2020 Presidential election

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gandalfe, Dec 31, 2018.

1. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    Alfalfa and gandalfe like this.
  2. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2018
    gandalfe likes this.
  3. gandalfe

gandalfe Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    That disregards that this is Politifact, which is unaffiliated with Politico.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using JazzFanz mobile app

Alfalfa likes this.
  4. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015
    The link I left in the above comment is the best in depth description I have come across describing that part of Trump's constituency that attends his rallies. I wanted to emphasize it is not a "bash Trump supporters" hatchet job. It describes rally attendees honestly, in their own words. I see them as "victims" of a personality cult, certainly not the way they see themselves. Fellow Americans seriously misguided, but fellow Americans nonetheless.

Another part of the Trump base, which will be there for him in 2020, barring events none of us can predict, are American evangelicals, Christian nationalists. I did not know it at the time, but a month before the midterms, a film opened in 1000 theaters nationwide. Titled "The Trump Prophesy", it described the belief that Trump represents the fulfillment of biblical prophesy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/opinion/trump-evangelicals-cyrus-king.html

Also recently, leading evangelical Jerry Falwell Jr. proclaimed that sympathy for the poor is something his god intended for the next world, not this one: The man whose institutional mission includes being “a voice for the voiceless” then meditated on the uselessness of the poor — “A poor person never gave anyone a job. A poor person never gave anybody charity, not of any real volume. It’s just common sense to me.” He then suggested that it might be immoral for Christians not to support Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/01/04/evangelicals-infallible-new-faith-gospel-trump/

I have little to no patience for Christian nationalism, that strain of Christianity that believes god is on America's side, and always has been. From the 19th century belief in America's god ordained manifest destiny to stretch "from sea to shining sea" to Falwell's belief that Trump's enemies are god's enemies, I think it's sick. But there they are, another integral part of Trump's portion of our electorate.

Trump, a president for some Americans, and the leader of a personality cult, backed by people who claim to be Christian, but who are nationalists more then anything else.....

One Brow likes this.
  5. dalamon

dalamon Well-Known Member 2018 Prediction Contest Winner

Nov 5, 2010
    Bernie needs to run, and he'll win if he does.

6. Joe Bagadonuts

Joe Bagadonuts Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    He'll be 79, and he looks 179.

Wes Mantooth and fishonjazz like this.
  7. Alfalfa

Oct 10, 2018
    Ya, it's over for Bernie.

Wes Mantooth likes this.
  8. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    Ya I love Bernie but he is too old I think

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

9. Stoked

Stoked Well-Known Member Contributor 2018 Award Winner

Dec 13, 2011
    Tulsi Gabbard announces she is running for President.

10. Alfalfa

Oct 10, 2018
  11. The Thriller

The Thriller Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    And the Russians couldn’t be any happier. She’s an isolationist, pro life, nationalist, and anti-establishment from the left. Russian disinformation campaigns will look to boost her in attempts to split leftist voters. She won’t win the nomination, but much like Sanders or Stein she potentially could draw a certain type of voter from the left and hurt the party’s nominee in the general.

Whether or not she actually has much of an impact on anything remains to be seen. But for sure the Russians love this and will try to use her.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  12. gandalfe

gandalfe Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
  13. Gameface

Gameface All-Jazzfanz First Team! Contributor 2018 Award Winner

May 25, 2010
    I'm sensing major stupidity from the Democratic party. I think the D vote will be split, possibly three ways, and many Ds will take their ball and go home and let Trump get re-elected.

Wes Mantooth likes this.
  14. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Too close to Buttplug.

LogGrad98 likes this.
  15. RJF

RJF Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    As if you would really object to that...

Wes Mantooth likes this.
  16. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015
    The Democrats are afraid Howard Schultz running as an independent would hand the election to Trump, and Schultz is afraid the Democrats nominating a progressive would hand the election to Trump. (And, right now, Joe Biden would become the Democratic frontrunner if he announced, despite his age).

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/29/6895...dependent-bid-for-president-is-a-radical-idea

"If there is a choice between President Trump and a progressive, liberal-minded person on the Democratic side, it would kill me to see President Trump be re-elected," Schultz, a "lifelong Democrat," said in his interview on NPR. "And I believe that's what would take place."

17. DutchJazzer

DutchJazzer Banned

May 26, 2010
    who cares about this. this thread is too early!

first we have to get a ruth abder ginsburg replacement. it will be EPIC!

the butthurt and reee-ing would be amazing

18. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    Relax.

Everyone knew that there would be a big pool of Dems in the primary.

I think people are overreacting to all of this. Honestly, just by this April people like Howard Shultz will be long forgotten. I think the country has had enough already of a clueless rich blowhard with zero political experience.

By the time primary season actually begins, I think there will be a wide variety of democratic candidates. The debates will be interesting. I honestly don’t fear Dems getting butthurt like last time and staying home for the General. 2016 was such an anomaly

I think it’s good to have debates about good and big liberal ideas finally. For years democrats acted like republican lite. It’s about time we talk about raising marginal taxes, single payer systems, and Green job proposals.

gandalfe likes this.
  19. Gameface

Gameface All-Jazzfanz First Team! Contributor 2018 Award Winner

May 25, 2010
    You're pointing out exactly what I think might cause the problem. You think the Ds are going to fully embrace "good and big liberal ideas" but there is a real chance they will not, and you'll get Republican lite. If that's what the Democratic establishment gives you there may be some who decide it doesn't matter as much as they thought it did.

20. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    I disagree. Republican lite is fine and i think most will vote for that over third party, trump, or sitting at home.

You’re missing the point I made in the previous post. What I, and many other Dems I’ve spoke to like is that the party has a wide range of political beliefs. That includes more conservative and establishment ideas and candidates and more progressive ideas and candidates. Views and ideas that 50 years ago were more mainstream but since Clinton have been shunned. I personally love AOC and her 70 percent marginal tax rate rhetoric is exactly the type of discussion we need to have. It’s substantive.

Unlike the republican debates where all tax rates are demonized and they’re comparing the sizes of each other’s hands.

Gameface and fishonjazz like this.