What's new

2021 Free Agency

Some random thoughts:

- I don't see the fascination with Paschall. Doesn't rebound or play defense particularly well. Good at mid-range shooting, but we probably don't need more of that now. I'd just as soon keep Morgan as the "break glass in case of emergency" backup PF/small-ball C.

- Forrest has done enough to get a full roster spot. Between him and Butler, hopefully, we have our needs at backup PG/defensive guard covered. We won't have a "stopper," but at least we'll have someone who Quin may trust on both ends of the floor to present a different look for five minutes when Jamal Murray goes off against us in the playoffs.

- I'd probably plan on keeping Hughes, for now anyway. I'm less committed to Oni and Brantley at this point. Their defense is OK, but may not be worth waiting for the offensive effectiveness to come around. Perhaps better to look for a replacement, someone whose defense is perhaps better and has fewer limitations on offense.

- I'd probably lean toward Winslow as a replacement preference, though I could be perfectly happy with Exum or Frankie N. While they all have severe shooting limitations, they at least seem to feel the NBA game's speed/athleticism to better function within an NBA offense than Oni and Brantley. They'd all be reclamation projects, and I wouldn't expect any of them to succeed, but at least I'd have a glimmer of hope. Winslow could be yet another D-Wade influenced move and he'd probably be the best of the bunch at guarding anyone 2-4 (though maybe his injuries have made him simply unable to defend effectively anymore?).

-Ennis would be a safe, servicable alternative for a final roster spot that addresses defense on the wing. He'd likely be better than other options offensively (but lacks the playmaking of the three above), though I think he's neither particularly athletic any more nor all that special at defense.

I'd be pretty pissed if we used Doke to get Paschalle. Actually I'd be mad if we gave up anything but a late second. Not sure what his NBA skill is long term that the Jazz have a need of.

Here's how I would put the priority:

1. Stanley
2. Winslow
3. Brantley
4. Oni
5. Frank/Exum

In any case, I'd rather go upside than a vet like Ennis or Miller

Who is Stanley?
tenor.gif

@Elizah Huge So, the circumstances are totally different. John Collins was drafted in 2017, the same year as Donovan. He got his deal a year later, which means the Hawks DID play hardball with him and refused to give him a max last summer when they could have. He still didn’t get the full max contract. See, the entire reason the Jazz had the leverage to say no player option to Donovan is they gave him a full max, gave it a year early(this is the reason why teams have never given out player options, they give the contract a year earlier than they have to to have that leverage), they also gave him the easiest path to a supermax (Collins didn’t get that) and a trade kicker(Collins also didn’t get that). So all this shows me is you don’t know how contracts work.

Btw y’all, here’s Donovan’s latest like on Twitter:

Keep fighting that the PO was a good thing, you have 2 more years to watch him on your team before he asks for a trade instead of 3. Exactly what I said was going to happen will end up happening, and you’ve got half the time left as the amount of time he’s already been here and he’s going to be a dark cloud over the organization the entire time. Enjoy.

Man your like a dog with a bone. Let it go. If it happens it does. Sitting around and *****ing or saying I told you so for the next two years is really sad and annoying

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Last edited:
Hearing the S&T that would land Spencer Dinwiddie in Washington, from Brooklyn, could happen as soon as today/tomorrow. It’s expected to be a multi-team trade, possibly expanding across 6-8 different franchises (thus the reason things are taking so long) - Twitter

Can we sneak in??