia

Miami
Players: Whiteside ($27 million next year), Tyler Johnson ($19 next year), Dragic (redundant with Wall), James Johnson ($15 next year), Waiters ($13+ th next two years), Olynyk (a player who might fit in Washington - decent contract), Richardson (great contract), Ellington (expiring), Adebayo (rookie deal)
Picks: Miami doesn't have 2021 so they could send 2019 and 2023
Overall: Miami could probably beat any of our deals if they send any three of Richardson, Adebayo, Olynyk, Ellington and the 1sts.

Lakers
They aren't going to risk losing AD in the summer by moving one of their 4 young guys (Lonzo, Hart, Kuzma, Ingram) for Beal before the deadline

Detroit
I don't think it's worth discussing since the best they can offer is Kennard, Stanley Johnson, bad contracts and picks. Maybe if they send a 3rd 1st but....

So I think our biggest competition is Charlotte (if they send Bridges) and Miami (if they send a number of their decent players).
I will change my icon to a G rated pic of Dwight Howard being a 6'11 bottom if the Wizards trade Beal. They're not doing it, especially for any of these offers.

If the Wizards really want to tank post ASB, they'll come up with some BS injury for Beal after they've shipped out Porter Jr and sit him the rest of the season.

If the Wizards really want to tank post ASB, they'll come up with some BS injury for Beal after they've shipped out Porter Jr and sit him the rest of the season.

I would be absolutely blown away shocked if both Porter AND Beal are on the roster after the trade deadline. The only way I see it being possible is if they start winning. Other than that, somebody will get traded. With or without Wall, they don't work together.

I would be absolutely blown away shocked if both Porter AND Beal are on the roster after the trade deadline. The only way I see it being possible is if they start winning. Other than that, somebody will get traded. With or without Wall, they don't work together.
I don't think you can say that, Porter/Beal last year were a +5.3 together in 2199 minutes played. Porter has played poorly this year and they're a -2.1 this year together, but that's still the best net rating for Porter + one of their starters for the year by a significant margin.

Wall has always been the one who struggles to co-exist with the rest of the team, Beal and Porter compliment each other's games well when Porter isn't sucking.

I don't think you can say that, Porter/Beal last year were a +5.3 together in 2199 minutes played. Porter has played poorly this year and they're a -2.1 this year together, but that's still the best net rating for Porter + one of their starters for the year by a significant margin.

Wall has always been the one who struggles to co-exist with the rest of the team, Beal and Porter compliment each other's games well when Porter isn't sucking.
Yeah, but Wall is hurt and wont get traded. We know that.

So like I said earlier, they would have to start winning before the deadline to keep Beal AND Porter. If they dont win enough and we all know they all 3 don't work well together, a change will be made.

I think they will trade Porter, but if Beal low key asks for a trade, they will trade him.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah, but Wall is hurt and wont get traded. We know that.

So like I said earlier, they would have to start winning before the deadline to keep Beal AND Porter. If they dont win enough and we all know they all 3 don't work well together, a change will be made.

I think they will trade Porter, but if Beal low key asks for a trade, they will trade him.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Yes... but I was talking to your point about Beal/Porter not working together which is historically incorrect which is why I brought up Wall.

I don't understand why they *have* to start winning before the deadline to keep Beal and Porter. The Wizards have no obligation to trade those guys by the deadline if they don't want to, and they're not going to get anywhere near a fair deal for Beal in any kind of trade so unless he straight out demands a trade they're not going to move him. Porter may be moved for the right deal but after dealing Oubre I'm not convinced the Wizards are desperate to get rid of him as it leaves their wing depth super thin.

If the Wizards suck even with those two guys then why trade one when their trade values are low if they can just continue to suck/sit them, secure a draft pick, and then come back next year with Wall/Beal/Porter/high draft pick/etc instead of Wall/high draft pick/couple of mid round or late draft picks/young prospects that problably won't get to the level of Beal?

Yes... but I was talking to your point about Beal/Porter not working together which is historically incorrect which is why I brought up Wall.

I don't understand why they *have* to start winning before the deadline to keep Beal and Porter. The Wizards have no obligation to trade those guys by the deadline if they don't want to, and they're not going to get anywhere near a fair deal for Beal in any kind of trade so unless he straight out demands a trade they're not going to move him. Porter may be moved for the right deal but after dealing Oubre I'm not convinced the Wizards are desperate to get rid of him as it leaves their wing depth super thin.

If the Wizards suck even with those two guys then why trade one when their trade values are low if they can just continue to suck/sit them, secure a draft pick, and then come back next year with Wall/Beal/Porter/high draft pick/etc instead of Wall/high draft pick/couple of mid round or late draft picks/young prospects that problably won't get to the level of Beal?

Did I say that Porter and Beal don't work together? I was talking about Wall and Beal. Sorry if I was misunderstood there.

Washington underachieved with Wall/Beal/Porter before this year. They were terrible this year even after they added Ariza before the Wall injury. So if they don't at least make a decent run over the next month, they are dumb to keep it together. There are teams right now who want Porter despite his contract. There are teams who would pay a ton to get Beal.

If they traded one of those guys for expirings, Washington could tank. I just don't see Beal liking a tank. I don't think Porter has enough clout to fight it off. If they trade Beal, it just makes sense. They get a boat load for Beal, shelve Porter due to his nagging knee injuries, and develop Troy Brown the rest of the year. Without Wall, Porter and Beal, Washington would be a bottom 4 team and could be in the Zion sweepstakes. Some rookie isn't going to fix the Wall/Beal/Porter dynamic.

Last edited:
Did I say that Porter and Beal don't work together? I was talking about Wall and Beal. Sorry if I was misunderstood there.

Washington underachieved with Wall/Beal/Porter before this year. They were terrible this year even after they added Ariza before the Wall injury. So if they don't at least make a decent run over the next month, they are dumb to keep it together. There are teams right now who want Porter despite his contract. There are teams who would pay a ton to get Beal.

If they traded one of those guys for expirings, Washington could tank. I just don't see Beal liking a tank. I don't think Porter has enough clout to fight it off. If they trade Beal, it just makes sense. They get a boat load for Beal, shelve Porter due to his nagging knee injuries, and develop Troy Brown the rest of the year. Without Wall, Porter and Beal, Washington would be a bottom 4 team and could be in the Zion sweepstakes. Some rookie isn't going to fix the Wall/Beal/Porter dynamic.
The original post I quoted seemed like you were talking about Beal and Porter and I even directly mentioned them and you still went on so it definitely seemed like you meant Beal and Porter lol.

They were bad but they had an absolutely brutal early 15 - 20 game stretch where it seemed like every one of their early games after their home opener were on the road in the West, and by the time they got home and were ready to rattle off some wins Wall had already quit on the team and Beal was frustrated too (that practice they had where Beal called out Ernie was great). They made some moves and looked semi decent again but then Wall's foot injury came in.

I get what you're saying I just don't agree that they would get tons for Beal.

I think we go 10-6 at worst over the next 16. Worse than that and I’m really disappointed. Better than that and I’m feeling pretty darn good.

That puts us at 30-26 with 26 games to go.

I think we go 15-11 at worst after that. That’s 45 wins.

I don’t have a ton of confidence in our consistency at this point but should we continue our upward trend (especially our backcourt), I’d guess we win 47-48 wins.

Would love to get super hot and win 10 of the next 12 or something.

We’d be in a great freakin’ spot.

Guy rolls an ankle and he’s glass? He’ll be back in a couple weeks... that injury could have happened to anyone. Timing really sucks.