What's new
  • This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

2021-2022 hot takes thread

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I personally don't care too much about the quality of analysis, don't think it's needed for a good broadcast. What I do like about Holly is that she is anti cringe and just does a good job without being awkward which is a good offset for Boler and Thurl cheesiness. I don't mind the cheesiness, it's not the worst, but it was too much with KK sometimes.
I think sideline reporting is best done by people that know their **** and notice nuanced stuff that they can ask questions about. I think KK is better in the 10 minute pre-game specials... she asked questions like "what were you thinking when you dunked that Rudy" "how does it feel to get this win" it was kinda Steve Brown-ish but less awkward (that guy was something).

KqWIN

I think sideline reporting is best done by people that know their **** and notice nuanced stuff that they can ask questions about. I think KK is better in the 10 minute pre-game specials... she asked questions like "what were you thinking when you dunked that Rudy" "how does it feel to get this win" it was kinda Steve Brown-ish but less awkward (that guy was something).

I thought I erased Steve Brown from my memory....that guy was terrible lol.

I can't think of anything good that has come out of a nuanced question during or immediately after a game. I don't actually mind the "how does it feel" questions because that's all the players can really answer in the moment. I think the biggest problem with KK is that she's kind of a dork and while that's endearing in a way there's too much dorkiness on that broadcast already. Don't think she had to be the one to go but the cheesiness level was too much.

I actually loved this interview the other night. Lamar is a great interview, but the questions weren't anything nuanced. Just done in a way to get the emotion out of the player after a hard fought game. Sometimes professionalism > wackiness.

TheGoldStandard

I don't know her or remember her work... I just think she likely has had to work harder than most to get where she is and is likely quite good at her job... so if you think her job is annoying that is one thing... if you think she is annoying that is another. I think she is likely the best sideline person we've ever had (which isn't saying much).

Doris does a lot of research... especially for a national broadcaster. I like her well enough but sometimes people go overboard with the praise for her. I also here some call her annoying or grumble when she comes on the TV... I will take her over Reggie Miller, Chris Webber, Mark Jackson, and Hubie/Marv (they just too old) any night. I like Van Gundy (even though he gets a little whiny), Eagle, Breen, etc.
I also like Van Gundy. Burke has a great tv voice, so I don't mind listening to her. My only concern with her is while she clearly does research (or likely has someone cribbing for her), for the small market teams, she misses a lot. But that is national media generally. Webber, Miller and Jackson are just plain awful. Generally NBA players that go into broadcasting aren't great. Harp did a decent job, but I don't think he liked Boler. Boler also has a great broadcasting voice, although I think he calls it in sometimes, and his signatures sayings are annoying as can be.

I have no doubt she is better than KK, but she was also annoying. I think all sideline reporters are annoying. That is is better than KK only makes it worse if the idea is we get more off court time. I can't think of one sideline reporter I like.

There are many college football fans that couldn't stand Holly. I know many of those wanted Erin Andrews due to the hot factor, but most/many were just generally annoyed by her.

During the game, I don't want to see the faces of any of the broadcast team. Really, I don't want to hear them. I mostly watch the other teams feeds, as I get more insight anyway...

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Here’s what a good broadcast needs:

- Show the game. Don’t miss an inbound steal or a quick play because you’re planning to the bench, or the crowd, or interviewing someone. Don’t make me miss watching free throws because of a promo.

- Show me the highlights really quick at the dead ball. Don’t have a big highlight happen then make us watch everyone stand around at the next dead ball.

- Show me the highlights of all questionable calls so I can get more angry about being screwed.

- Be able to tell me what’s going on (with calls and such) that I can’t observe on the floor when something confusing is happening — Boler is bad at this and gives the wrong call… there’s no special insight there.

- Say something stupid every now and again so I can laugh at the fact that this is televised. Boler can be good for this.

- You’re welcome to tell me whatever tidbits you think are important. I don’t care.

This is all that’s needed for a good broadcast. Except for ****** camera angles. Don’t give me any ****** camera angles. Give me the standard angle all game except on dead balls.

KqWIN

- Show the game. Don’t miss an inbound steal or a quick play because you’re planning to the bench, or the crowd, or interviewing someone. Don’t make me miss watching free throws because of a promo.

- Show me the highlights really quick at the dead ball. Don’t have a big highlight happen then make us watch everyone stand around at the next dead ball.

- Show me the highlights of all questionable calls so I can get more angry about being screwed.

- Be able to tell me what’s going on (with calls and such) that I can’t observe on the floor when something confusing is happening — Boler is bad at this and gives the wrong call… there’s no special insight there.

- Say something stupid every now and again so I can laugh at the fact that this is televised. Boler can be good for this.

- You’re welcome to tell me whatever tidbits you think are important. I don’t care.

This is all that’s needed for a good broadcast. Except for ****** camera angles. Don’t give me any ****** camera angles. Give me the standard angle all game except on dead balls.

2-3 years ago the Portland broadcast would show and alternate angle for at least a third of the possessions and they would often cut mid play. I guess the truck guy got paid on the amount of transitions. Made me feel like puking from the motion sickness.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2-3 years ago the Portland broadcast would show and alternate angle for at least a third of the possessions and they would often cut mid play. I guess the truck guy got paid on the amount of transitions. Made me feel like puking from the motion sickness.
Yeah, transitioning during a possession sucks. But also having to watch an entire possession of a court-side camera is also terrible. There's this idea that you need to keep trying new things but I don't believe any more than 5% of people (if that) like any other angle other than the standard angle.

KqWIN

Yeah, transitioning during a possession sucks. But also having to watch an entire possession of a court-side camera is also terrible. There's this idea that you need to keep trying new things but I don't believe any more than 5% of people (if that) like any other angle other than the standard angle.

Agreed. They should only change the camera angle between plays when they are showing a player run back or whatever. There is only one angle I want to watch an actual play happen and that's the one where I can see everything. I haven't met a single person who likes the weird angles.

If the NBA wants to try new things, I suggest they start focusing on the actual basketball again. Everything about the game experience, whether you're in arena or watching from TV, is there to distract you from the on court product.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner

Don't ****ing split my screen to show the picture of the person you are interviewing... Like I don't need to see the coach's face as big as the game since you are running both at the same time.

To add to your stuff above... I like the dumb every game stuff they do like the diamond play of the game and sub of the game. Don't need more of that I guess but i like that stuff. The defensive play of the game is great as well.

Humor would be a must if I was hiring someone... Ian Eagle is basically the perfect blend.. you don't want a clown but some quick wit humor or dry jokes here and there go a long way.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Agreed. They should only change the camera angle between plays when they are showing a player run back or whatever. There is only one angle I want to watch an actual play happen and that's the one where I can see everything. I haven't met a single person who likes the weird angles.

If the NBA wants to try new things, I suggest they start focusing on the actual basketball again. Everything about the game experience, whether you're in arena or watching from TV, is there to distract you from the on court product.
Me Never: This game is cool but I wonder what it looks like from floor level of the opposite side baseline?

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
There will be off-color jokes made about Rudy Gay's name.

Lol... Rudy.