What's new

2020 Presidential election

The electoral college system ensures that individual states, including smaller states, have an impact on the election of the President and are not just overridden by large states. The creation of states' rights and the decentralization of power among those states is part and parcel to the electoral process that the founders envisioned.

A popular vote removes the power from the states entirely, placing it with the individual citizens. California's citizens don't vote as a block, they vote as individuals. Same for the citizens of Texas, Hawaii, and Wyoming. Far from being nationalized, the power to elect a President is decentralized. Conservative in California now cast votes that matter, as do liberals in Wyoming. The founders also envisioned power being retained by citizens and voters individually.

"I am sorry that they are finding themselves in this situation based on assurances they got from me," he told NBC News in an exclusive interview.

In an email to her daughter shortly after the attack, Hillary Clinton blamed it on terrorism. But when I saw

Hillary Clinton at Sean’s coffin ceremony two days later, she looked me squarely in the eye and told me a video was responsible.

You you provide of video of her saying that? In the one you offered, she said something different.

Well, the issue is that if the electoral college system is abolished, then states don't mean anything and political power is nationalized.
I have always thought of the president being a representative of the nation.
So it makes sense that the nation should decide on the president rather than a handful of swing States.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

The electoral college system ensures that individual states, including smaller states, have an impact on the election of the President and are not just overridden by large states. The creation of states' rights and the decentralization of power among those states is part and parcel to the electoral process that the founders envisioned.
Only a handful of swing states, regardless of size, have an impact on the election.

California's citizens don't vote as a block, they vote as individuals. Same for the citizens of Texas, Hawaii, and Wyoming.
Conservative in California now cast votes that matter, as do liberals in Wyoming.

This.
I for one think it would be cool if my vote actually counted.
Weird that some people prefer a system that makes their (and millions of others) vote not count.

A popular vote removes the power from the states entirely, placing it with the individual citizens. California's citizens don't vote as a block, they vote as individuals. Same for the citizens of Texas, Hawaii, and Wyoming. Far from being nationalized, the power to elect a President is decentralized. Conservative in California now cast votes that matter, as do liberals in Wyoming. The founders also envisioned power being retained by citizens and voters individually.

If you feel this way, then go ahead an add abolishing the electoral college to your list of grievances.

It's a direct quote

"when I saw Hillary Clinton at Sean’s coffin ceremony, just days later, she looked me squarely in the eye and told me a video was responsible."
https://www.politifact.com/article/2016/jul/19/checking-patricia-smiths-claims-about-clinton-and-/
So NOW what a person says is testimonial fact. When it go with your preconceived thoughts.

When someone simply gets direct quoted about something Trump did suddenly it means nothing to you.

It's a direct quote

"when I saw Hillary Clinton at Sean’s coffin ceremony, just days later, she looked me squarely in the eye and told me a video was responsible."
https://www.politifact.com/article/2016/jul/19/checking-patricia-smiths-claims-about-clinton-and-/

The woman who also said, "I blame Hillary Clinton personally for the death of my son." She's an impartial observer?

What's really funny is that if Clinton had been giving out details on the attack before everything was certain, you same people would have been criticizing her for that, as well. As long as you can criticize Clinton, nothing else matters on these issues.

If you feel this way, then go ahead an add abolishing the electoral college to your list of grievances.

"Grievances"? Really? I apreciate that you can't make a serious argument to support you position, so you need to trivialize other positions.

I'm not even sure if I have a position on the Electoral College. It stopped doing what it was supposed to do by the election of John Adams, but we've gotten by just fine with it.

Only a handful of swing states, regardless of size, have an impact on the election.

The states that qualify as "swing states" change from time to time, however. Last year, you could argue that the "swing states" included Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan and North Carolina, as well as Ohio and Florida. Labeling a state as a "swing state" is really just a political analyst concluding that other states are very likely to vote with one party or another going into an election.

I am unsure what my appropriate political label is. Can anyone suggest websites where I can answer questions that help me know what term I can use which generally encapsulates my political ideology?

"Grievances"? Really? I apreciate that you can't make a serious argument to support you position, so you need to trivialize other positions.

I'm not even sure if I have a position on the Electoral College. It stopped doing what it was supposed to do by the election of John Adams, but we've gotten by just fine with it.

I did make a serious argument to support the electoral college system. The country, as a whole, is comprised of 50 states, each of which has sovereign rights in the process of electing the President. If you remove those rights, you remove the meaning of states in the electoral process. That's apparent.

If you want to abolish the electoral system, and you regard my response to you as trivializing, then so be it. You can react however you like.